Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld recently talked with TomTom Vice President of Market Development Tom Murray, who revealed some additional details about the forthcoming TomTom for iPhone offerings. While the release date and pricing remain unknown (although the company is leaning towards a fixed price rather than a subscription model), Murray was able to talk a bit about the combination hardware-software solution and how the iPhone version will differ from traditional standalone GPS devices.

Hardware: TomTom will be offering a Car Kit for the iPhone, integrating a car mount, enhanced GPS receiver, built-in speaker, and power cables. The kit also includes an audio output jack, as well as a microphone to enable use of the iPhone as a Bluetooth speakerphone.
For starters, the Car Kit includes a separate GPS receiver that performs better than the one built into the iPhone; Murray said this receiver is closer to what you’d find in a dedicated GPS unit. The TomTom app uses this receiver when your iPhone is docked in the Car Kit, allowing for improved real-time navigation, especially in cities with large buildings or in locations with lots of trees or other natural obstacles. The Car Kit also includes a built-in speaker that provides better audio quality and considerably louder output, making it easier to hear spoken directions.
Software: Much of the functionality in the software will be similar to existing GPS devices from TomTom, offering a similar interface and TomTom's IQ Routes feature, although Murray couldn't address whether Map Share, which allows users to submit corrections to TomTom, would be available.
Mapping and navigation will apparently work much as they do on the company's standalone units, with a similar interface, most of the same core features, and similar voice-guided navigation. The app will include TomTom's IQ Routes feature, which takes advantage of other TomTom GPS owners' driving experiences to determine the actual speeds driven on particular routes at particular times of day. Murray said the "trillions of bits of data" lets IQ Routes provide accurate information about historical drive-speed norms, generating more accurate drive times and letting the software choose the actual fastest route, which may not be the same as the shortest route.
Beyond the traditional TomTom software features, the iPhone version will be able to take advantage of Multi-Touch gestures for interface navigation and zooming, and will also support both portrait and landscape modes.

While the iPhone presents some challenges in the GPS navigation arena, including a relatively small screen size and lack of support for background processes while requiring the iPhone to still function as a phone, TomTom appears to have embraced these challenges and developed some innovative solutions for release later this summer.

Article Link: More Details on 'TomTom for iPhone' Emerge

johnntd

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
Would never buy TomTom

TomTom is the worst GPS software out there from my experience. Their guidances are pretty much useless here in California. They have the oldest map that is at least 10 years old I think. My house is 7 years old and TomTom does not have it on its map. The user interface looks nice but that's all there is to it.

1voodoo4u

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Tom Tom waste of $, No Details

I suggest you save your money, The ATand T version of GPS (Turn by Turn) is a complete waste of $120 per year. you are better using the MAPS that came with the Iphone, Works Great. For the Extra Money Tom Tom is going to charge you. you might consider buying a dedicated GPS if that is the full feature you want. Why spend all the extra money with not a whole lot of results, This to me seems yet another way for a 3rd party to profit from Iphone owners and ATT is Horrible and I hope, the US Dept Of Justice who opened a case yesterday against Providers and Cell Manufatures becomes a full out law suit, Apple,ATT and Other you have taken your last $1 from me.........ohhhhhh wait did i just get a notice that MMS is now available? Nope still waiting, maybe i'll tell ATT my bill will be paid some time this summer........

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Sounds awesome. I hope they dont charge too much for it. I'd pay $50

I would be surprised if it is less than $80 for the maps, and less than $125 for the mount and maps. I'm guessing $150 for the combination.

EDIT: On second thought, $150 may be a little high, compared to TomTom's existing offerings.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I just wish they would update the look of their software. It's so terrible looking. Compare it to a Navigon-type styling and you immediately see how antiquated Tom Tom's software looks. That being said, GPS is typically for getting you from here to there, but who said it had to look like crap while doing it?

1voodoo4u

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
I would be surprised if it is less than $80 for the maps, and less than $125 for the mount and maps. I'm guessing $150 for the combination.

EDIT: On second thought, $150 may be a little high, compared to TomTom's existing offerings.

I'm still paying off my First Generatio iphone that i waited in line for and paid $600 for. Not to mention the cost for the 3G and the full price of the 3Gs, Come on HTC Hero, I'll use my ipod for music.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i have this growing feeling that tom tom will blow it and charge way too much for it.

expectations high going into a release and most people's lack of putting big money towards a fancy gps system = fail.

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
iPod touch?

am i the only one who thinks that this 'external' gps module could be used to turn an ipod touch into nav system?... and the iPod touch doesn't have the issue of receiving calls to worry about. PLUS the in built speaker would make it compaitble with ist gen iPod touches too!

just a though :rolleyes:

crackermac

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Google Maps

I'm pretty happy with the built-in Google Maps. It's all I ever use. It might take a little more work on my part to estimate when a turn may come up and periodically check to see where my next turn is, but it beats paying more money just for something to tell me, "Turn Left".

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
"Murray said this receiver is closer to what you’d find in a dedicated GPS unit."

to my knowledge (and my usage) this is utter nonsense, and the iphone has enhanced gps for faster sat finding, i don't buy it, this accessory will be over priced and unnecessary. i have navigon and it works perfectly with no extra hardware, so i suppose that means its better than the tomtom app aye?!?! lol they are out to make hardware profit because its what they know, it may sound paranoid but i feel better about buying a software satnav for iphone from a company not trying to peddle hardware to me.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i want the damn app to work w/o a damn receiver, so that i can use it on the go when im walking. i don't wanna carry a bulky thing. Will the tom tom app work w/o the receiver, but just not as fast, cause if so im happy with that.

yaktrax

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
AT&T Navigator GPS

I used the ATT Navigator on my IPhone recently on a trip and found it to be very accurate and reliable. I made two trips through downtown Atlanta Ga from East to West, then West to East. The Navigator made it very easy to stay on the correct course. Atlanta is a very difficult town
to drive in.I do have three complaints about it.
1. the reoccurring monthly cost
2. no secure location or bracket inside my vehicle to place the IPhone to track my progress while driving. I have to take my eyes off the road and that's not a good thing while driving through Atlanta.
3. The voice commands are difficult to understand with road noise.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Well the question I have is... Given the dock/charging unit from tomtom has a built in gps then does that mean that it'll function with an iPod touch?

D

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I'm pretty happy with the built-in Google Maps. It's all I ever use. It might take a little more work on my part to estimate when a turn may come up and periodically check to see where my next turn is, but it beats paying more money just for something to tell me, "Turn Left".

My thoughts exactly on this matter. I don't have a 3Gs that will show me which direction I'm headed or anything, but my plain ol' 3G with GPS works plenty good enough for me. It seems like this hardware addon might as well be a separate GPS having nothing to do with the iPhone. It has everything a regular GPS has, except it plugs into the iPhone... what's the point? It's a GPS without a screen. It's probably going to be expensive too, but just slightly less expensive than buying a cheap GPS unit. Waste of money if you ask me.

grs1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Well the question I have is... Given the dock/charging unit from tomtom has a built in gps then does that mean that it'll function with an iPod touch?

D

Do you think that the original iPhone or iPod touch will be supported...if so, this will be flying off the shelves

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I could never use gps on such a small screen; I would be squinting so hard at the screen I'd have a wreck first thing. If I ever get another gps unit (the last one that I had was a 4.3" dedicated unit) it will have as large of a screen as possible (there are 5" and 6" units out thee that would suit me fine).

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
i want the damn app to work w/o a damn receiver, so that i can use it on the go when im walking. i don't wanna carry a bulky thing. Will the tom tom app work w/o the receiver, but just not as fast, cause if so im happy with that.

If you'd have read the description is does work without the 'optional' mount. That is what optional means, it's not required.

My issue is wether it has a 30 pin port to hook up to my stereo that has a 30 pin connector giving iPod control with album artwork and does NOT have a aux input without buying more pricey hardware. If no tomtom can buy me a new stereo that is as good as my expencive Alpine hardware where the replacement has all the same features.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Do you think that the original iPhone or iPod touch will be supported...if so, this will be flying off the shelves

Aha! I knew there was a reason I kept my original iPhone when I got the 3Gs - that'd be prefect!!! :)

Also, why does the article say "relatively small screen"?? Roughly half of the GPS devices on Amazon when you type in "GPS" are 3.5" screens... (most of the rest are 4.3')

53buick

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
athens, ga
I call shenanigans. This is total bull*****. Why do I need a CAR KIT with all these accessories? there's a GPS in the damn iphone already. and i don't need more crap coming out of the my cigar lighters in my car. the kensington charger/mount i have works just fine. ooooh a car speaker? no way! oh wait i've already got 6 speakers in my car, you nimrods. They need to just release the turn by turn app and sell for $25. they'd make a killing. Google Maps is what I'm sticking with, jerks.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
I could never use gps on such a small screen; I would be squinting so hard at the screen I'd have a wreck first thing. If I ever get another gps unit (the last one that I had was a 4.3" dedicated unit) it will have as large of a screen as possible (there are 5" and 6" units out thee that would suit me fine).

I'd recommend glasses if it is really that hard for you to see big arrows on your iPhone a few feet from your face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.