Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilovemyipod!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Help, please! My ipod touch's USB port won't work when it comes to charging. When i connect it to my ihome, the stereo part works, and it will still play music, but the charge icon will not show up, and the battery won't charge. When i tried connecting it to my computer, a bubble comes up that says, "USB Device Not Recognized" and this also, will not charge my ipod. When the usb is connected to my computer and ipod touch, iTunes will not show up. I'm definitely not the computer savvy type, and i need this explained to me in plain english, if possible please. :confused:

If it makes any difference, i have never hacked my ipod, am using the USB that came with it, and this only happened after i tried connecting it to my brother's computer..(Which has a newer version of windows than the computer i use normally.)

Please, let me know what i can do.
-ilovemyipod! :(

P140897

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Help, please! My ipod touch's USB port won't work when it comes to charging. When i connect it to my ihome, the stereo part works, and it will still play music, but the charge icon will not show up, and the battery won't charge. When i tried connecting it to my computer, a bubble comes up that says, "USB Device Not Recognized" and this also, will not charge my ipod. When the usb is connected to my computer and ipod touch, iTunes will not show up. I'm definitely not the computer savvy type, and i need this explained to me in plain english, if possible please. :confused:

If it makes any difference, i have never hacked my ipod, am using the USB that came with it, and this only happened after i tried connecting it to my brother's computer..(Which has a newer version of windows than the computer i use normally.)

Please, let me know what i can do.
-ilovemyipod! :(

DFU Mode

ilovemyipod!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
okay, but:

Thanks,

But, even when i plug my ipod into he USB for my computer, itunes doesnt come up. And from what i've found out about DFU mode, is that itunes must first recognize that your ipod is connected, and you are given an option to restore. But i can't do any of that since my ipod isnt even recognized. So...???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::(

touchmybodyla

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
hi

the same thing had happened to me too, just yesterday and it's frustrating!!!
all my symptoms are exactly same as yours, and it has only 10% battery life left.

Any suggestions please?

thanks

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
I am having the same problem. But my mom's home computer is the only one that it won't charge on. It charges fine at work. Usually when I plug it into a computer Itunes will pop-up but my ipod won't even charge.

I tried shutting it off and turning it back on
I tried plugging it into a different USB port
I tried updating itunes

I'm not too sure what to do now.

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Easy Solution:

This has happened to me before, and this is what I do:

1. Unplug iPod/iPhone from all power sources.
2. Hold the Home and Power buttons together until you see the Apple logo.
3. Plug your device back in.

This has worked for me... it should work for you too.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
This has happened to me before, and this is what I do:

1. Unplug iPod/iPhone from all power sources.
2. Hold the Home and Power buttons together until you see the Apple logo.
3. Plug your device back in.

This has worked for me... it should work for you too.

still hasnt worked. its weird b/c it only happens on one computer.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
1) Try a different port on the computer?
2) Try a different cable?

As dumb as it sounds, I've seen both of these fix similar problems with other USB devices. (I've never personally seen this particular glitch with an iPod though, so no guarantees.)

If all else fails, take the computer and iPod down to your local Apple store and see if they can figure out what's going on.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Have you guys tried restoring? (AKA reset to factory default and resync—oppose to restoring from backup)

Memesiss

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Having Same issue

I am having the same issue with a second generation reconditioned touch. I got it to show up on my computer for about 3 minutes but it doesn't take a charge. So i took it to the apple store the geek told me that it was a "software issue"...okay im not dumb i have a 4 year degree in Computer Programming. I took the basics on software and hardware differences. There is no way a software issue causes the battery issue. I just want my dam ipod to work. Please anyone come up with a solution that doesnt require me to pay another 300 dollars for a 32g ipod....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.