Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Hi,
At the moment i have a new 2.6ghz mbp and am looking to get apple tv in the near future (or i may wait for an update)
Anyway i am reluctant to take up the hard drive space on my mac and so also bought an airport extreme base station and plugged a tb hard drive into it. I have put all my music on there and synced them to itunes off there. When i play my music off there it plays perfect without stuttering and even simplify media on my phone plays my library perfect. So the music side is doing exactly as i ask of it.
Now onto films. It has taken me a while to get my head around the old .mkv scenario but now have it sussed and am downloading 720p films that i know will be compatible with my future apple tv. (and resaving them in quicktime into .mov files) But what i want to do is also keep those on my external hard drive linked to my base station and play them on my macbook and apple tv off there.
This is where my ideology is falling apart. When i play the movies off it they stutter. Well the low quality ones dont but the better quality do. A member on here said that i am limited by the processor of the base station and its ability to read files off the hard drive. So i'd like some suggestions please. Do i;
A - Wait for an updated bases station (although i am using the non dual band at mo so could buy the latest one) But will apple tv be able to be synched to that instead of my mbp (dont want mbp turned on all the time).
B - sell my mbp get an imac and plug a couple of hard drives into that? and then get a 13" unibody for browsing net and what not (cant live without the unibody now it is so sexy)
C - is there a an equivalent to base station that i could use.

Sorry for rambling on hope someone can help me.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
You should try to move your video streaming to 5GHz 802.11n on your Airport Extreme. This will make sure that your MBP and AppleTV are using the full speed of their wireless connection. I do this with the same AEBS (non dual-band) that you have and it works well.

Right now you need to leave your MPB on while streaming to the AppleTV, but this will change when Snow Leopard comes out: http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/

jeb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
You should try to move your video streaming to 5GHz 802.11n on your Airport Extreme. This will make sure that your MBP and AppleTV are using the full speed of their wireless connection. I do this with the same AEBS (non dual-band) that you have and it works well.

Right now you need to leave your MPB on while streaming to the AppleTV, but this will change when Snow Leopard comes out: http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/

How do i change the video streaming to 5ghz? Sorry to be a pain.

jeb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
How do i change the video streaming to 5ghz? Sorry to be a pain.

Sorry jumped right in there without even looking into it. Mate you are a true legend that has sorted it out. The sound sync was a bit out with lips on the film i tried but that could just be the film.

And to think i was starting to doubt buying my beloved mbp. I am now back in love with it more than ever. Thanks again

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I had this same setup a few months ago (HD + AEBS + ATV). I didn't like the stutters which were really inconsistant so I got a 2009 Mini base model and plugged the HD right into it. I couldn't ask for anything better.

I've since upgraded the external HD to a drobo but I suppose that's another topic :)

jeb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Sorry jumped right in there without even looking into it. Mate you are a true legend that has sorted it out. The sound sync was a bit out with lips on the film i tried but that could just be the film.

And to think i was starting to doubt buying my beloved mbp. I am now back in love with it more than ever. Thanks again

So i thought this has had sorted out my problem but it hasnt. My films are still stuttering. Any ideas guys or should i just buy and old mac mini and use that as a server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.