Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Im just waiting for my ebay money to come through for my 3g model before I upgrade to 3GS.

I originally bought my 3g on launch day last year. And was binded into a contract with o2 until January 13th 2010.

However I plan to buy out my contract next week, so I can upgrade early to the 3GS. Does anyone know how much this costs, as I expect a few people have been in this boat???

My monthly fees are £55 which includes o2 Premier Insurance.

I plan on going on an 18 month contract for the 16gb 3GS in white

Thanks for the feedback :)

alangrehan

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
It will be £55 x the number of months left of your contract.
So around £330.00 to buy out.

Then, add the price of the handset.

O2 Insurance I think on my bill is £7.50...

you are not contracted to pay this... you can cancel it if you want...

Therefore I would presume to buy out it would be £47.50 x no of months left

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
It will be £55 x the number of months left of your contract.
So around £330.00 to buy out.

Then, add the price of the handset.

Yeah I know I dont have to pay off the remaining months insurance, so it's about £45. But I also understand regular spender of £50 and over have the opportunity to upgrade 3 months prior to the end of contract, So I presume I should be able to only pau up until October/November

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah I know I dont have to pay off the remaining months insurance, so it's about £45. But I also understand regular spender of £50 and over have the opportunity to upgrade 3 months prior to the end of contract, So I presume I should be able to only pau up until October/November

After 9 months you can lower your tarrif down. But only one step at a time. Ask them to take you off the iPhone tarrif and reduce it to £35, then the following month reduce it to £30, £25, £20 then ask them to pay off the remainder of your contract at whatever months left x £20.

This is what I'm doing. Just using the money to pay each months line rental until I'm down to £20 then going to pay it off. (A customer advisor told me to do it this way)

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008

If you pay up early, you have to pay your full term of the contract. (I asked the same question to the CS advisor).

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I upgraded to 3G from original iphone too (Apr 2010 contract is up), and I don't have the cash to do an upgrade of this method, and now i'm starting to think, forget it, the 3GS aint as groundbreaking as the 3G was from reading the "what 3GS features do you use stiil thread" , so I'm just going to keep the 3G.

There will surly be another revision of iphone not long after my 3G contract is up, which i'll be able to pounce on. If they are roughly coming out 1 a year, and this said next revision might not be locked to O2 only in the UK. So another plus for waiting it out on the 3G.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
I bough mine on pay and go.il be out of contract in jan so next year il upgrade quite hapilly.I dint see the point paying off your contract because you'll be paying another one anyway.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Your buyout fee will be your line rental times by the amount of months left on the contract, but minus VAT, if your paying £45 a month for line rental, of the top of my head that would be around £38 a month

vivid.

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Some will say this is a lie but i could not care less.

I rang 2302 from my O2 mobile to find out buy out cost. Was about 3 months worth of contract evan though had 7 months left on contract. Was quoted 155, am on the 45 tariff aswell.

I thought ill try in store and see what they say. Walked in, they said you are eligible for an upgrade now. I didnt argue, they didnt have any phones in but got the Guys name.

Went in on Friday to see if they had stock and they did, got a nice female who said exactly the same. They upgraded me there and then no hassle at all. So i paid the 80 quid for the 16gb White and walked out with 2 iphones, old one and new one!

So you MIGHT be lucky and get a free upgrade!

Also those trying to sell 3g to buy 3gs, check out http://www.mazumamobile.com/

They will give you £185.00 for 3g 16gb! I sold my old 2g via them.

Hope that helps

Craig

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K

I rang 2302 from my O2 mobile to find out buy out cost. Was about 3 months worth of contract evan though had 7 months left on contract. Was quoted 155, am on the 45 tariff aswell.

I thought ill try in store and see what they say. Walked in, they said you are eligible for an upgrade now. I didnt argue, they didnt have any phones in but got the Guys name.

Went in on Friday to see if they had stock and they did, got a nice female who said exactly the same. They upgraded me there and then no hassle at all. So i paid the 80 quid for the 16gb White and walked out with 2 iphones, old one and new one!

Hope that helps

Craig

Thanks for the info Craig,

I think you will get more money using ebay than Craigslist as most are going for approximately £300 (16gb)

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008

Hope that helps

Craig

Dont sell it on Mazumba Mobile. I sold mine last week on http://www.hotukdeals.com for £280.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
I got £315 after all paypal/ebay fees came out, But there is some dodgy buyers out there, so you just need to be careful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.