Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubby03

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
I have searched around by can't find a definite answer, so hopefully I can get some help.

I don't have surround sound, but I have my new Mini hooked up to my HDTV. When I got it, I forgot about audio so I looked into how I could connect it to my HDTV. I found some Toslink to Mini optical cables form Monoprice as it seemed to fit what I needed.

Going from the optical audio input on my HDTV to the Mini audio in. I thought this would allow my TV to control the sound on my Mini so that I can watch movies through Plex for example with optimal sound, but I still have the normal Mini sound which isn't loud enough.

After plugging the optical into the HDTV, the other mic end had the illuminating red light so I think the cables are OK. I bought a 3 and 6 foot one as I can use one with my iMac to go to my gaming mix amp if need be. Same issue with each cable. I looked at the Audio settings on my HDTV and don't see anything that I have to change, but maybe I am missing something.

I am hoping I am missing something, or maybe this type of cable will not work? People that bought this cable on Monoprice said they were hooking up their Mini to their receivers via optical connection, so I thought this would work just the same. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

cubby03

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
So I looked in my bin of cables and found an audio component cable. Tried it and it works. I should have maybe tried that first. I'll wait to try the optical cable again once I get a new receiver.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
If I'm not mistaken the audio on the mini is out only. So you would need this

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail.

What kind of TV do you have?

Also, what mpshay said.

cubby03

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Hey, thanks for your inputs. Well now I feel a bit silly as my TV manual indeed shows it as "Digital Audio Out to Optical In" as the type of connection it can make. I have the 2005 model Panasonic TH50PX50U model. I guess with no optical in on the mini, that would explain it. :)

I have been doing so much research in trying to get my Mini HTPC set up, that I guess I just overlooked this. I plan on getting a new sound system soon so once that happens I can use the cable I bought.

Now on to trying to solve my wired vs wireless network streaming options. So far wireless is not working as well as I had hoped. :)

Thanks again!!

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
In regards to your surround system, I would suggest piping all your inputs through the TV and using the optical cable to go into the receiver. Nice and simple.

It also depends on what kind of receiver you're getting and how much of an audiophile you are.

Either way, have fun with your mini!

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Current issue of MacLife has a detailed article on appletv and the macmini
as used in home video scenarios.

Haven't read it yet, but intend to. Looked good.

cubby03

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I will also try to check the article out once it hits. Take care! :)

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Most (if not all) television sets only have an optical out port, not an optical in, to send audio to a surround sound system.
You will need a surround sound speaker system to take advantage of optical audio. They are well worth the $200+ investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.