Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirkBreeuwer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Nice, the iPhone 3GS has been fully jailbreaked and unlocked in less than a month! Thank you geohot and team! Now, has anyone found a way to use Skype VoIP over the 3G network?

I followed this guide:

Here’s how:

1. Jailbreak your iPhone or iPhone 3G (don’t know how? click!)
2. Fire up Cydia
3. Search for “voipover3g”
4. Install VoIPOver3G
5. Enjoy 3G VoIP!

But when I open the skype app I got a message saying: This version of skype is not supposed to run over modified iphone software. But the app was still usable, not on the 3G network dough.

Has anyone got this working?

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Nice, the iPhone 3GS has been fully jailbreaked and unlocked in less than a month! Thank you geohot and team! Now, has anyone found a way to use Skype VoIP over the 3G network?

I followed this guide:

But when I open the skype app I got a message saying: This version of skype is not supposed to run over modified iphone software. But the app was still usable, not on the 3G network dough.

same here. just trying to figure it out, no answers on other forums either.

GregorioM

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
On a 2G there were two apps which would do the job of allowing Skype to work over a 3G connection: Tricker3G and VoIPOver3g. Unfortunately, neither of these seem to work on a 3GS iphone, even with Saurik's latest MobileSubstrate update.

At this point in time you, me and a bunch of others don't seem to have any other choice but to wait for the developer of either Tricker3G or VoIPOver3g to release a 3GS compatible update :(

G

Cap41

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
All you have to do is go to itunes app store and download the latest version of Skype. Mine works, i think its just a compatibility issue with 3.0

jdmstar

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008

I followed this guide:

Well i dont have a 3gs to test this, but i have a good feeling its the Bundle Identifier.

Voipover3g uses a .plist file that lists what apps are spoofed or tricked into using 3g as a wifi signal therefore the program would launch if it was not 3g or not.

But i cant see or browse your file dir for you so i wont know what type of Bundle Identifier it might be or if there is even one.

PHP:
Filter = {Bundles = ("com.Fringland.Fring", "com.apple.AppStore", "com.audiofile.Interstate", "com.apple.MobileStore", "com.skype.skype" , "com.icall.release.iCall");};

Now if you noticed skype is already on the voipover3g bundle by default. So you wont have to worry about that, but if the 3gs dont use bundles for that at all then the plist and voip over 3g is useless.

I have skype so ill see if can launch it and figure it out.

jdmstar

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Ok confirmed Skype over 3g works, just that i dont have any credits, but it did attempt to make the call.

I know of another way for you to make calls over 3g. just reply back if you want it or not.

GregorioM

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
All you have to do is go to itunes app store and download the latest version of Skype. Mine works, i think its just a compatibility issue with 3.0

I have a 2G OS3.0 iphone and Skype works fine with VoIPOver3g. From reports, it also seems to work fine on an iPhone 3G OS3.0 (although I don't own a 3G). However, installing either VoIPOver3G or Tricker3G on a 3GS OS3.0 iphone causes Skype, and one or two other apps, to just exit on instantiation (app store for example). So this problem seems specific to a 3GS iPhone, rather than to OS 3.0 in general.

As I also own a 3GS and ran into this problem last week, I've done some research and as far as I am aware, no one has yet managed to get VoiPOver3G or Tricker3G to work on a 3GS. BTW, I have the latest version of Skype and all the latest Cydia updates and still no go. Unless someone (jdmstar?) knows something I don't (which is entirely possible!) there is no alternative but to wait for an update to one of these two apps.

G

jenzo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
voipover3g and tricker3g do not work with the 3gs. anyone who posts that it does is mistaken.

now that mobilesubstrate is fixed for the 3gs, the ball is in the court of the makers of the respective apps.

i have heard that voipover3g will be updated in a few weeks ( once the maker gets a 3gs ) and might be charging for it.

also tricker3g creator tried to start a donation for his work and got hammered on modmyi forums. subsequently he took tricker3g off cydia altogether! dont know if it was due to the hammering or hopefully he is updating to support 3gs :) either way we are stuck with neutered slingplayers and skype till then...

SeaWind12

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008

I followed this guide:

Thanks for you post, your instructons helped me to get skype calls over 3G back on again on iphone 3G. 3GS is probably new and developers didn't work out stuff on it that well. i dind't have skype calls over 3G for agas not a month since i upgraded to 3.0 from 2.5
Thanks a million :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.