Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aramelus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi, I'm new to iTunes :confused: and I haven't found a convinient way to resume an album after I closing itunes. Let's say I'm playing an album (no playlist just a double click on the album), so that I see all track titles listed: Now 2 questions:
Whats the easiest way to resume to this view, after e.g. browsing the iTunes store, to select another song from the currently playing album?

When I close iTunes how can I resume playing the last played album? I can replay the last played song easily by selecting the last played playlist. But then I can't replay the complete album.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
If the album is still playing, and you're just browsing the store or whatever - click the little curly arrow in the Now playing window (it's off the right).

If you've completely quit iTunes .... not sure what you're expecting the software to do when you open it again.

aramelus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
If the album is still playing, and you're just browsing the store or whatever - click the little curly arrow in the Now playing window (it's off the right).

If you've completely quit iTunes .... not sure what you're expecting the software to do when you open it again.

Thanks for the tip with the arrow, thats what I was looking for ;)

For the second question when I quit iTunes while listening to an Album, than I want an easy way to resume listening to that album. At the moment I have to search for the album in the library again. Is there an easier way to find it? Possibly a 1 click solution play the last played album again. I used Winamp before and when I closed it and started it again the last used playlist was loaded again automatically, so that I just had to click the play button to resume listening.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
For the second question when I quit iTunes while listening to an Album, than I want an easy way to resume listening to that album. At the moment I have to search for the album in the library again. Is there an easier way to find it? Possibly a 1 click solution play the last played album again. I used Winamp before and when I closed it and started it again the last used playlist was loaded again automatically, so that I just had to click the play button to resume listening.

You could start typing the name of the album in the search bar to quickly navigate to it.

aramelus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
You could start typing the name of the album in the search bar to quickly navigate to it.

I was searching for a quick way 1-2 clicks ;)

EDIT: Is there an easy way to go to the correspending album for an song, e.g. a play complete album command/button.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well, if you just hide iTunes (Command+H, or clicking the red button), everything should be just how you left it when you open it up again.

If you quit iTunes (Command+Q, or Menu -> Quit), the application 'starts fresh' when you open it up again.

Not much more you can do, I guess ....

aramelus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Well, if you just hide iTunes (Command+H, or clicking the red button), everything should be just how you left it when you open it up again.

If you quit iTunes (Command+Q, or Menu -> Quit), the application 'starts fresh' when you open it up again.

Not much more you can do, I guess ....

I use iTunes on Windows :eek:

The behaviour is even more inconvinient when in mini player. When I close iTunes in mini player mode it opens up again in mini player mode which is fine, but instead of playing the last song/album that was played it starts with the first album in my library. So starting in mini player mode is completely useless (as I understand it :rolleyes: ) because unless I want to listen to the first album in my library I have to go to the full mode, select the album and then go back to mini player mode.

hexl

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
Shortest way I have found:

- go to 'Recently Played'
- right mouse click last played song and select 'Show in Playlist -> Music'

You see the library with the song selected, and album if the list is sorted on Album. But previous selections on Genre/Artist/Album are not restored.

I am still looking for a solution where iTunes automatically starts the way I quited it.

mountainchick

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
How to resume playback in iTunes once you've closed it

Before you close iTunes, open the Get Info on the track. Select Options and then check the Remember Playback Position box. When you reopen iTunes it will go directly to the spot you last played. You have to do this with each track when you close iTunes. Hope this answers your question :)

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Before you close iTunes, open the Get Info on the track. Select Options and then check the Remember Playback Position box. When you reopen iTunes it will go directly to the spot you last played. You have to do this with each track when you close iTunes. Hope this answers your question :)

This only works to save playback position within a song, not within an album..playlist...etc.

caliph

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
How to resume playback in iTunes once you've closed it

Shortest way I have found:

- go to 'Recently Played'
- right mouse click last played song and select 'Show in Playlist -> Music'

You see the library with the song selected, and album if the list is sorted on Album. But previous selections on Genre/Artist/Album are not restored.

I am still looking for a solution where iTunes automatically starts the way I quited it.

For Mac, there is now a script for this, where you use it inside of itunes to remember current song & quit, and then double-click the script to open itunes starting with this same song (see readme when download):
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=nowwherewasi

dougscripts.com is a good source for making itunes do what you want.

itunesisjunk

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
Just goes to show what a piece of crap itunes is. I have been endlessly frustrated by this and CANNOT believe that Apple has not fixed what it as it is obviously a glitch - at least it meets by definition of a glitch, I can't believe all you Mac lovers are just like "oh, I don't know, it's fine". How does it not drive you nuts?

At least give users the option of remembering last track/position played. To me, it should be like putting a CD into your stereo. You listen to a few tracks, then have to go out so you turn it off, come home later and you resume playback. Every time I open itunes it wants to play Dancing Queen by Abba! So frustrating. The simplest of options are either non-existent in itunes or take so much screwing around to complete that it's not worth the effort. I need to find an alternative quick...

charlienail

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
the applescript is not that useful

i completely agree. though i prefer mac, i used to be able to shutdown my computer then the next time i launched winamp it would automatically continue playing from where it was when i shut it down, if i paused or stopped first it would come back in the same paused or stopped state, i could listen to the rest of an album instead of trying to remember where i left off (almost impossible) and if it was playing when i quit it would automatically start playing too. this is such a simple setting 'remember play state' it would be trivial to implement.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Hopefully, in a future iTunes update. The resume playback was indeed included in SoundJam MP 2.5.3, from where iTunes was developed back in 2001.

Azmontana

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Hopefully, in a future iTunes update. The resume playback was indeed included in SoundJam MP 2.5.3, from where iTunes was developed back in 2001.

Any ideas if this has been implemented yet? Quite a basic yet useful function.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Not yet implemented on iTunes 10 just released yesterday. I just cannot believe it. This is an absolute must to listen from head to toe long song playlists on iTunes on Mac. Apple, please. Thanks.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah I was hoping for this feature too. Pretty lame. Any new solutions?

Domarius

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Wow, and this FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD is the top Google search result for "itunes remember last song played", which means Google considers it the most reliable page for the topic because there is nothing else more relevant.

To further add to Apple's embarrassment, simply typing into google "itunes remember l" will auto-suggest "itunes remember last song played" as the first result, meaning a lot of users are searching for this...

Marketing teams even for big companies, are so out-dated it's beyond a joke. They wouldn't know how to interpret Google's handling of the search as a serious missing feature.

iTunes should remember each last-played song for each playlist, and open to the last played playlist. Very simple. Not rocket science.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
iTunes Resume Playback not yet implemented on iTunes 11.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks). Just cannot believe it!

whak

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
This seems to do the trick for me after iTunes loads...

Press ►► (F9).
Press ►II (F8).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.