Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Woot!!

20090712-gfrjwtfh3tq4x5ige3pp3ry51.jpg

I love those new cans, they sound absolutely awesome on my Sony player but man they're really LOUD:eek::eek: on my MBP. Even with the Mac's volume reduced to one block, they're still loud! I guess that comes with high sensitivity? Anyone else got them yet?

I purchased them here in Japan.. and with the poor exchange rate they're a RIP! But I'm happy, I have awesome sounds in my head... can't get them back home unless you rise life and limb on fleabay!! :(

Compared to my UM2's they're a definite upgrade. Now I have another problem... What to do with the Shure 530's I got, cause they're still new, fully boxed, unused and in England.

Erlend31

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Could you please describe the difference between these and the UM2s?
I have UM2 myself, and find they sound very good. Are the W3 worth the money, a real upgrade?
Thanks! :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Could you please describe the difference between these and the UM2s?
I have UM2 myself, and find they sound very good. Are the W3 worth the money, a real upgrade?
Thanks! :)

For the record, I'm no sound expert, i'm just speaking from what I notice - personal experience, if you like:cool: Whether or not you choose to upgrade will depends on your personal taste/preference, usage and perhaps application, as you know, they're not cheap!!

We both know how the UM2's sound, so I won't ramble on, instead I'll cut to the chase:D (sorry if your reading this and don't have a clue... but you should try the UM2's a try!!):p

For a long time coming I never thought WestOne could ever improve on their existing sound signature, it was, in my ears at least, perfect!! But they managed it, it's impressive to say the least and now I dare say, I can't put them down!!:eek: IMO, best to be used with EQ off, completely!!

On my first encounter with my new cans I notice a very subtle difference with their new sound signature. In a sense, it's as much as upgrading from the original UM1's to UM2's but different!!:p

With my W3s in play, tracks in general sounded even more inviting than ever! Everything sounds more refined, enriched and somehow enhanced, possibly enticing! No longer am I sitting in the cheap seats, passively watching a concert in the arena; now i'm seated smack-bang in the centre stage and Liam Gallagher's singing to me, any closer and I'd be swallowing his toxic salver!! :eek: All auditioned with greater enthusiasm, with detail and sparkle which I never noticed before:)

Going back to the UM2's I noticed the bass and mid-range sounded ever-so-slightly muddy compared to the new, perhaps it's because it's one of those limitations with the two-way system? Only then will you notice there's something the UM2's have, the W3 doesn't. In my opinion my UM2's will still remain an very active part cause they sound absolutely wonderful for certain moods and musical taste; it still has an raw edgy sound but I'm sticking to the W3's.

And those so-called high-end triple.fi 10 pro, seem like another pair of iPod buds awaiting for the trash:p Complete garbage.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Btw...

If you're worried that the W3's are being too bright, then there's the UM3X which are the same physical size and fit to the UM2 but they have a three way sound system - and according to sources, they're supposed to be more inline with the musician monitors, where as the Westone 3 enhances the sound from digital audio players.

Erlend31

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks! I'm gonna look into these for sure! I thought the UM2 sounded very detailed and accurate in the midrange (with the right ear tips/sleeves), but if the U3s sound even better, wow! Cool.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.