Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masreipan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Connect_to_session.JPG

Connecting to ghost session.

Wanna_Wipe_It.JPG

Start the session.

Here_We_Go.JPG

Starting.

All_Done.JPG

All Done!

EFI_Whos_There.JPG

EFI is working, looking good.

Then_there_were_2.JPG

I see a Boot CD and a Windows Disk!

Then_there_was_1.JPG

Now I just see Windows XP!

Ta_Da.JPG

TA DAAAAAAAA!

The video of the reboot is on youtube :)

MAS

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
No, sorry. You're still using BIOS emulation (which is an element of the "Boot Camp" that most people are referring to when they say the phrase) if you're running XP on a Mac. All you've accomplished with this convoluted method is to wipe out your OSX partition and replace it with a single XP partition. Avoiding use of the Boot Camp Assistant does not equate to not using Boot Camp.

Hope you've got a drivers CD.

Question for you, though...what's the screen with the lock and input box that you have a screenshot of during bootup? My first guess is that's its a dialog for an EFI password, and if it is, I'd be delighted to know how you set that up. Most tips refer to the Firmware Password Utility on the OSX Install Disc which, sadly, doesn't do what yours is displaying (at least in my tries).

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
As has been said a million times already. Bootcamp is nothing more than a program that contains drivers and allows you to partition the hard drive. Thats all it does.

masreipan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
The thing is...

I know may Mac Zealots are asking why on earth I would do this to begin with? Let me answer that question first, the customer PAID me to do it!

Now to the underlying;

When imaging the IMac through NetRestore or Apple's ASR. If your windows image is 30 gig and then your OSX install is 20 gig then you have to xfer all 50gig when imaging. Notice the 7 gig total image size on these images. This is my production version of a Windows XP image that will serve 2500 users + a day in my environment.

This install (Ghost) has two partitions both native to the PC environment, no OSX partition period. I never said I wasn't using the proper hardware drivers :)

The 30 min image time is SWEET! Which is really all I was after.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
And it emulates BIOS...

Technically, it doesn't. However, when most people (read: less-than highly technical users) refer to "Boot Camp", they're actually referring to the BIOS emulation that was introduced to Intel Macs firmware a while back. Its not actually correct, but you have to be aware of what people mean when they say "Boot Camp." In actuality, Boot Camp is just a small OSX utility to nondestructively repartition your drive (just a frontend for diskutil) and burn you a copy of the Boot Camp Drivers CD, the 2nd part of Boot Camp.

So, technically, he got XP running "without Boot Camp." That's not all that much of an accomplishment, though, because all Boot Camp does resize your OSX partition and create a new partition for Windows (which he neglected to do). Of course, it's a bit useless -- unless he actually did use Boot Camp, he won't have all the Mac hardware drivers to use in XP. Seems like a pointless venture to me.

cwrighta70

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Of course, it's a bit useless -- unless he actually did use Boot Camp, he won't have all the Mac hardware drivers to use in XP. Seems like a pointless venture to me.

My apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just installed XP without using BootCamp (I booted from the CD to install, which very well may have been a mistake). Now I'm curious as to how I can get the necessary drivers? Can I use a different computer to download the drivers and burn to a disc? Obviously I cannot get online with the Mac, wired or wireless, since I don't have the right drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Just get Parallels, in my opinion its much better, it runs slower but you dont have to reboot your computer to run windows programs. you can also dl windows 7 for free still.

cwrighta70

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Rodus, I will give that a shot. Thank you.

iphone, unfortunately that is not the best option for me. The kind of software development I do requires a quick machine. I've tried Parallels before, and it was just to slow for my needs.

cwrighta70

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Rodus,

Does the CD needs to be run at boot? With the OS up and running, it just spits the disc back out.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Why buy a Mac if you're just going to use only windows on it. Just buy a cheap pc.

I can't seem to find the part in his original post where he said he was only going to run Windows on it. Perhaps you could point it out?

Just get Parallels, in my opinion its much better, it runs slower but you dont have to reboot your computer to run windows programs.

It's also more expensive. And how long does it take you to reboot your computer? All of 30 seconds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.