Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Close on the heels of the iPhone OS 3.1 Beta 2 developer release today, Apple has also seeded OS X Snow Leopard Build 10A411 to registered developers. The new seed comes just five days after the release of Build 10A402.

The new update weighs in at about 750 MB, considerably smaller than last week's 1.3 GB update. Specific changes in the latest build have not yet been revealed.
This Snow Leopard Developer Preview Update is recommended for all users running the Snow Leopard Developer Preview Build 10A402 or later. This update includes general operating system fixes for stability, compatibility, and security.
The public release of OS X Snow Leopard is slated for September, and the update will cost $29 for current OS X Leopard owners. Users who purchase a new Mac between June 8th and the Snow Leopard release can receive the updated operating system for $9.95 though Apple's "Up to Date" program.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Snow Leopard Build 10A411 to Developers

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

It is very interesting to see Apple seeding all the new builds via software updates. I don't think they done that before, not that I am complaining. I am happy and it also feels like they are ramping up the development of 10.6 considering that they are almost done with 10.5.8. We could be seeing updates coming every week.

Attachments

• screen-capture-1.png
    screen-capture-1.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 8,070

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
How come all the updates are so big? The last one was 1.3GB and seemed to introduce only a few minor cosmetic changes.

nictan

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
i just went online to register for the uptodate SL release. i filled in the online form and all, after that it directed me to the 'shopping cart' page, which has zero items in it. may i know if thats how its supposed to be? isnt snow leopard supposed to be in the shopping cart? im from singapore btw. i accessed it through the singapore apple store.

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
Wow, that was fast. Any visual changes? (Marble, anyone?)

Heres hoping, i am a fan of the new style dock menus, for some reason they seem way more responsive also (usually if i accidentally click an application + quickly right click it to force quit i have to wait a few seconds for the menu to pop up, it seems pretty much instantaneous now).

As a side note, is spelling auto correction system wide, or planned to be, as it doesnt seem to have an effect within safari?

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah I reckon the same - 1.3GB was pretty huge for what has been found out that it changed. Maybe this one will make 'sort' in stacks work and stop Mail.app crashing with Exchange.

Maybe it will stop colour calibrations resetting often on wake from sleep, but that has been a problem since 10.5.0 so then again, maybe not.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
How come all the updates are so big? The last one was 1.3GB and seemed to introduce only a few minor cosmetic changes.

You do understand that 10.6 is just for under the hood changes mostly right?

The huge size is probably for the kernel image integrity. It is much better to replace the whole kernel at once than changing certain files. A lot of frameworks probably got updated, more extensions were recompiled for 64bit and so on.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Looks like they've spread the purple UI beyond Safari to the Finder, iCal, and Mail

mistabaka

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2005
Is it possable that Software Update or some other download is how they will confirm you have Leopard to qualify for the $29 upgrade?

Maybe even just Download SL the installer realizes you have Leopard & then they send you the disk for later use? Or even a "Pick up at the Apple Store" option?

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Is it possable that Software Update or some other download is how they will confirm you have Leopard to qualify for the $29 upgrade?

Maybe even just Download SL the installer realizes you have Leopard & then they send you the disk for later use?

I don't think they do that to see who qualifies. What do you mean by downloading Snow Leopard?

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
It is very interesting to see Apple seeding all the new builds via software updates. I don't think they done that before, not that I am complaining. I am happy and it also feels like they are ramping up the development of 10.6 considering that they are almost done with 10.5.8. We could be seeing updates coming every week.

I personally love that they can issue the updates this way now, it's just so much easier. It's like Christmas every time that I update. Does that make me a nerd?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Maybe even just Download SL the installer realizes you have Leopard & then they send you the disk for later use? Or even a "Pick up at the Apple Store" option?

errr..... no.

mistabaka

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2005
I don't think they do that to see who qualifies. What do you mean by downloading Snow Leopard?

The SL beta's are being distributed via software update. Isn't it possable that they could be testing there servers for the general public to Download Snow Leopard. This could be how they confirm that you have Leopard before you get the $29 upgrade price. It's just a thought.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
pictures?

It's a joke. There is no purple stuff. People need to stop that crap.

One thing I noticed right away is the font in Dock Menus are now bigger and looks to have a different font. I have no idea which font.

Attachments

• Dock_Menu_Font.png
    Dock_Menu_Font.png
    494.3 KB · Views: 2,121
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.