Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Seriously, now that we finally have a phone that has enough memory to run Non-Apple apps in the background without crashing, "backgrounder" has completely filled up that empty space I felt while using my iPhone.

How many of you want to listen to Pandora,Slacker,Sirius,etc while you navigate in Safari, check out the latest FML's, Text, Play a Game,etc?

With the 3GS (Jailbroken) along with Backgrounder all that and much much more is possible!

Example:

I like to use Trapster from the App Store while I drive along with AT&T's GPS App and Pandora to listen to music. Thanks to the amount of memory the 3GS has I start up Trapster and run it in the background, I start up Pandora and play music then run it in the background, then I open the GPS and leave it there. Simultaneously I am listening to music from Pandora, Trapster is alerting me of police traps, speed cameras,etc and the GPS app is telling me where to go:p

It's awesome and for you people who haven't jailbroken your 3GS I strongly recommend you do! I haven't noticed any sort of slow down whatsoever and it adds so much more functionality to an already great device.

*******I will be making a video showing the multitask capabilities of the iPhone 3GS. Stay tuned.

RjaylinS06

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Yo i thank you so much for posting this. I had no idea the app store had trapster. My job in patient transport and I need this so much for the long trips i take and i can have it running in the background.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Yo i thank you so much for posting this. I had no idea the app store had trapster. My job in patient transport and I need this so much for the long trips i take and i can have it running in the background.

Hehe, no problem :) Enjoy it!

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Seriously, now that we finally have a phone that has enough memory to run Non-Apple apps in the background without crashing, "backgrounder" has completely filled up that empty space I felt while using my iPhone.

How many of you want to listen to Pandora,Slacker,Sirius,etc while you navigate in Safari, check out the latest FML's, Text, Play a Game,etc?

With the 3GS (Jailbroken) along with Backgrounder all that and much much more is possible!

Example:

I like to use Trapster from the App Store while I drive along with AT&T's GPS App and Pandora to listen to music. Thanks to the amount of memory the 3GS has I start up Trapster and run it in the background, I start up Pandora and play music then run it in the background, then I open the GPS and leave it there. Simultaneously I am listening to music from Pandora, Trapster is alerting me of police traps, speed cameras,etc and the GPS app is telling me where to go:p

It's awesome and for you people who haven't jailbroken your 3GS I strongly recommend you do! I haven't noticed any sort of slow down whatsoever and it adds so much more functionality to an already great device.

I have trapster, but is the push for when you are near a trap or is it just to alert when a new trap is up?

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I have trapster, but is the push for when you are near a trap or is it just to alert when a new trap is up?

The push just alerts you when new traps are up. It cannot alert you when you are near a trap because Trapster has no way of knowing where you are unless you 1) Have the App open or 2) Jailbreak, install Backgrounder and it will then alert you :)

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
That sounds like a great set up. Backgrounder worked terribly on the original iPhone on 2.0. Slugged it down until it was near-unusable.

It works flawless with the 3GS. Everyday I use that setup. Sometimes I don't use the GPS and just have Trapster with Pandora both in the background. Works perfectly. No lags, no crashes. Perfection :).

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
mquickdo is a pretty good pay app from Cydia. It enables advanced gestures to switch among running apps. It works really well with Backgrounder. There's a three-day trial as well so you can check it out. I just bought it this evening.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
mquickdo is a pretty good pay app from Cydia. It enables advanced gestures to switch among running apps. It works really well with Backgrounder. There's a three-day trial as well so you can check it out. I just bought it this evening.

Awesome! Never heard of it before, downloading now :)

jacobgaul

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
im notcing on my recently jailbroken 3gs that battery drain in standby is high, the only thing i have installed jb wise is winterboard and bossprefs, but its dropped 8% in the past hour alone.. it wasnt like that b4, i like the jailbreak but i think once my white 3gs comes in i wont be jailbreaking..

tboooe

macrumors regular
May 22, 2009
I really want to jailbreak just to be able to run some apps in the background...but I am too scared to do it! :)

----------------
Listening to: IMG_0043
via FoxyTunes

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
you notice bad battery drain with backgrounder?

Yes it uses more battery (makes sense since you are running more then 1 app at a time) but it's not that bad.

I really want to jailbreak just to be able to run some apps in the background...but I am too scared to do it! :)

You shouldn't be scared. I have never seen anybody do any permanent damage or what not to there phones, plus, you can always restore and its back to normal.

----------------
Listening to: IMG_0043
via FoxyTunes

oh its simple, i used purplera1n it took all of 5 minutes..

Yep! purplera1n or redsn0w will do the trick. Extremely easy both methods.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hmmm I'm gonna try this setup on my unlocked 3gs... I downloaded a new standalone gps app called gmap... The only problem I'd when you enable the gmap, you canT listen to the iPod so hopefully that fixes this issue. Plus it's gettng charged so it doesn't matter the battery gets eaten.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
I completely agree.
At startup iphone 3G has 38mb of free memory, iphone 3GS has 160mb. This makes a HUGE difference in what you can do.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I completely agree.
At startup iphone 3G has 38mb of free memory, iphone 3GS has 160mb. This makes a HUGE difference in what you can do.

Yes it does! My 3G couldn't even handle having Pandora in the background for a few minutes without crashing. Now I can run several apps without a problem:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.