Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iTunes 8.2.1 via Software Update and the iTunes download page. The new update "provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices."

132551-itunes_8.2.1_500.png

The update weighs in at 79.3 MB for OS X users.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 8.2.1

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

"Verification of Apple Devices" = "Apple TV disappearing from iTunes" ?

Macabee

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

"Verification of Apple Devices" = "Apple TV disappearing from iTunes" ?

I thought I was the only one that experienced that problem. Clearly not :)

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada

runeasgar said:
This should prove to be a dramatic day.

ROTFL.

Went on my MacBook Pro just fine. Granted, I don't use this iTunes as my primary and there's not much here, but the download & install was flawless.

Queue the people blaming iTunes for everything from missing MP3s to not taking out the garbage last week and having maggots hatch in the trash can...

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada

BRLawyer said:
I thought I was the only one that experienced that problem. Clearly not :)

It never disappears, unless you change network settings...if this is the case, you have to re-enter it on your Apple TV.

NO, some users have been having an issue where AppleTV just suddenly disappears from the "Devices" list in iTunes, and it (obviously) won't play any streaming content until you restart iTunes on the computer and reset (unplug) AppleTV.

I've heard of the issue, but it only recently started happening to me.

I have 2 AppleTVs (one wired, one wireless on an AEBS) and it seems to happen to each unit randomly. Sometimes just one will drop, sometimes both.

It's a bit of a pain. I've heard changing the channel of your Wifi might help, but since one of mine is wired, I don't think that's my problem. I haven't had any time to sit and play with it though.

Hopefully this version of iTunes plays mice with the most recent AppleTV update.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

NO, some users have been having an issue where AppleTV just suddenly disappears from the "Devices" list in iTunes, and it (obviously) won't play any streaming content until you restart iTunes on the computer and reset (unplug) AppleTV.

I've heard of the issue, but it only recently started happening to me.

I have 2 AppleTVs (one wired, one wireless on an AEBS) and it seems to happen to each unit randomly. Sometimes just one will drop, sometimes both.

It's a bit of a pain. I've heard changing the channel of your Wifi might help, but since one of mine is wired, I don't think that's my problem. I haven't had any time to sit and play with it though.

Hopefully this version of iTunes plays mice with the most recent AppleTV update.

Sounds like a DHCP renewal problem to me.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I just got off the phone with my friend, who owns a Pre. After updating to 8.2.1, his Pre no longer shows up in the iTunes sidebar.

Pre owners, you've been warned, I'd hold off until we find out if it is an isolated incident or not.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How is it that Apple can legally make it so the Pre's can't sync? What good does having the unencrypted MP3's do you if you can still only sync them to Apple products?

Not that I really mind, seeing as the only things I sync my music between is an iPhone 3GS, my old iPod 5th gen, and my iMac (aka, all Apple products.)

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Maybe they further sealed the doors to IPCC files as well? Even though our current concoction of modified IPCC files won't enable tethering on the iPhone... yet... perhaps they made sure with 8.2.1 it really won't happen.

dgrizzell

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
They're already being investigated for anti-trust issues due to the exclusive agreement with AT&T. I feel like Apple software only being able to work with Apple hardware is a legitimate competitive practice. If it hurts business, they'll end up opening iTunes to more MP3 players...but that won't happen anytime soon. :)

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Wonder if this will fix the quite annoying feature of random iTunes crashes when coming out of sleep.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
They're already being investigated for anti-trust issues due to the exclusive agreement with AT&T. I feel like Apple software only being able to work with Apple hardware is a legitimate competitive practice. If it hurts business, they'll end up opening iTunes to more MP3 players...but that won't happen anytime soon. :)

I feel Apple's main strength, tying software to hardware (ex. Mac OS X, iTunes syncing) is what makes everything run so smoothly.

If Apple is forced to open Mac OS X or iTunes, their will be drivers galore, issues and 1,000,000 times more problems because they have to make software to fight infinite hardwares configs (that ALWAYS causes issues).

zvandiver

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
If Palm wants to have the Pre sync with iTunes, then they need to buy a license from Apple to do that. Other companies have done so. There is a list of compatible devices on the Apple site.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

You can't sync an iPod with the Zune Software can you?

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.