Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexdump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new computer. An imac is really an option I'm handling. I mainly use computer for music and programming. How well logic perform in today imacs in terms of vsti's , etc...?

P.D My target machine would be a 2.9 HZ C2d imac.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
There are folks using MacMini's for pretty sizeable Logic projects. A modern iMac will be plenty powerful enough in most cases :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
how bout the 15" mbp base model?

I think what happens as you use smaller computers is you run into a limit on the number of software instruments you can run at once before you have to bounce or "freeze" a track.

The real limitation on a MBP is th screen size. 15" is very small for this kind of work.

As for real time performance. Logic and Garage band use the same engine. Logic's user interface and feature set is much larger but under all that the egines are the same and so the real-time performance will be the same. So, look a the activity meter while running GB to get a feel for it.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Apple stripped Logic of VST support, using AUs instead. AUs are great, but somethings still come only as VST, either because the company does not want to release a AU version, or because they have no clue how to build an AU version. There are VST wrappers, but I have not gotten them to function in Logic. Logic is a great program. However there still is a larger learning curve then others.

Logic is a great program, I currently am having some issues, but when it runs it runs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.