Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dunlapface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hey guys. I am new to the site, and a new macbook owner as well. My macbook only has a 120gb hard drive and I have already upgraded the ram to 4gb so before I start using it daily I want to get a bigger hard drive in it and the new Leopard OSX because I currently have the Tiger.

When I get my 320GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200rpm hard drive and I install it (which seems very easy to do, almost like the same as taking out and replacing the ram), what steps do I need to do when I boot up the laptop with the blank hard drive? Do I need to put the CD in before I boot it up? Will it prompt me to do anything as it boots up?

I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but I am new to the site so I don't really know how to navigate quite yet. If anyone can help me out that would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
get the leopard cd in your drive

when it boots' up and you hear the sound
Quickly press and hold C to boot from the superdrive/combo drive.

then install screen should go from there.

hopefully this will help you!

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
No worries. Put in your Leopard install disc that came with your computer, and while its starting up hold down option. Select the disc to boot from it.

The installation should be normal...if the installation errors out & the disc needs to be formatted go up to the menu bar under...applications? or utilities is what its called? And select disk utility. It'll need to be a HFS+ Journaled drive I believe. Then quit disk utility and that'll put you back in the installation phase.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey guys. I am new to the site, and a new macbook owner as well. My macbook only has a 120gb hard drive and I have already upgraded the ram to 4gb so before I start using it daily I want to get a bigger hard drive in it and the new Leopard OSX because I currently have the Tiger.

When I get my 320GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200rpm hard drive and I install it (which seems very easy to do, almost like the same as taking out and replacing the ram), what steps do I need to do when I boot up the laptop with the blank hard drive? Do I need to put the CD in before I boot it up? Will it prompt me to do anything as it boots up?

I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but I am new to the site so I don't really know how to navigate quite yet. If anyone can help me out that would be MUCH appreciated.

Boot from the Leopard Install DVD. Instead of installing, go to Disk Utilities to partition your hard drive. Choose "1 Partition" (or 2 or whatever other number if you want, but you don't need more than 1), set the file system to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" (or something like that), and under "Options" check that you got "GUID Partition Table". Quit Disk Utilities, and you are back in the installer and you can install Leopard.

dunlapface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Ok thanks. I just heard that some motherboards will only allow up to certain sized hard drives and it will only show the space that is compatible even if it is more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.