Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weyus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
All,

I recently purchased a MBP and a Time Capsule. Still waiting on the MBP, but went ahead and set up the TC as a router for my current Dell laptop.

In theory, I don't really care since I will have my MBP w/in 2.5 weeks, but is it possible for my Windows machine to see the disk on the TC?

I went into TC and set up the workgroup name to be the same as the workgroup on my PC, but I still don't see it.

I doubt anyone has done it, but was curious if it's possible. I assume that the Windows client should be able to access that giant disk (or a Windows user would never buy the product).

Thanks,
Wes

All,

I recently purchased a MBP and a Time Capsule. Still waiting on the MBP, but went ahead and set up the TC as a router for my current Dell laptop.

In theory, I don't really care since I will have my MBP w/in 2.5 weeks, but is it possible for my Windows machine to see the disk on the TC?

I went into TC and set up the workgroup name to be the same as the workgroup on my PC, but I still don't see it.

I doubt anyone has done it, but was curious if it's possible. I assume that the Windows client should be able to access that giant disk (or a Windows user would never buy the product).

Thanks,
Wes

I just rebooted my PC and I see a big-a**ed TC disk on Z:\ (929 GB).

Impressed @ Apple's interoperability.

One question though, it shows the filesystem as FAT32. Is that right, or just how it's represented to the Windows client?

Wes

Critical Hippo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Are you running Vista or XP on that Dell? My Windows XP laptop can access the disk without any problems. I couldn't see it in My Network Places at first; I had to go into Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > MSHOME (or WORKGROUP or whatever you've named it) and there it was. After I accessed it there once, it showed up as a folder in My Network Places, just like the shared drives I have on the other PCs in my house.

Windows Vista was a pain in the ass. I kept trying to access it through the Network folder, but I guess Vista kept trying to login with my Vista username and password rather than my Time Capsule username and password. I had to set it up through "Map a Network Drive" in the Computer section instead.

weyus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I'm on XP Professional SP2.

I don't see the drive anywhere in My Network Places.

After I rebooted, it just showed up as a network drive under Z:\. I didn't map it, though, it was just there.

Wes

winty03

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Not to hijack this thread, but I am trying to do exactly that...access the TC hard drive using a windows machine....and unable to. I have rebooted and still nothing. How can I see TC using windows?

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
This all depends on how the drive is formatted. Time machine can run on either HFS or FAT32, so you just have to look at how you formatted it. Chances are if it was set up on a PC, it was formatted as FAT32. But if it was set up on a mac, default would be HFS which means no PC will see it. And you wouldn't need to map it like a normal network drive because the airport utility you installed automatically took care of that.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
newappleboy, I'm sure the thread is referring to the internal HD of the Time Capsule, so there is no way of formatting it without taking the TC apart. I'm not entirely sure, but I've read somewhere that there have been people that have taken it apart and it seems to be formatted as HFS+, so it just might be the way Windows is choosing to report the drive.

winty03, assuming you've set up the workgroup name in the AirPort Utility under Disks > File Sharing, try adding your TC's network to any software firewall's trusted networks/zones list. I had to add my TC's IP to my McAfee firewall on my XP and the Norton firewall on my Vista PCs in order for me to see and access the drive. If that fails, there's a CD that came with the TC that has AirPort Utility for Windows. This includes a program called AirPort Base Station Agent, which loads into your taskbar and allows you to mount the drive with the username and password set in TC.

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
This all depends on how the drive is formatted. Time machine can run on either HFS or FAT32, so you just have to look at how you formatted it. Chances are if it was set up on a PC, it was formatted as FAT32. But if it was set up on a mac, default would be HFS which means no PC will see it. And you wouldn't need to map it like a normal network drive because the airport utility you installed automatically took care of that.

Yeah, but i've got macdrive installed and i cant see it!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
How the drive is formatted does not matter for a network drive. For a PC to see it it should be made available via SMB, not just AFP.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
With the TC, any drives both internal and external are available through both SMB and AFP. It's just a matter of getting Windows to recognize network attached drives. Install AirPort Utility for Windows and have it mount the disk. And be absolutely sure that the Workgroup is the same in both your Windows network setup as well as within the Time Capsule setup using AirPort Utility. Additionally, you may need to add your TC's IP address to the list of trusted networks in any third party firewalls you have installed.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
When working over the network, the underlying file format is not what matters, but the file sharing protocol. To access accessible devices under Windows, I recommend you install Bonjour. This *should* fix any network devices not showing up.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
When working over the network, the underlying file format is not what matters, but the file sharing protocol. To access accessible devices under Windows, I recommend you install Bonjour. This *should* fix any network devices not showing up.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
You need to install Bonjour on your PC - this will enable you to view the drive.

Actually, you don't need anything!
It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted, you dont need to install bonjour, you need to make sure the Workgroup & WINS Server are the same as your PC's work group. Simple as that. :apple::apple:

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Actually, you don't need anything!
It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted, you dont need to install bonjour, you need to make sure the Workgroup & WINS Server are the same as your PC's work group. Simple as that. :apple::apple:

Hi there

I've been struggling with this on and off for a while and haven't been able to get it to work.

As it's not been essential, I've just ignored it until I can be bothered to try again, but now I kind of need to be able to access the Time capsule's drive, and an external USB drive I've connected to it.

Could you elaborate on the setup procedure for Workgroup & WINS Server?

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

/Doug

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Hi there

I've been struggling with this on and off for a while and haven't been able to get it to work.

As it's not been essential, I've just ignored it until I can be bothered to try again, but now I kind of need to be able to access the Time capsule's drive, and an external USB drive I've connected to it.

Could you elaborate on the setup procedure for Workgroup & WINS Server?

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

/Doug

All i done was enter PCDNET, which is my workgroup in the Workgroup & WINS on my TC, also done the same for Workgroup on my PC, thats all, it finds the drives in Network places.

nargar

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Hi there folks,

apparently I can't transfer 8GB files to TC storage as it is FAT32 formatted. Is there a way to format the HDD in TC to NTFS, or shall I give up TC just because I use Vista?

Appreciate any help on this.
Thx.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The hard drive in the TC is actually formatted HFS+, with Windows using SMB to connect to it via the TC. Windows shows the drive as being formatted FAT32 but in fact it is not. I've transferred files over 8GB to my TC from my Windows machine without an issue. It would be pointless for Apple to release a product meant to back up hundreds of gigabytes worth of data that has an inherent flaw of only being able to hold files no larger than 4GB (FAT32 is limited to 4GB file size).

If you have tried and have failed, your issue may be with Vista or Vista's connection to the TC timing out. Try transferring while connected via Ethernet maybe?

Kfire12

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
TC with windows

Hi I am new to the forum and was reading this thread and wanted to add.

I had the same problem when bought my TC, after reading many forums about getting my Windows 08 server to see the TC. I found that though Bonjour would see it, however, downloading the Airport Utility for Windows was the easiest way. Also, it maybe be helpful to mention that just putting in the ip address assigned to the TC in windows explorer is another way of connecting.

Hope that helps some folks out there!!

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia

So based on my understanding from reading this thread, if I plug an external hard drive into the Time capsule (i.e. FAT32 or HFS+ but NOT NTFS), as long as it's in a format supported by Time capsule, it'll work on Windows and Mac machines connected over the network?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
So based on my understanding from reading this thread, if I plug an external hard drive into the Time capsule (i.e. FAT32 or HFS+ but NOT NTFS), as long as it's in a format supported by Time capsule, it'll work on Windows and Mac machines connected over the network?

Yes. But Apple recommends HFS+, according to this knowledge base article:

"The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule support USB storage devices that are formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS-plus), FAT16, or FAT32. Formatting a storage device as Mac OS Extended with journaling is recommended, as it may provide some more resilience if the device is removed or powered down while in use.

Note: ExFAT and NTFS formats aren't supported.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule allow for sharing storage devices based on the format used to initialize the storage device. For example, if HFS-plus formatting was used, AFP and SMB/CIFS protocols are used to share the device on the network. If a FAT format was used, only SMB/CIFS protocols are used."

Both Windows and Mac machines will be able to access the drive. From what I understand, Windows will use the SMB protocol and Macs use AFP (and maybe SMB sometimes?).

Regards,
Brian33

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yes. But Apple recommends HFS+, according to this knowledge base article:

Both Windows and Mac machines will be able to access the drive. From what I understand, Windows will use the SMB protocol and Macs use AFP (and maybe SMB sometimes?).

Regards,
Brian33

Thanks very much. I'm just thinking from a practical perspective, in the event something goes wrong with my girlfriend's Mac when she's away on exchange, that she can still use the external hard drive with a Windows machine... therefore I'm leaning towards potentially using FAT32.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Just a quick thanks for this thread.

I was having the same issue, and installing Airport Utility for Windows did the job perfectly - now both the internal TC drive and the external drive connected to the TC's USB port are accessible in Windows. :)

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Just a quick thanks for this thread.

I was having the same issue, and installing Airport Utility for Windows did the job perfectly - now both the internal TC drive and the external drive connected to the TC's USB port are accessible in Windows. :)
So, if I install Airport Utility on my Windows 7 based Dell, I can access my backup files from my iMac within the time capsule's internal drive? Please answer if you know because I need to access these files and don't want to screw up my computer or TC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.