Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Hello!

I was wondering if the power switch icon - that is used on most every computer and piece of electronics these days - is free of rights? Meaning, can someone use it for a business logo, for example?

In the specific case I am thinking about, the symbol would be modified a bit but would still retain the familiar imagery. Could the business face trouble for this?

See here for a picture of the power switch icon:

Linky

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I really doubt you need permission to use such a universal symbol. I looked
around and found these links. the quote is from the link that follows it.

BeatnikPad

"The design of the Power icon doesn’t communicate “power” on its own. Its origin is a mystery, the subject of many questions and few concrete answers. Nevertheless, through repeated use on many devices, the Power icon is a success."

DesignerCorner

Dale

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies!

Macrumors enjoys such a helpful community!

Both your answers confirm what I was thinking but a little reassurance is always welcomed.

Unibody5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I've thought of the "O" being a complete circuit (wire), and the "|" being something to break it?

pesawyer

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
I'm not sure but I think the origin is in binary "1 and 0" for "on and off" respectively. Then with common use of momentary push button switches this has evolved into the 1 inside the 0 to create the familiar symbol we see on everything today.

eellingb

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
Iso/iec 5009

The symbol is from ISO/IEC 5009. Quote from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_symbol

"IEC 5009, the standby symbol (line partially within a broken circle), indicates a sleep mode or low power state. The switch does not fully disconnect the device from its power supply. This may appear on a toggle switch opposite a power on symbol, alone on a pushbutton that places the device into a standby state, or alone on a button that switches between on and standby.

Alternatively, under IEEE 1621, this symbol simply means "power".[2]"​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.