Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alljazz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Hello,

I am thinking about getting an IMAC 24" with Mbox 2 PRO FIREWIRE. What I want to know is this a good choice for a home studio doing piano and smooth Jazz recordings. The Imac has 2.66 Processor, 4 Gig RAM, 360 GIG HDrive.
SO is it a poor, good, or great choice to run PROTOOLS LE 8. I am familiar with hard disk recording and and upgrading to a computer based system from a standalone system.

Thanks,
Steve

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
how many channels will you record at once? how many will you play back at the same time? how many software instruments are you planning on using in a song?

if the answers are "more than four," "more than 32", or "dozens," then, no, your setup will not work.

otherwise, you're fine.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
The Mbox 2 Pro will do six in at a time...

I'd personally go with a M-Audio ProFire 610 or 2626 and Pro Tools M-Powered.

The conversion and pres are better than the MBox. (and apparently better than the Digi 003 too)

kcfroines

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I've been using the exact computer you're talking about with really good results!
I'm using LE 8 with a 003 and it handles everything I'm throwing at it. the session I was just working on a few minutes ago had close to 50 tracks (including quite a few Aux Sends being used) at 96k/24bit audio, with many different plugins running

. while working in that session the RTAS and Disc Usage never went above 30%

I'd Highly recomend it!

_KF

alljazz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
You have been using the IMAC 24" with 2.66 Intel chip, 4GIG RAM, ETC??
You are having no problems with it?? How does the PT 8 look on your 24" screen?? I bet pretty nice.

I only plan on recording maybe a few tracks at a time, will play back many, and use several plugins. Mostly solo piano, smooth jazz material, some orchestral type scores. etc. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I'm sure the iMac has enough power for what you do ! With the right audio settings it won't be a problem to record at all. And it will be fun.

It will run great with PROTOOLS LE 8 .

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I only plan on recording maybe a few tracks at a time, will play back many, and use several plugins. Mostly solo piano, smooth jazz material, some orchestral type scores. etc. Any input is appreciated.

A real piano or a keyboard? A real piano, I think, means a couple audio tracks at least. But if it is a keyboard you can record either midi, the stereo line outs or if you have it, SPDIF. As contradictarty as it souds, I think spdif will give the best quality analog audio. Actually you can record both the midi and audio at the same time and choose later.

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
How about MacBook Pro 13"

I want to start a cg animation studio and i will get a Mac Pro for animation and video editing but my friend who will do the scores and soundtrack is in another city and I want to get a MacBook pro 13" Core 2 duo, 2.26 ghz, 2 gb DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9400m. Money is extremely limited otherwise I would go better. Do you think this system will handle the job?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.