Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CVito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
I am in the process of JB, my device has gone black and redsn0w says "waiting on reboot" it has been a good 5 minutes and nothing....is this normal??

onionman

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I am also having this problem, I eventually cancelled the jailbreak after 15 minutes or so and now the phone will not be recognized by the computer or turn on. I am trying restore mode now. Any idea's?

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
I still haven't gotten this to work!

I've tried both 0.7.1 and 0.7.2 to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 2G on Vista 32bit

ran in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and ran as administrator
did this is normal and safe mode

tried restarting my computer
tried multiple USB ports

what else can try?! a manual reboot when it says waiting for reboot?

wildmilne

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Are you trying to upgrade or did you do a full restore? Mine didnt work until i did a full restore. Still seemed a little flaky...keep holding that home button for a while on the last step. Seemed to work better in windows than mac.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I had this problem, which I posted about on here.

The way to fix it is:

- Do a clean restore to 3.0 via DFU mode and iTunes

- Run the RedSn0w process before doing anything else to the phone, then you should not get the "waiting for reboot" problem

- After it's all done, you can restore from your backup to get contacts etc back again

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
I still haven't gotten this to work!

I've tried both 0.7.1 and 0.7.2 to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 2G on Vista 32bit

ran in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and ran as administrator
did this is normal and safe mode

tried restarting my computer
tried multiple USB ports

what else can try?! a manual reboot when it says waiting for reboot?

I was restoring... nothing worked.

I used my brother's XP machine.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Make sure you have the correct .ispw file. I accidentally had used a 3G file instead of 2G. As soon as I switched to the correct file, it worked like a champ. ;)

CVito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Make sure you have the correct .ispw file. I accidentally had used a 3G file instead of 2G. As soon as I switched to the correct file, it worked like a champ. ;)

I made the same mistake except opposite (I had 2G when I needed 3G). As soon as I had the right .ipsw file it worked just fine.

k2dragon

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
I had this problem, which I posted about on here.

The way to fix it is:

- Do a clean restore to 3.0 via DFU mode and iTunes

- Run the RedSn0w process before doing anything else to the phone, then you should not get the "waiting for reboot" problem

- After it's all done, you can restore from your backup to get contacts etc back again

I am having the same problem. I am using a mac. My IPSW is iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore
Its stuck on "waiting for reboot". I just replaced it with Apple warranty. I dont think it was ever activated through at&t

rashiki

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
I am having the same problem. I am using a mac. My IPSW is iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore
Its stuck on "waiting for reboot". I just replaced it with Apple warranty. I dont think it was ever activated through at&t

Yes. The "Waiting for reboot" screen was killing me too. I have a 2g iPhone. Running redsn0w 0.8 on my Power PC iBook. I got stuck at "waiting for reboot", but it did say, at first, that it was jailbreaking. But then it would get suck at "waiting for reboot". What I FINALLY found out was all I need to do was just unplug the cable from the phone and then plug it back in. Right after that, the phone screen turned white and everything continued as it should!

Hope this helps!

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Yes. The "Waiting for reboot" screen was killing me too. I have a 2g iPhone. Running redsn0w 0.8 on my Power PC iBook. I got stuck at "waiting for reboot", but it did say, at first, that it was jailbreaking. But then it would get suck at "waiting for reboot". What I FINALLY found out was all I need to do was just unplug the cable from the phone and then plug it back in. Right after that, the phone screen turned white and everything continued as it should!

Hope this helps!

Wow, I was getting so frustrated, that cured it it seems. Downloading jailbreak data now. Thanks.

SwiftBullet

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009

Hope this helps!

You sir, are a genius.

sean9

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
unplug cable, plug back in

This solution worked for me too. After waiting for about 5 minutes, I started checking forums and found this one on the redsn0w "waiting on reboot" message. I just unplugged the cable at that point, and the iphone screen flashed for a second. After a moment I plugged the cable back in and I got the screen downloading jailbraking data or something like that.

Great!:D:D:D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The unplug didn't work for my 3GS. I tried over 10 times till I gave up and did it with purplerain. Way faster and easier to use. Hope the Dev team puts out simpler programs to jailbreak in the future.
No need to hold down home, power or release after 30 seconds etc.....

Requiems

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Derpderpderpistan

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, I don't know how long I would have spent trying to figure that out.

The unplug, re-plug trick worked perfectly.

NateDMB

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Also, make sure you have the right firmware file. With my 3GS i had the 1,2 file but needed the 2,2 file supplied by redsn0w for it to work correctly.

benwoodward

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Fix

If you are trying to unlock firmware 3.0.1 and getting stuck on 'waiting to reboot'.

Then use redsn0w 0.7.2 and point it at firmware 3.0

That worked for me.

Ben

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Confirmed solution on "Waiting to Reboot"

Unplug the cable from phone and plug it right back in, jailbreak continues.

+1 to above poster who posted it!

MaCnation

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
BEAUTIFUL! The unplug tricked worked beautifully. Im using redsnow 0.8, firmware 3.0(7A341) with 3.0.1 update.

Thankyou to the genius that figured this out. I love you bro!

jenzo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
another solution for dummies like me :)

make sure your using the 3gs firmware and redsn0w version 8.0.

i was going nuts with the same issue and i was not only using the wrong firmware ( 3.0 for 3g ) but i had version 7.2 which wont recognize 3GS firmware.

after i got both of those squared away, no more waiting for reboot freezes

hope this helps!

-jenzo

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
...unplugging/replugging cable works.

well, after I got the "waiting for reboot" I ended up doing a DFU restore in iTunes to 3.0.1.. i then restored from backup and finally reran redsn0w 0.8 again, and got the same "waiting for reboot" hang... i unplugged/replugged the cable and the jailbreak went fine.

iphone 3g, 3.0.1, redsn0w 0.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.