Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I bought a macbook pro 13 inch yesterday and im already getting irritated by the glossy screen, such a shame because i love everything else about it. I've already got the speck case and i've ordered a keyboard protector and trackpad protector, i'm worried about the screen getting scratched as well.

What is the best screen protector that also gets rid of the glare and also keeps it from getting scratched?

sclough

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO

Does anyone have good pictures or other evidence about how much speckling the iVisor introduces? I've seen a few positive review on you tube, but they were also pretty shallow. One other poster here said that there was speckling.

I've personally seen the effects of the PowerSupport and Photodon. Both were almost identical on the speckling which was too much for my eyes. That being said, they were excellent at removing the glare and reflections and giving the feel of a matte screen.

The ViewGuard folks said they would send me a sample so I could compare but after seeing both the PowerSupport and Photodon product, but I'm not real hopeful that any of these anti-glare screens can work without significant speckling.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
screens really don't get scratches easily unless you really dont take care of it.
I know what you're saying, but I can't treat the thing like a baby and bend reality and stop things happening to it, besides, i'm more interested in the anti glare aspect of a screen protector. I think its better to be safe than sorry rather than 'just take more care of it'. If you knew what i was like you wouldnt say that, i dont even like touching the thing without washing my hands.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I have the Moshi iVisor. After applying it and turning on the screen I didn't notice the shimmery glitter effect at first. But after further use, I do see it. I also noticed it washed out the colors on the screen a bit.

MacMur

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
California
I'm pretty sure you are aware of this but the screen is glass not plastic. It is pretty hard to scratch, however with enough effort you can scratch anything. I just clean mine with a Microfiber cloth and some eyeglass spritz and it looks great all the time.

I hope this helps a bit.

sclough

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I have the Moshi iVisor. After applying it and turning on the screen I didn't notice the shimmery glitter effect at first. But after further use, I do see it. I also noticed it washed out the colors on the screen a bit.

By "shimmery glitter effect" I assume you mean the speckling that is inherent to these solutions. Anyway you could take a screen shot over a white area? Have you seen other ant-glare screens such as PowerSupport to compare? I've compared several and, while I'd love to find the Moshi product doesn't have speckling problems, none of the existing solutions have solved this problem yet.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
When I say, "shimmery glitter effect" I do mean "speckling." I call it this because I owned a VAIO SZ a few years back that had a very similar effect on the screen and that is what users called the issue.

I do not have any experience with other anit-glare solutions for the glass displays but I have owned a 15" matte display for ~2 years. I also found reviews and read opinions where people thought the iVisor was the best solution available. The speckling effect does not bother me. The slight washing out of colors does bother me a bit. However, in ideal lighting, the MBP with iVisor applied still looks gorgeous.

sclough

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
When I say, "shimmery glitter effect" I do mean "speckling." I call it this because I owned a VAIO SZ a few years back that had a very similar effect on the screen and that is what users called the issue.

I do not have any experience with other anit-glare solutions for the glass displays but I have owned a 15" matte display for ~2 years. I also found reviews and read opinions where people thought the iVisor was the best solution available. The speckling effect does not bother me. The slight washing out of colors does bother me a bit. However, in ideal lighting, the MBP with iVisor applied still looks gorgeous.

Thanks. Maybe I'll have to try it. I had the previous version MBP in matte and only upgraded because of the 8600GT issue. It would be great if you could get a matte like finish without as much speckling as the PowerSupport and Photodon films have.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
I know what you're saying, but I can't treat the thing like a baby and bend reality and stop things happening to it, besides, i'm more interested in the anti glare aspect of a screen protector. I think its better to be safe than sorry rather than 'just take more care of it'. If you knew what i was like you wouldnt say that, i dont even like touching the thing without washing my hands.

Lol though I was the only one :) Just ordered the speck seethru and moshi protector for keyboard and trackpad. I'm really nervous when other people than me touch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.