Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iheartsophsiebk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but mactopia.com is about the most hypocritical website I think I have ever seen in my life; especially since the release of Microsoft's 'laptop hunter' ads. Not to mention that it's covered from the bones with FLASH and NOT Silverlight. Geesh... anyone who shares any opinions or comments, PLEASE add to this thread.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i don't see anything wrong with it.

mactopia is Microsoft's Mac Business Unit's website, its all about the software that they have for Mac, which basically is Office.

iheartsophsiebk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
i don't see anything wrong with it.

mactopia is Microsoft's Mac Business Unit's website, its all about the software that they have for Mac, which basically is Office.

That is exactly why it is so hypocritical. Or should we bash on the competitors and then suck out all the money we can from them too?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
That is exactly why it is so hypocritical. Or should we bash on the competitors and then suck out all the money we can out of them too?

why is that? they're a business out to make money, just like apple. they want mac users to use Office, but they would also want people to buy windows rather than a mac. so they're going for a win-win scenario as best as they can.

they could discontinue office for Mac and then where would we be?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have no idea what your problem is. I just browsed through Mactopia, and it's a very well put-together site, and I never once was presented with anything related to Windows or the Laptop Hunters ads. Sounds like we've got someone on our hands who doesn't understand that companies sell products, they are neither the enemy nor the angels. I certainly prefer Apple's products and business practices overall to Microsoft's, but coming on here and posting a baseless rant against the existence of the Mactopia site (run by the Mac Business Unit, which is a separate entity at Microsoft)? That's a sign of someone who is thoroughly irrational.

jW

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
why is that? they're a business out to make money, just like apple. they want mac users to use Office, but they would also want people to buy windows rather than a mac. so they're going for a win-win scenario as best as they can.

they could discontinue office for Mac and then where would we be?

I agree, I don't see how they're being hypocritical. The Mac BU is there to make money and possibly convert people to use more Microsoft products.

How is this any different from Apple supplying software for Windows such as iPhone support, Safari, and iTunes? Apple has "Get a Mac" ads. How does this make them any different?

It doesn't, they're both companies. And down at the most basic instinctive level, after you've removed all other motives, is to simply make money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.