Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Newborn's Extra Parts Reportedly Work

GRAND SALINE, Texas -- A calf born in an east Texas town, about 60 miles east of Dallas, is thriving despite its two mouths and three eyes.

According to owner Virginia Hale, the light red female calf "Unique" was born in a pasture on April 12.

Hale said the 57-pound calf is friendly, likes to drink milk from its mother and enjoys lapping up water by using both tongues.

http://www.local6.com/news/3027077/detail.html

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I didn't see it in the article but I wonder if it can see out of the third eye or if he's Third Eye Blind...

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
This is quite weird... I'm curious to see how long it will survive.

I once read that deformations even in human babies are not so uncommon as one might think, but that doctors can fix a lot of them.

stoid

macrumors 601
Whoa! Freaky!

If the eye does work, can it see a new dimension of space?

One eye = Two dimensions
Two eyes = Three dimensions
Three eyes = Four dimensions?

Although, zero eyes equals zero dimensions, not one, so maybe not. :p

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
stoid said:
Whoa! Freaky!

One eye = Two dimensions

Maybe they didn't need to send that crazy-expensive satellite into space to test the theory of relativity, this calf could have looked and told us if there was a curve in the time space continuum because of the Earth's gravity!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Wes said:
I didn't see it in the article but I wonder if it can see out of the third eye or if he's Third Eye Blind...

It doesn't really say in the article, except this: "During that visit, the vet gave the calf a shot of antibiotics and said the animal is otherwise healthy, Hale said."

I'm not sure why, but this makes me so sad. I just hate to see anything suffer. It is an abnormality. I just feel so sad and sorry. :( :(

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
During that visit, the vet gave the calf a shot of antibiotics and said the animal is otherwise healthy, Hale said.

and people wonder why we have antibiotic resistance. Routine antibiotic treatment for livestock.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
oldschool said:
and people wonder why we have antibiotic resistance. Routine antibiotic treatment for livestock.
Or why little girls now have their period at age 9. Growth hormones anyone? Why the hell else is this cow so mutated?

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Bhennies said:
Or why little girls now have their period at age 9. Growth hormones anyone? Why the hell else is this cow so mutated?

I think it is a variation of a conjoined twin, just very conjoined. So probably not mutated. But antibiotics/pesticides/growth hormones are all floating around and are not good.

wdlove said:
I'm not sure why, but this makes me so sad. I just hate to see anything suffer. It is an abnormality. I just feel so sad and sorry.

It is abnormal. But maybe it is happy, and not suffering. It has a mother, and milk, and is being taken care of. I hope it is not "put on display" for people to gawk at, but otherwise it may live to gambol in the fields and be happy as a can be. Will probably feel lucky... they may not send it to be slaughtered because it is different!

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Bhennies said:
Hey!...I never said the second quote! How'd that happen?!

Just the usual copying quote tags problem. You try to be a good citizen and quote multiple things in one post, but then forget to make the proper attributions. Sorry.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
virividox said:
too bad it doest have extra legs then you could get much more meat from it

well, you would get two tongues - so it could be good for the beef tongue industry :D

Weird stuff, though - would be really freaky to see it as an adult...

D

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
stoid said:
Whoa! Freaky!

One eye = Two dimensions

You can still sense time, which is a dimension without an eye. But that then doesn't get accounted for in the others.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I'd guess that health restrictions might prevent Unique from being made into food for human consumption, or from being used as breeding stock. So it's up to her owner whether or not she gets to live out her existence gamboling in fields or anything...depends on the expense of keeping her, I would guess.

Kinda looks like that second mouth isn't quite fully formed, though. I wonder if that'll cause problems later.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
stoid said:
Whoa! Freaky!

One eye = Two dimensions

With one eye you can see three dimensions. Think about it. If you can't figure it out, cover one of your eyes (either one will be fine - assuming both work) for a while and see what happens.
:rolleyes:

JamesDPS

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
Irvine, CA
iPC said:
With one eye you can see three dimensions. Think about it. If you can't figure it out, cover one of your eyes (either one will be fine - assuming both work) for a while and see what happens.
:rolleyes:

I think you can only IMAGINE that you're seeing three dimensions with one eye... the image is two-dimensional, the only way to really measure depth is in the combination of two 2-dimensional images from different vantage-points. The rest is just the brain, using its training in extrapolating the LIKELY third dimension. And memory, I suppose -- since you're taking about 50-60 2-dimensional images per eye per second so movement of your head lets you see that third dimension... wow I can't believe I'm posting that!

As for the cow, it almost CERTIAINLY sees a dimension we cannot :D Perhaps she is "the one", who will lead the revolt against humans.... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.