Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyranical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I've got a large video on my iphone (1.5gb) and need to get it onto my PC, how do i do this? i tried downloading a program i found but it wouldn't work with my 3GS it doesn't recognise that it was connected.

Any suggestions?

UnbornApple

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Just use iPhoto/Camera and Scanner Wizzard depending if your on Windows or Mac.

Its going to take a while seeing as its a gig but thats what you get for taking a video that long....

btw, how long is that video?

mrdbc

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
joined just to help you... lol...

the best way hands down to do this is using "iphonebrowser", it should be free, i found it through google... i also tried that "diskaid" crap people have been talking about.. and it sucks, so just mess with the "iphonebrowser" program... good luck...

monaklan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I've got a large video on my iphone (1.5gb) and need to get it onto my PC, how do i do this? i tried downloading a program i found but it wouldn't work with my 3GS it doesn't recognise that it was connected.

Any suggestions?

Are you saying they don't have an iPhoto type program on the PC?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
the best way hands down to do this is using "iphonebrowser", it should be free, i found it through google... i also tried that "diskaid" crap people have been talking about.. and it sucks, so just mess with the "iphonebrowser" program... good luck...

iphonebrowser doesn't work rtoo well, unless you are JB. However, since I guess the videos are in the sandbox (assuming they are; I don't have a 3GS), then this might work fairly well. Do you know for sure?

Are you saying they don't have an iPhoto type program on the PC?

Nope, they sure don't. Wished they did, but no. The best thing to use that is on the PC, as long as these videos are in the sandbox, is just opening My Computer and dragging the video from the iPhone or use the Wizard.

tyranical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
It's an hour and a quarter long the vid, I tried doing it through camera wizard and it just hangs for ages then said it was finished but had just made a file that was 0kb big. Did it twice, I tried sshing it off the phone but that was gunna take 2 hours to complete. I will do it through ssh if there's no quicker way but thought it would be quicker doing it with cable than wirelessly through ssh

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Connect your iPhone to the computer with USB cable, open My Computer, your iPhone should be in the list of hard drives. Navigate down through the folders until you find your video, and copy the file like any other file.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You said you tried using the camera wizard to import the video file. My suggestion was to copy the file directly from the iPhone's photo folder using Windows Explorer's copy file function.

tyranical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
You said you tried using the camera wizard to import the video file. My suggestion was to copy the file directly from the iPhone's photo folder using Windows Explorer's copy file function.

My iPhone doesn't show up as a hard drive it only shows up as a camera in my computer so I can't do it your way

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
My iPhone doesn't show up as a hard drive it only shows up as a camera in my computer so I can't do it your way

You could look into an app at the App Store called iFile. You can use it to setup an adhoc web server that'll let you transfer files to and fro from a Mac or PC.

HTH

tMH

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Camera, hard drive, same difference. :D

You should be able to open it in Windows Explorer from My Computer and navigate down the folders to your pictures/video files.

tyranical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I tried doing it through my computer i said that, it did not work.

That iphone browser program worked thanks alot for your help, it shows up as an unknown filetype tho so have to go to open with to play it but thats no problem

Cheers for your help.

kasparhall

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Registered to post this, its not just you..I have same prob... I have a vid I shot about 45 min long.. wont transfer the wizard just hangs with zero progress then quits with a 0mb file on desktop. Other videos transfer fine.. I cant find much info looking on the net. Iphone browser I will check that out. :confused:

BTW im using XP home

kasparhall

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Ok i figured A easy way to do it .... I used microsoft scanner and camera wizard... strange that traditional file transfer methods wont work. This was easy vids are in .MOV format and transfer fast.

AhgahhhH! I was wrong .. transfered to 99% of long vid then hung up WTF ... sry :mad:

bnardone

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
me, too

me, too. scanner and camera wizard doesn't work. explorer doesn't work.

creates a 0KB file, which then doesn't play.

i'm currently on hold with Apple iPhone phone support, getting the run around.

couldn't believe my ears, but their first suggestion was to email the file! right. i'll just email a 600MB file.. every time..

next up they suggested using some third party software. then had me wait while they 'checked on some things' and then came back and asked me if i'd found any 3rd party software to use while i was on hold.

asked to be escalated when first tier said said something that didn't make any sense about windows and then upon being asked allowed that it had been years since she'd interacted with a windows system. wth..

on hold while second tier does some searching. trying to stay hopeful despite second tier's being surprised to hear that iphone shows up as a camera under my computer.. i will choose to believe because hope is free..

:)b

bnardone

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
grrrrrrummmmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbllllle....

suggested i try it on other computers; told him that i had tried on 4.

said it sounds like we won't be able to get these files.

suggested restoring, which would delete the files.

or emailing, after cropping, though admitting that just about no email system's gonna accept a 600mb file, and also that sending 600mbs 10mb at a time would be unworkable.

now their 'escalating' it again, and telling me it'll be 3-5 days before i hear anything.

grrrrrrummmmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbllllle....

):b

Wudman

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
Same problem with my 3GS... Large video file gets to 99% then hangs... Small video file transfers with no problem.

jennydrums

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Hi. I have the same problem. I recorded video (size 360MB) and I can not download to PC. I tried it via explorer and also wizard and it does not work.

Is anybody there who already solved that case ?

Omnitron

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Transferring a video from iphone to PC

I have the same problem on my laptop running XP Pro so I plugged the iphone into my desktop just now (running XP normal). Wanted to transfer a long video. I am right now using the Scanner Camera Wizard and it IS transferring the long video that the other computer's wizard stopped at 99%. So there IS some difference in XP versions or harware or whatever that works.
Still - this is VERY frustrating! The "Wizard" will not display filenames or sort by type, date, etc!!! I CAN'T easily pick out the VIDEO from all the other photos I store on the phone! This is basically just inane!
So I am copying ALL the files into the same old folder to stop duplicates.
It should not be this hard but I blame Windows not Apple and you should call Windows Support (AHAHAHAHAHAH!)
Otherwise, I see that there are some $ programs that will do the job.
Again, I blame Microsoft here and their "wizard".

surcal

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
How can i get big size videos off my iphone 3GS? (Solved)

Here's how it worked.
First open itunes and go to file - Add files to library Then browse to your iphone name (Which is shown as camera in windows Explorer). All the photos and videos will be shown. Select the video you want to copy and Add. This will copy the video to pc. Then just go to the Library - Movies and see the video there - right click the video and select "show in windows explorer" and copy the video anywhere you want. Delete the video from itunes if you wish.

GeorgesZ

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Workaround for large video files

I had the same problem for movies above 340 MB, but not for movies a little less than 200 MB. I tried the above workaround, but they didn't work for me. What worked for me was to do the backup, then look into the Backup folder (usually under something like "C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\). Sorting by size, it showed files that had the same size as my huge movies. I copied those files and renamed them with a .mov extension. Those were the movies. And I was able to see them with QuickTime. I then deleted the movie from the iPhone.

Georges Z

BKEC

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
How to remove a large video off your iPhone 3GS

I was having the same problem of removing a large video file (320MB) off my iPhone 3GS. I found a program called iPhone Explore. Launch the program and follow: Media/DCIM/100APPLE and find your video. Hope this helps everyone.

Scumbus

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
Vid off Ipod 3gs

Itunes doesnt appear to have an easy way of getting what you have shot on your iphone onto "a computer", it is however very easy.

Just treat the iphone as a memory stick. If you go into windows explorer you will see it listed there along with your other drives and memory storage devices. click on the iphone in explorer, and then click down through the folders. You will see all your photos and videos listed there. Drag and drop them to where you want or just double click on them and they will launch.

Mooms

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Georges' way works

I had the same problem for movies above 340 MB, but not for movies a little less than 200 MB. I tried the above workaround, but they didn't work for me. What worked for me was to do the backup, then look into the Backup folder (usually under something like "C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\). Sorting by size, it showed files that had the same size as my huge movies. I copied those files and renamed them with a .mov extension. Those were the movies. And I was able to see them with QuickTime. I then deleted the movie from the iPhone.

Georges Z

Geogers' way of getting the file off the iphone (in my case, an iphone4) was the only way that worked for me. The windows explorer way (Scumbus) only seems to work for smaller videos.

Surcal's way (via iTunes) didn't work either...

Thanks Georges Z :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.