Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
There's actually a city workers strike going on in Toronto right now, which includes garbage pick up. The first week after the strike started things were fairly appalling, but now that we're a month in it seems the communities have stepped up and gotten things looking tidy again. There are still some public trash cans that are a disgrace, but I'm actually kind of impressed with how quickly different areas came together to handle the strike.

I was impressed too. I noticed that many of the garbage bins in the area were full and overflowing, and a few areas near the garbage dumps reeked to high hell, but overall, the city was still cleaner than other American cities I've been in that weren't dealing with any strike.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
the only thing wrong with Canadians is how much they dislike Americans because of their preconceived notions about us. that's all:p

Actually, I don't Canadians dislike 'Americans' - its that we often (not always) dislike government policies. Often the US (and various) state governments enact a law that is intended to to address an issue, but with no thought given to unintended consequences that often affect Canada.

The US - Canada relationship used to be a nearly unique one. Now, we are seeing ourselves being delegated to the same status as the rest of world.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Well, technically it was the British, Canada didn't really exist as a country until 1871.
Yes, but using what they called "Canadians" (colonists) as part of the militia.
Incidentally, my gr gr gr gr grandfather and his brother who lived in Markham, mostly sat around and got drunk during the War. They were supposed to be guarding the fort in Toronto... Perhaps it was their drunkenness that allowed the Americans to burn the fort. The British retaliated by setting fire to the White House.

That bit about the fort is cool. I bet you don't see that on the plaque!

...(snip snip)...

Anything east of Richmond B.C. is simply too cold to live.

Someone who knows their geography! I agree with you, and live west of Richmond. Not far from the community that has more retired meteorologists than anywhere else in Canada.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
How about when it sounds like we have marbles in our mouths? :D

All I can say is this- I went to visit Iscariot in Toronto in February. One night I was walking home smoking. A very cute guy stopped and says, "Got anuther smook, eh?" I said, "OMG, yes. That was so adorable. Can you say something else?" He laughed, and I said I was just kidding, but really I wasn't. :)

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
All I can say is this- I went to visit Iscariot in Toronto in February. One night I was walking home smoking. A very cute guy stopped and says, "Got anuther smook, eh?" I said, "OMG, yes. That was so adorable. Can you say something else?" He laughed, and I said I was just kidding, but really I wasn't. :)

Hahaha! I love Canadians! The one time I actually visited Canada, it was in the Calgary area. Absolutely beautiful. I would love to go back, with my Nikon this time.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I've only ever been to Toronto, but everyone was very nice to us when we were there.

I have a good friend that's from Calgary, but he moved here (Idaho) about four years ago. I think he's gonna go back though.

Overall I think Canadians are wonderful people.

French-Canadians are a different story. I've met quite a few French-Canadians and I can only think of two that were nice. The rest were arrogant bastards.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
The US - Canada relationship used to be a nearly unique one. Now, we are seeing ourselves being delegated to the same status as the rest of world.

Yeah, as an American, this makes me sad that our politicians took it that direction.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I've always looked at Canada as sort of an Extention of the US, but northward. Almost like a neat giant vacation spot. I guess its because I've met so many fluent English speakers, who have similar accents to what I often hear. (I live in the New England)

It might be taken as condescending or even insulting to say I think of Canada as almost more of America, but I suppose that's a good thing? In other words, Canada is very neighborly! :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It might be taken as condescending or even insulting to say I think of Canada as almost more of America, but I suppose that's a good thing? In other words, Canada is very neighborly! :)

I dunno about that.....I think some people think of it as an extension of America as it's close by, the culture is similar to ours and the language is the same (in the English speaking parts at least), but Canada is unique enough in its own way that I don't consider it a 51st state. Whether it's the little things like the slight accents or the fact that speed limits are in km/h, or the big things such as the different form of government and different sets of laws, or the wide range of ethnicities and nationalities that you don't see in a lot of the US, I most definitely did not feel like I was in "more of America" when I was in Toronto.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
the wide range of ethnicities and nationalities that you don't see in a lot of the US, I most definitely did not feel like I was in "more of America" when I was in Toronto.

I wonder if that's because of where you are from in the US? I live near NYC and melting pot has never been an issue here all my life.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Someone who knows their geography! I agree with you, and live west of Richmond. Not far from the community that has more retired meteorologists than anywhere else in Canada.

About ten years ago I spent an incredible weekend on Salt Spring. It's a great place.

GradientMac

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Canada

I live in Alberta and I've never met a single Canadian that speaks like you keep saying they do. The only real accent I've noticed is that we speak more melodically. And we say roof, not... ruhff.

Here's a little MP3 of me saying the words and how I... think you guys think we say it?

http://drop.io/plasticity/asset/no-accent-mp3

BPresley321

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
To be honest, I hardly know anything about Canada. Granted, I live a long ways from there and you don't find too many Canadians in Texas.

But in reality, why would I have any problem with a nation if they haven't wished any harm on me or my countrymen...particularly if they have been a good, peaceful neighbor?

Mexico is another story...

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
if it hasn't been said already....

x-men-origins-wolverine.jpg

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I live in Alberta and I've never met a single Canadian that speaks like you keep saying they do. The only real accent I've noticed is that we speak more melodically. And we say roof, not... ruhff.

Here's a little MP3 of me saying the words and how I... think you guys think we say it?

http://drop.io/plasticity/asset/no-accent-mp3

Well apparently, it's different across your country. Everybody had that accent to some degree in Toronto, even Iscariot. His wasn't that heavy though.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well apparently, it's different across your country. Everybody had that accent to some degree in Toronto, even Iscariot. His wasn't that heavy though.

Not trying to burst your bubble because I know how adorable you think the accent is...... but I'm from Toronto and lived there most of my life, and I most certainly don't have the accent that you described in your above post (#256). :)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

Canadian guys still use that line?
:)
If I was walking home at night and a guy stopped me and asked for a light or cigarette I'd certainly know what he's looking for.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Not trying to burst your bubble because I know how adorable you think the accent is...... but I'm from Toronto and lived there most of my life, and I most certainly don't have the accent that you described in your above post (#256). :)

But you can't deny that a lot of people do have it in Toronto.

Canadian guys still use that line?
:)
If I was walking home at night and a guy stopped me and asked for a light or cigarette I'd certainly know what he's looking for.

Yep. ;)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I've only been to Hong-Kouver* (asian part of Vancouver), Richmond, and Victoria. Most everyone I've met has been really nice. Although . . . there was the time someone stole my friend's antennae ball that came from Jack in the Box. Oh, and can't forget the time we were mooned by a bunch of pasty, frat boys (do they have dumb frat boys in Canada?). I do have to say that the ass of the mooner was rather flabby and could've used some shaping up. :D
Of course, I have to say that I want national health care in my country. So, yes, I think Canada's great.

*I know of two Vancouvers. One is in BC, the other is in the state of WA. One is a cosmopolitan city. The other . . . well, let's just say I had no idea that rednecks existed out of the south. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.