Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
I dunno if this has been addressed already, but this started happening much more frequently lately. My iPhone is password protected so when I go to unlock it, the screen's backlight won't turn on. However, the screen itself will be on, because you can see it asking for the password. This resolves once I type in my password. I didn't mind at first, but I went to the movies the other night and went to check what time it was but the screen wouldn't light up...very annoying.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution to fix it. I can't replicate it as it happens spontaneously and not all the time. It has to be a software issue but I don't want to restore if I don't have it.

Btw, I have a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS running 3.0.

GAdawg

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Sometimes my phone does that. I think it just takes a little bit to wake up and sense that the screen needs to be brighter. I have a 3gs, but used to have the original iphone and it never happened with that one. Hopefully its just a simple bug that will be fixed in 3.1

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I dunno if this has been addressed already, but this started happening much more frequently lately. My iPhone is password protected so when I go to unlock it, the screen's backlight won't turn on. However, the screen itself will be on, because you can see it asking for the password. This resolves once I type in my password. I didn't mind at first, but I went to the movies the other night and went to check what time it was but the screen wouldn't light up...very annoying.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution to fix it. I can't replicate it as it happens spontaneously and not all the time. It has to be a software issue but I don't want to restore if I don't have it.

Btw, I have a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS running 3.0.

My first iPhone 3GS backlight went completely out and I had to return it.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
Mine does the same thing. However, it won't light up until I touch the scrub bar in the Brightness option. I'm assuming/hoping it's a software issue also. Is this happening with anyone else?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Mine does the same thing. However, it won't light up until I touch the scrub bar in the Brightness option. I'm assuming/hoping it's a software issue also. Is this happening with anyone else?

Mine still wouldn't light up after a fresh restore. It was completely dead.

alansaysstop

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Roseville
i had to turn off my autobrightness on my 3GS. it would be fine when unlocking it, but when it got to the springboard, it would go extremely dark. probably a bug, but rather annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.