Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
So, Logic 9 is finally among us. What do you think? anything from your wish-list still missing? and for early buyers let us know how buggy it is and anything else!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The problem is they want $200 for the upgrade. The new features are nice, but I already have invested in plug ins that can do most of it.

I feel Apple really let Logic 8 die. There was what 2 support updates.

I running 8. If I decide not to go with Cubase (After 10 years of Logic) or If I'll pay the $200 and hope that it also fixes the bugs still in 8.

I'm also right in the middle of a project, so looking at upgrading the DAW is not possible.

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I think Logic 9 is great. specially for guitar players/recorders like me and the flex tool makes things just so much easier. Logic 8 was a great product too ! Also Mainstage 2 makes performing live much more fun and easier too.

can't wait !

dLight

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Logic 9 appears to me the most significant update Logic had. Logic 8 changed a lot of workflow and UI related stuff, but 9 comes with some features pro and semipro users have been waiting for for a long time - like elastic audio, multitrack (non-destructive) audio quantizing, bounce-in-place and much more.

Audio editing has obviously been improved a lot, and that's the area where Pro Tools users and others have been complaining about Logic 8.

With 200 new features and probably loads of bugfixes, it's going to attract a lot of new users.

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Given that 8 was still buggy as of yesterday, I'm not confident 9 will be any better.

However, the new features are very good and there are a lot of editing and workflow improvements that will, for me, regularly save hours and headaches. This update is a big shot across the bows of Pro Tools for audio editing and project handling.

What is interesting is the way Mainstage has developed. It's really become a very interesting performance tool and a different take on loop performance to what you can do with Live. Very cool.

What's yet to be revealed is how well Waveburner will perform. It had become the black sheep of the "studio" and was close to unusable in it's last iteration. Here's hoping for a big performance boost there.

Anyway. I'm sold. The Audio editing and project handling improvements alone justify the price.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
From the apple store:
"There are two Logic Studio upgrades available: the upgrade from an earlier version of Logic Studio or Logic Pro; and the upgrade from Logic Express. Academic and Not-For-Resale (NFR) versions are not eligible for either upgrade."

This is a little ambiguous as to which versions of Express the upgrade works on. When I've looked at these before, they always have specified which versions the upgrade is valid for.

I'd like to think Apple wouldn't be selling an upgrade that only works from LE9 if they haven't even released it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised either...

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I have learned to work around what is bugging me. I think that I am going to hold off on upgrading for a bit until I can verify that some of the basic things are fixed. Once my current crop of projects is done I will probably bite the bullet.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
The improvements look great to me, but sadly i just bought an academic version in June, thinking this update wouldn't come till after snow leopard. I didn't think i'd really need this update anyways, but considering i was just looking into whether I'd be able to use Logic as a loop pedal about 4 days ago, obviously the new Mainstage is very attractive to me. I might upgrade a few months down the road. And by upgrade, i mean buy another non-upgradable full version of Studio. Meh... still cheaper than a single full version I guess, but in retrospect I definitely would have waited a month for this. I had heard rumors of the time stretch effects and things like that, but if I had heard rumors of a looping system, i would have paid more attention!

dryjoy

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
The improvements look great to me, but sadly i just bought an academic version in June, thinking this update wouldn't come till after snow leopard. I didn't think i'd really need this update anyways, but considering i was just looking into whether I'd be able to use Logic as a loop pedal about 4 days ago, obviously the new Mainstage is very attractive to me. I might upgrade a few months down the road. And by upgrade, i mean buy another non-upgradable full version of Studio. Meh... still cheaper than a single full version I guess, but in retrospect I definitely would have waited a month for this. I had heard rumors of the time stretch effects and things like that, but if I had heard rumors of a looping system, i would have paid more attention!

Oh man, I'm in exactly the same boat as you, I bought my academic version of Studio in June too. I was feeling a bit annoyed about it, until I realised that paying for 9 with academic discount in the UK is still cheaper than paying the upgrade price. In the UK, the academic price is £118, if you bought Logic 8 at full price it was about £399, and the upgrade from that to 9 is something like £159, so I figure I'm not too hard done by. Sure, it might have been better to wait a month if I'd had a crystal ball, but I'm still gonna get a much better deal than most folk, and IMHO for what you get it really is a steal. So I plan on squeezing a bit more out of 8, and upgrading to 9 in a few months. Bearing in mind I have come from Logic 4.7 on OS 9, I have plenty to be getting on with in Logic 8 on Leopard!
I appreciate however that I am only aware of the UK pricing, it might not work out at all like that in Canada.
Good luck for when you do upgrade!

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
Logic Academic Pricing was $449 when logic 8 was out in the apple website, but at many college and university bookstore's they sold it around $150. It says that Logic 9 is $449 with academic pricing at the apple store right now.
Would anyone happen to know if universities and college bookstore's would sell logic 9 at that $150 price?

kcfroines

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Logic Academic Pricing was $449 when logic 8 was out in the apple website, but at many college and university bookstore's they sold it around $150. It says that Logic 9 is $449 with academic pricing at the apple store right now.
Would anyone happen to know if universities and college bookstore's would sell logic 9 at that $150 price?

the $150 version is just the Logic Express Version... which is missing quite a few things from the Logic Pro Version. In my opinion the Express version isn't worth buying unless its your first time doing digital Audio

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
the $150 version is just the Logic Express Version... which is missing quite a few things from the Logic Pro Version. In my opinion the Express version isn't worth buying unless its your first time doing digital Audio

Actually Logic Express cost around $80 for logic 8 at college bookstore's, its $150 using academic pricing via apple store.

and why isnt it worth buying? this time around it even includes surround sound capabilities, just less synths and loops, and the extra programs (Mainstage, Waveburner, etc. ) but the difference gap is even less this time around.

Im just wondering if college's will sell logic 9 at the super low price of before, since ill be eligible this fall :D

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My biggest thing is I have sent Apple maybe 20 or so crash reports and submitted feedback at least 5 times. What has come of any of that. I would have rather had an update to 8. I don't want to spend the money if the problems still persist. New features mean nothing if the DAW does not function right.

As far as Main Stage. It's called spending the money on Live.

Even Mainstage 2 fails to impress me.

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
My biggest thing is I have sent Apple maybe 20 or so crash reports and submitted feedback at least 5 times. What has come of any of that. I would have rather had an update to 8. I don't want to spend the money if the problems still persist. New features mean nothing if the DAW does not function right.

we got a hater on our hands! haha

but seriously, if the product you buy doesn't cut it, and customer support is rotten, then maybe stop adding fuel to the fire and just not buy logic anymore?

personally its been excellent with me therefor i look forward to the update.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Im going to still assume that Logic 9 is $150 for students.

However, I do not think im gonna get it as a student. I already bought Logic 8 as a student 2 years ago. Time for me to get a regular version so I can do updates.

Ill check at the bookstore to see if Logic 9 is the same price, $150.

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
Im going to still assume that Logic 9 is $150 for students.

However, I do not think im gonna get it as a student. I already bought Logic 8 as a student 2 years ago. Time for me to get a regular version so I can do updates.

Ill check at the bookstore to see if Logic 9 is the same price, $150.

cool thanks! report back your findings!

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008

I hear that. Live is THE performance tool on the market. Fair enough, Mainstage 2 will enable you to use Logic environments in Live if that's your thing... but I still reckon Live is better.

Which is why on Monday I'm buying Live 8! I might think about Logic 9 nearer xmas or something.

JC

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
we got a hater on our hands! haha

but seriously, if the product you buy doesn't cut it, and customer support is rotten, then maybe stop adding fuel to the fire and just not buy logic anymore?

personally its been excellent with me therefor i look forward to the update.

Easier said then done there. I have been using Logic for 10 years. I also have invested $1000s in AU plug ins. I love Logic. Like everything else though there are bugs. Any new features in 9 would be nice, but I am more then fine with 8 when it works property. None of the features in 9 address the issues with 8.

If anything I will have to wait until 10.6 before considering 9. If 10.6 helps the pro apps like Apple said it will, then I would feel comfortable with the upgrade.

For the record, I am not a hater. See the thing is. I use Logic, because I adore it. If I was a hater I would have switched over to something else right after 8. I do think Logic 8 was thee single best Logic update. It got me back into Logic.

I just want to know before dropping $200 that any issues I have been having will be resolved. See I would be upgrading to 9 for this reason. I want a running version of Logic over any new added features.

Also this release seem to come off the heals of a large amount of DAW updates over the past few months, and I worry that maybe Apple did not take the time with it. I mean One day there was Logic 8.02, with no talk about nothing, then all of a sudden. Logic 9.

I hear that. Live is THE performance tool on the market. Fair enough, Mainstage 2 will enable you to use Logic environments in Live if that's your thing... but I still reckon Live is better.

Which is why on Monday I'm buying Live 8! I might think about Logic 9 nearer xmas or something.

JC

Some people think it is over kill to have both Logic and Live. However Live has been labeled "The best companion DAW for your main DAW" by Future Music. I can not wait to get Live 8(I am currently on 5), I am really looking into the APC40 aswell. That would be a killer set up. Maybe I could even experiment with rewiring Logic straight into Live for live shows.

seventeen

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2009
Denton, Tx
I'm still using Logic 7.

I tried out logic 8 but could never get it to interact with ReWire very well, which is often integral to what I do, so I went back to Logic 7 which I know by heart and didnt have to figure out a new UI.

The new plugins sound like they'd be fun to play with. But do these things actually really work as well as they make it out to? Typically, no. I understand that not everyone has a bunch of classic amps and effects pedals laying around at their disposal, I dont either. But I've invested in the amps and effects that I like and use them every day.

I also spend a lot of time playing a keys rig for a group and perform regularly, so the mainstage stuff sounds interesting. But then again, is this anything I cant do with a MIDI controller and Reason, which I already have and use?

Typically, I like to go by the "if you want what your playing to sound like a rhodes, buy a rhodes." But I understand this often isnt practical for full sized pianos and/or organs for the band on the road. However, the Abbey Road Keyboard Refill for Reason has an incredible Organ patch on it, and I use it live all the time.

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Some people think it is over kill to have both Logic and Live However Live has been labeled "The best companion DAW for your main DAW" by Future Music. I can not wait to get Live 8(I am currently on 5), I am really looking into the APC40 aswell. That would be a killer set up. Maybe I could even experiment with rewiring Logic straight into Live for live shows.

Ha ha mate, I'm in EXACTLY the same boat. Just bought Suite 8 this evening, APC is next on my list but Logic is still my main music/sound writing DAW.

Could NOT be any more excited than I am right now, just waiting on Ableton verifying my student status :)

JC

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
So far, so good! It installed just fine after about 3 hours of popping in disc after disc after disc after disc after disc...whew!

Just think if Jobs believed in BluRay they could have fit all of that data on one 50GB BluRay disc and I could have sat on the couch in peace rather than having to come in and check on the progress every 30 mins or so.

I must say that I give Apple kudos for not including all of that printed matter. The box for Logic 9 is about 1/5th the size of the HUGE box that Logic 8 came in. I actually never even read the books that came with 8 and I kept thinking/hoping that they would do away with all of that waste!

Anyway, the upgrade install went just fine and I spot checked some of my projects and they were just fine. I will dig deeper into the guts within the week.

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
For those who bought Logic Studio 8 in June or so, Apple gave Logic Studio 8 for free for those who bought Logic 7 in 2007 a month earlier or so. Maybe you can get a free copy of Logic Studio 9 or for a very low price !

Check it out !

I really love Logic and I'm very excited about Logic 9 and Mainstage 2. I also never had serious problems. Only with external plugins. Logic Studio is perfect for what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.