Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hedpetcd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
I heard you can plug your iPhone into your PC and modify contacts with some Windows program. Anyone know how to do this?

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Through iTunes and MobileMe, you can sync your iPhone contacts on a PC via Outlook, Windows Contacts, Yahoo or Google.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
If you have entered all your contacts in via phone can you sync them over to your PC? so that if you want to set up as a new phone you can just import them from your PC?

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I use Gmail. If i can sink with that, that would be great
If you're not already using an exchange account on the iPhone, you can just use Google's interface (push contacts and calendar only -- no gmail, except via the non-push IMAP/POP3 interfaces):
(The iPhone only allows the use of one exchange account on the iPhone, so if you're already using one, you can't use Google's.) Note that this gives you online gmail contacts/calendar synchronization via wifi or 3G -- you don't need to connect the iPhone to a PC or Mac.

Also note that turning on any online sync will erase any existing contacts on the iPhone. Make sure that you've got them written down, first.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
If you're not already using an exchange account on the iPhone, you can just use Google's interface
One more thing: Google's web pages can be confusing if you click the wrong links on them (e.g., they can point you to configuring your windows mobile device, instead :eek: ). If you want to use Google's push contacts/calendar interface with the iPhone, the instructions are here:
Instructions for configuring the google calendar interface can be found here:

Lycian

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
you can NOT sync with Windows Address Book. it looses most of the data. try other options.

Anjaneya

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Hi, I am on WinXP and am having trouble editing my iPhone contacts from within the iPhone since the screen is small and all has to be done one by one. Syncing to to the Windows Address Book does not help as the hundreds of contact files in the Address Book are almost as hard to manage and time-consuming to edit as on the iPhone.

How can I go about a quick review of all my contacts in one place with possibility to type in changes and save at once?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You'll have to clarify what you find difficult about the Address Book if you want other suggestions. Any solution is going to be time consuming to deal with if you have hundreds of contacts.

funkymatt

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Anjaneya, it is not clear what exactly you would like to do with your iPhone contacts. You can use the iCloud to bring all your contacts in one place and then edit them if you wish by logging in to the iCloud from your PC.

Other than the iCloud, there exist numerous ways in which you can manage iPhone contacts and bring them all in one place: ranging from third-party contact iPhone apps which sync your contacts from multiple accounts into your iPhone to apps designed for the PC to import-export iPhone contacts.

Finally, the old and certain way is through syncing your iPhone contacts to your Windows Contacts via iTunes. Then simply edit the *.csv entries found within your Windows Contacts (or Address Book if you are on Windows XP).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.