Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
When i installed it, it suggested I also install Quicktime 6.5.1 via software update. I checked software update and there is no Quicktime 6.5.1. I also checked the quicktime I have installed and it's version 6.5. Anyone else get this? Other than that, it's a solid update.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
NICE.

Handy Concept for Concept Rock

Many music CDs contain songs that blend into each other, and importing them to iTunes may create a small gap between songs that interrupts the flow. If you use the iTunes Join Tracks feature, the program melds two or more songs into one, continuous gap-free track. So now you can enjoy listening to classical music, concept rock albums and extended dance mixes without the silent treatment.

I've been waiting for this!!!

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Is this it???

While I do think the features of the new iTunes version sound very nice (I have yet to play with the app), if this was their big announcment I'm very disappointed. I was really hoping for an iTMS announcement telling us they've opened in several different countries. I'm this <making hand gesture to indicate a very narrow gap between fingers> close to checking out puretracks and shopping there! :mad:

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
Lossless CD Quality Size Comparison

Song - Eminem - Sing for the Moment

128 kbps AAC - 5.3MB
830 kbps Lossless - 33.9MB
**It automatically chooses the bit rate for the lossless quality, hence why it is done is 830 kbps.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
chibianh said:
When i installed it, it suggested I also install Quicktime 6.5.1 via software update. I checked software update and there is no Quicktime 6.5.1. I also checked the quicktime I have installed and it's version 6.5. Anyone else get this? Other than that, it's a solid update.

Yeah, not in software update--neither was iTunes. I just went to quicktime.com and downloaded from there.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
Does anyone else not have QT 6.5.1 on their sowtware update? iTunes requires it. :confused: Oh. I didn't bother reading the whole thread. I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. I just downloaded it manually off of apple.com.

Nemesis

macrumors regular
No way!

Chopper said:
I have no idea (and yes, I know that I'm being zero help). Has anyone tried this yet, to see what the size is, in comparison to other formats (AAC @ 192, etc)?

There's NO WAY you can distinguish AAC@192 from the orginal CD, on a hi-fi equipment costing less than $50,000. You're not a music conductor like Herbert von Karajan, and you're not Mozart too, and of course you're not a bat :D
So, please stop worrying about it!

:rolleyes:

restiffbard

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Virginia
updates from web

none of these updates are in SWUpdate yet. I just went to apple.com/itunes, apple.com/quicktime/download, and apple.com/ipod

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Raid said:
While I do think the features of the new iTunes version sound very nice (I have yet to play with the app), if this was their big announcment I'm very disappointed. I was really hoping for an iTMS announcement telling us they've opened in several different countries. I'm this <making hand gesture to indicate a very narrow gap between fingers> close to checking out puretracks and shopping there! :mad:

I think iTMS Europe is rumored to come in June.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Yea! They fixed the firewall issue that I was having at work. I couldn't buy songs or listen to songs that I had previously purchased on my Mac at home. This is great.

MatMistake

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
group compilations :D

love the new 'group compilations when browsing' feature. I'm a big fan of compilations and have 300+ artists in my itunes library, but only about 150 albums, so previously the 'artists' column in the browser was littered with hundreds of artists that I only have one song by, but now thay are all under 'compilations'

woo. I'm really hoping this is included with the ipod update, that would be ace

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I am confused about the losses feature. I tried converting a random mp3 and the size went from 4mb to almost 30mb?!?!?

Attachments

• iTunes001.gif
    iTunes001.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 304
  • iTunes002.gif
    iTunes002.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 316

uzombie

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2004
Wanna bet?

Nemesis said:
There's NO WAY you can distinguish AAC@192 from the orginal CD, on a hi-fi equipment costing less than $50,000.
So, please stop worrying about it!
:rolleyes:

Maybe YOU can't, but there are many with superb hearing that can hear the compression/difference.

I heard that!

:D

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
memphismac said:
So does this mean I should re-import all my stuff?

I just bought an iPod a few weeks ago and I've imported a little over half of my CDs. If space on the iPod is a consideration (and it might be later on), should I reimport in this lossless/half the size stuff?

Brian,

If you imported using AAC and a decent bit-rate, then don't worry about it. The "half-size" file will still be larger than an AAC. It's half the size that a fully uncompressed file would be.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
:eek: OMG, I don't get the US-only reminder any more... is it because I've been browing the store for the last 2 hours or is it bacause... I dare not say it... someone outside the US check please!

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
MattG said:
Handy Concept for Concept Rock

Many music CDs contain songs that blend into each other, and importing them to iTunes may create a small gap between songs that interrupts the flow. If you use the iTunes Join Tracks feature, the program melds two or more songs into one, continuous gap-free track. So now you can enjoy listening to classical music, concept rock albums and extended dance mixes without the silent treatment.

I've been waiting for this!!!
Not to rain on your parade, but that's been around a while... I think it was introduced with iTunes 4, but might have even come earlier.

When I went to reimport all my albums as AAC, I went ahead and did this with a few things -- lots of Pink Floyd stuff, etc. But all it does is combine the tracks so they get imported as 1 file. I don't want the entire Dark Side of the Moon album to be one file! I ended up only combining the ones that I always want to hear together (Brain Damage & Eclipse, or -- from another Pink Floyd album -- The Happiest Days of Our Lives & Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2).

I would think that they could just make them play correctly without the little jump between tracks ... isn't that as easy as buffering the next song? The best workaround I've found is to turn on crossfading, and then take the slider down to 0 seconds. It's not perfect, but it sounds closer to how it's supposed to.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
denm316 said:
Song - Eminem - Sing for the Moment

128 kbps AAC - 5.3MB
830 kbps Lossless - 33.9MB
**It automatically chooses the bit rate for the lossless quality, hence why it is done is 830 kbps.

Thanks for doing that. I know now that 128 kbps will suit me plenty fine. I don't think my high end iBook internal speakers are going to make it sound much different either way... :)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Stewie said:
I am confused about the losses feature. I tried converting a random mp3 and the size went from 4mb to almost 30mb?!?!?

You *can't* go from a lossy format, such as mp3 to a lossless (or near lossless) format.

This lossless format is for importing your music CDs into a file that is half the size that the fully uncompressed version would be, but has the same sound quality.

Too bad they haven't provided more technical background information on this. People are really interested.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
That little CD jewel case insert printing feature is pretty nifty. I can actually portray me using that.

I had trouble finding it at first but then I stopped and simply told myself "think mac" ... command-P ... Bam! Worked. ^_^

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
adamberti said:
iPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector
-Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
-Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
-Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
-Improved playback performance
-Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

I'm totally not complaining but does this mean that my old school non-dock enabled iPod can't play songs that are encoded in the Apple Lossless Encoder? It's not a huge deal because from what I see above the file size difference is huge (I only have a 10gig iPod) so I'll be sticking to 128 aac... but mainly just curious. I can test it when I get home I suppose.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
srobert said:
That little CD jewel case insert printing feature is pretty nifty. I can actually portray me using that.

I had trouble finding it at first but then I stopped and simply told myself "think mac" ... command-P ... Bam! Worked. ^_^

Same here. I was ctrl-clicking on stuff trying to find it (on the jewel art, on the playlist, etc). Then I was like... hmmm... wouldn't "print" be where it *always* is? Bam! That's what I get for having to use Windows 2000 at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.