Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You'd get a phone in a white box, which is likely a refurb, unless you return the phone immediately after they issue a new model. So, for example, if you were to return a 3GS now, it would likely be a refurb, since over a month has gone by.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
It probably depends on how long you've had it. I noticed problems with my screen right away and when I went back a few days later they just did a "retail swap" for a brand new phone.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
You'd get a phone in a white box, which is likely a refurb, unless you return the phone immediately after they issue a new model. So, for example, if you were to return a 3GS now, it would likely be a refurb, since over a month has gone by.

Coming out of a white box does not mean refurb. Plenty of the white box generic phones have serial numbers for brand new phones.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I've had Apple replace one iPhone 3G. The replacement came in a white box. If it was a refurb there was no way to tell. It is perfect and looks brand new.

canadian420

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
TORANADO
You can't tell anymore by the serial numbers.

When the iPhone is 'refreshed' it is given a new serial number.

Apple does give refurb models, from my source (yes, even though i've only posted 2 times) say's all refurb models start wit ha 5K serial number rather then 8 etc.

you will notice if you have had your phone replaced (Canada) your serial number 99% of the time is now 5kxxxxxxxxx rather than 858 or 8xxxxxxxx etc. this goes for the iPhone 3G, I have not yet asked about the 3GS but I would assume, just like when the 3G came out, apple used NEW product, rather then refurb, as they had none send back to the factory for 'refurbing'.

Apple also notes all REFURB models, get a new exterior casing for the phone, and potential screen replacement's, and also new parts required for actually repairing the device itself.

I still don't get why apple does not get their mac genius team to repair the iphones, in other ways, then just replacing the screen, or iphone itself, the only reason I think they do this, as it is good on time, 15 minute appointment, 5 minutes to do the paper work, 10 minutes to replace and test out the screen.

Mr. Brown

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
If your phone is defective, does Apple give you a brand new one, or a refurb?
Depends. My 3G was defective after 6 months. They gave me a shiny new one, free of charge.

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Apple does give refurb models, from my source (yes, even though i've only posted 2 times) say's all refurb models start wit ha 5K serial number rather then 8 etc.

you will notice if you have had your phone replaced (Canada) your serial number 99% of the time is now 5kxxxxxxxxx rather than 858 or 8xxxxxxxx etc. this goes for the iPhone 3G, I have not yet asked about the 3GS but I would assume, just like when the 3G came out, apple used NEW product, rather then refurb, as they had none send back to the factory for 'refurbing'.

The whole 5K leading the serial number stopped shortly into the 3G lifespan. Apple even made an announcement about this.

New refurbs coming off the shelf almost always start with 8 something.

And I agree, for the first while, until the refurb pipelines are filled, they would've been giving out new phones. Or in the case where you are still in the return policy window, then odds are they will give you a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.