Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun offering AppleCare for the iPhone in Canada, allowing iPhone 3G and 3GS owners there to extend technical support and hardware warranties to a total of two years from the date of iPhone purchase. The AppleCare plan is priced at $79 in Apple's Canadian online store.

Despite having launched AppleCare for the iPhone in the U.S. shortly after the release of the original iPhone in 2007, Apple has been slow to roll out coverage in other countries, having begun offering iPhone AppleCare for customers in the UK earlier this year and in Asia Pacific markets only last month.

The Canadian AppleCare launch occurs just beyond the one-year AppleCare activation window for those customers who purchased the iPhone 3G at launch, and readers have reported that Apple Canada is not providing an extension for the affected customers.

Article Link: Apple Begins Offering AppleCare for iPhone in Canada

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
oh great. a little late for those of us who bought the iphone 3g at launch and have expired warranties already. blah.

swalaza

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
In Europe this can be called a rip-off because customers in Europe are entitled to at least 2 years of warranty at the point of sale. The duration of that warranty is not fixed, it is subject to the expected time of how long a product should be able to work.

Although this is not the factory warranty it has the same practical use for customers.

Why doesn't Apple set a trend to show everyone they really make proper products, which should work for a very long time, even in the hands of lame people? :rolleyes:

detoxguy

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Awesome news. Considering in Canada we sign a three year contract and are only eligible for subsidized pricing after 2 years I will finally have a warranty for the same amount of time I may have the phone!

Question: If I sell my 3GS next year in the event I want to get the next version would the applecare be transferrable to the new owner or cease when I no longer own the phone?

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Question: If I sell my 3GS next year in the event I want to get the next version would the applecare be transferrable to the new owner or cease when I no longer own the phone?

Yes. AppleCare does transfer owenership. The only thing checked for when reparing/replacing is the experation date. An Apple Genius will rarely care who you are as long as your products serial number is still within the service dates.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Drops?

Gotta hand it to Apple, they keep figuring out ways to separate me from my money! But I was wondering if Applecare would exclude the most common causes of broken iPhones: drops. If you drop it and break the glass, or something worse, would Applecare cover it? [I don't even want to think about all those people with water damage...people, stop putting your iPhone in your shirt pocket when you flush!!!:eek:

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Dropped iPhone

Does anyone know what I can do with a cracked glass on the iPhone?
What is best solution to getting it fixed or replaced or switched up to a new 3GS?

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
In Europe this can be called a rip-off because customers in Europe are entitled to at least 2 years of warranty at the point of sale.

Technically incorrect

The legal requirement is 1 year, the second year is a simplification of the requirement for the customer to prove the device was defective from date of purchase, which is hard to prove.

The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within a period of two years unless, at the moment of conclusion of the contract of sale, the consumer knew or could not reasonably be unaware of the lack of conformity.
Source directive Directive 1999/44/ EC emphasis mine.

Now how do you prove that a screen defect at say 18 months old was there from the start, and if it was, why did you not get it sorted earlier ?

before you had a long drawn out legal battle, now its a shorter legal battle :)

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
Gotta hand it to Apple, they keep figuring out ways to separate me from my money! But I was wondering if Applecare would exclude the most common causes of broken iPhones: drops. If you drop it and break the glass, or something worse, would Applecare cover it? [I don't even want to think about all those people with water damage...people, stop putting your iPhone in your shirt pocket when you flush!!!:eek:

no. applecare does not take care of dropped iphones.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Applecare excludes the things that will break your iPhone

Went into the Apple store today to confirm what I expected: Applecare for iPhone excludes damage cause by drops and liquids.
In other words the things that will most likely break your iPhone. This is not unexpected as one cannot expect insurance to cover this type of thing as it would be too expensive. But $80 for coverage for a second year for other defects seems a little too expensive. I'm on a three year contract as is pretty much required in Canada. If the coverage was for the full contract term for say $120 it would be worth it as I would be buying the peace of mind that my phone will last my contract. But if I am not even buying that piece of mind, the $80 isn't worth it. I expect the iPhone would either break down in the first year due to a defect, or the last year due to wear and tear. The second year insurance seems to miss the true need.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.