Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I always just download the youtube video as an MP4, and then I open it in Garage Band and delete the video track and export the audio track to iTunes. Works perfectly for me. :)

Sorry for being so ignorant but how do you save youtube videos as mp4s?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
If you want decent quality, the video should be downloaded straight from YouTube (note *no re-ecnoded*, use a tool like jDownloader for this), then demux the resultant mp4 to acquire the aac file inside. This eliminates a whole generation of loss, which is desperately need.

All this does is rip the audio from the video, there's no conversion and therefor loss of quality from the original YouTube video.

Last edited by a moderator:

williams51

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Hey, if you just want the audio from the youtube video, you can use some youtube converter to help you. The one I used can help me extract audio from youtube videos online with high quality, and you can also use it to help you get audio from downloaded youtube videos on your computer. I got many music in this way.:D

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Another option, although sometimes it might take a bit longer, is to record the streaming audio in realtime using Soundflower.

http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/

Once you have Soundflower installed, open your DAW (Garageband, Ableton, Logic, whatever) and choose Soundflower as your input audio device.

In System Preferences, choose Soundflower as your output device.

Now arm a stereo track in your DAW, then press play on the YouTube video.
You should see and hear the audio streaming directly into your channel in the DAW. Now just record that audio, and edit however you need. This gives you a clean recording with no added compression.

This works for any audio in your browser, or any system sounds, you can record any audio the system is playing, YouTube videos, anything in the browser, etc.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
I have read this and other posts and I am still a bit confused. I need to extract audio only from a few clips to then edit in garageband. I believe I want to use .wav since the application I am going to eventually use them in works with wav best. There were many suggestions here, but I was hoping someone could give me one or two for my use.

THANKS!

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Howto "download" audio only from Youtube vids:

Code:
> youtube-dl -t [B]--extract-audio[/B] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdXesX6mYUE

[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] CdXesX6mYUE: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] CdXesX6mYUE: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] CdXesX6mYUE: Extracting video information
[download] Destination: Pitbull_-_International_Love_ft_Chris_Brown-CdXesX6mYUE.mp4
[download] 100.0% of 79.12M at    2.09M/s ETA 00:00
[ffmpeg] Destination: Pitbull_-_International_Love_ft_Chris_Brown-CdXesX6mYUE.aac

youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter, version 2.x (x being at least 5), and it is not platform specific. It should work in your Unix box, in Windows or in Mac OS X. It is released to the public domain, which means you can modify it, redistribute it or use it however you like.

http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/

It's included in homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew)

Homebrew is the easiest and most flexible way to install the UNIX tools Apple didn't include with OS X.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
if you download the videos to your iTunes library, you can extract the audio track easily with my software (see below in my signature). You select a playlist containing your videos (from one to unlimited) and you choose the audio format and click export. For one video, it would be overkill but when you need to process several, it's a good option. But for the moment it will only list iTunes playlist as a source! I may add a Youtube option if requested! :p

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What!?! So many recommendations and no one suggested the easiest way to get audio from youtube which is FastestTube extension for Safari???

0y1kgGc.jpg

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
you could always use Videodownloadhelper or other firefox addon's or Safefrom.net. or they have websites just input Youtube URL and they will convert it for u.

I've never managed to download just the audio portion of a video, so i just grab the video "as it" ,,, Then right click and choose "encode video" and choose "Audio only" to create audio file. Need to enlarge popup, as options are hidden in Yosemite and up.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I use FastestTube as well, it works great. Although sometimes it doesn't allow me to download the audio only, then I grab the whole video, open in QuickTime Player and "export audio only..." - easy and fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.