Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
If I try to go on YouTube in Safari I get a message saying "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player." I downloaded the newest version as it prompted me to, but its still not working. I also checked I have JavaScript turned on, and I do. I just tried it in Firefox and it's working fine...

Anyone know where I'm going wrong? It was working perfectly earlier...

Edit: Also, I just tried the Ad Gallery on Apple's website and it says "Quicktime required for free download". What gives?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Several things to check:

1. The issue's obviously not JS-related, so check your plugins.
  2. Did you run the Flash Player 10 installer (and make sure it's the Universal one, if you have an Intel Mac)
  3. You'll need to close your browsers during the installation. If you didn't, you must manually restart them before they'll see the new plugin.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
Several things to check:

1. The issue's obviously not JS-related, so check your plugins.
  2. Did you run the Flash Player 10 installer (and make sure it's the Universal one, if you have an Intel Mac)
  3. You'll need to close your browsers during the installation. If you didn't, you must manually restart them before they'll see the new plugin.

What are plugins? I have Flip4Mac installed if thats anything to do with it? But I have been using that for ever...It was working fine, then next time I tired to watch a video, it just stopped working. I just tried installing the OSX Flash again, with the browser close, then restarted, and its still not working...:confused:

Salmar

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Florida
Okay I don't use firefox but the other day when I updated firefox to the newest version and tried to view a video on youtube I got the same message that you are receiving. I checked to see if java and javascript set and it was, and it was driving me nuts why I couldn't see the video on youtube. Then I went down to the bottom right hand corner and clicked on options and that was were the problem was. You have to ALLOW youtube to play and mine was blocked. I just clicked on allow youtube and then all was well.
Type in youtube in your address bar and then look down in the bottom right for options and then click allow you tube or words to that effect and it should work for you. Hope this helps because it was driving me nuts too.

Salmar

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Florida
Oops, I just saw where you were referring to Safari and it was already working in your firefox. I don't use safari either but perhaps there is a similar setting in Safari to enable you to see the videos. Apparently it's just being blocked somewhere in the Safari settings. Sorry I misread your original post.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have run software update, and everything is up to date. Also this seems only to be a problem in Safari, but no just with youtube, as the apple site won't stream quicktime either as I said earlier. I'm still lost on this, any more ideas? I havn't changed any settings that could have triggered this :confused:

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
I just re installed Safari, and it is still not working...I'm out of ideas...

Also reinstalled flip4mac...

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
Have you tried finding the .plist file for safari. It will reset your
preferences to the standard settings. Related to that might be have you blocked YouTube from activating flash there's an Orion in preferences under
content I think.

PTP

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
Have you tried finding the .plist file for safari. It will reset your
preferences to the standard settings. Related to that might be have you blocked YouTube from activating flash there's an Orion in preferences under
content I think.

PTP

If I delete the plist would it loose my auto fill and passwords etc.? Also, its not just youtube, no videos work on any site.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
Oh, simple fix. I ticked the "enable plugins" box in Safari Preferences.

Thanks to everyone who tried!

interchange42

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
I am suddenly experiencing the same trouble that Sk8mash reported here - except that the 'enable plugins' box in Safari Preferences has always been checked in my case, and unchecking it, then checking it again has not solved the problem. I also went through the whole Flash reloading, restarting etc., series of tests. anyone have any other ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.