Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to receive my iPhone 3g on the 11th. So far I have been very happy with my purchase and have found it a joy to use.

However... I have noticed that on at least 5 or 6 occasions in the past 48 hours the phone has switched itself off. I have set auto lock to 3 minutes, I have assumed it was locked, then when I have gone to unlock it by pressing the home button I have found that it was actually switched off and then have to boot the phone, unlock the SIM card etc. This is obviously very annoying as it means that I haven't been able to take calls / texts / e-mails etc.

Has this happened to any of you guys?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am guessing I may have to send it back to Apple or get it swapped, but I am reluctant to do this at the moment as I am fairly sure that there is absolutely no stock of 16gb iphones in the UK.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

EnglishMacGuy

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Anybody? I'd really appreciate some help / advice if any of you have experienced the same problem.

Cheers,

EnglishMacGuy

03sho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I switch mine off when I go to bed so I don't even keep it on for 24hrs let alone 48 but I've not had your problem.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to receive my iPhone 3g on the 11th. So far I have been very happy with my purchase and have found it a joy to use.

However... I have noticed that on at least 5 or 6 occasions in the past 48 hours the phone has switched itself off. I have set auto lock to 3 minutes, I have assumed it was locked, then when I have gone to unlock it by pressing the home button I have found that it was actually switched off and then have to boot the phone, unlock the SIM card etc. This is obviously very annoying as it means that I haven't been able to take calls / texts / e-mails etc.

I am guessing I may have to send it back to Apple or get it swapped, but I am reluctant to do this at the moment as I am fairly sure that there is absolutely no stock of 16gb iphones in the UK.

Cheers,

EnglishMacGuy

Doesn't sound particularly healthy, when you turn it back on is the battery flat?

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

I'd think they would have to keep replacements on hand.

Aren't there any laws in the UK regarding timely warranty repairs / replacements?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Are you maybe running the battery dead, so the phone shuts itself off because the battery has flatlined?

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
That doesn't sound normal - I leave mine on all the time and it never shuts off. It's worth trying a firmware restore before you return it.

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responses! On all occasions when the phone has switched itself off, the battery has been no where near empty.

I have had the security settings set quite high, with autolock / pass code lock etc - however, I can't imagine that having anything to do with it, but nevertheless I have removed all security features for now just to see if it makes a difference. If no joy by tomorrow, I will be straight on to the phone to 02 / Apple.

Cheers everyone,

EnglishMacGuy

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I'd think they would have to keep replacements on hand.

Aren't there any laws in the UK regarding timely warranty repairs / replacements?

Seeing as everyone is trying to get their hands on the new iPhone 3G, I can't imagine 02 have a stock of iPhone's sat on a shelf when they could get a new customer through the door. However, I hope I am wrong as your theory would work in my favour.

As far as laws in the UK go, I think they do have to provide me with a new handset, but in the interim period while demand for the iPhone is high, the replacement may not be an iPhone, however, I think they would endeavour to give you an iPhone when new stock arrives.

Thank you for replying to my post!

EnglishMacGuy

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Hi Guys,

My iPhone kept switching itself off which became more and more frustrating. Today I called 02 to see if I could get my handset replaced. I am pleased to confirm (despite being cut off from customer services 3 times) that 02 do keep reserve stock for scenario's like this (JeffDM you were right!) and I will have another brand new, boxed iPhone 3G by tomorrow morning (I called CS at 15:30).

Although I have had extremely poor customer service experience with 02 in the past, things seem to have changed for the better! Good work 02!!!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post!

EnglishMacGuy

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
same here

I bought mine from AT&T and mine does the same, I figured it was just a 2.0 bug as it happenes mostly when i go to try and open up an application. Doesnt happen often but it does happen. Im gonna wait for 2.1 to see if it still happens before I take it to Apple...

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Thats interesting jfreak623.... you are the only other person I have come across with the same problem. When it started happening to me it wasn't very often, but the frequency stepped up quite a bit as outlined above.

Perhaps get it replaced now as you may have more chance of getting an immediate replacement? Thats what I am doing, 02 had no issues with shipping me a new iphone immediately.

Thanks for your post!

EnglishMacGuy

tannytoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
yes, mine did exactly the same thing, I had the settings to auto-lock after 3 minutes and it shut off.
I took it back to the apple store to get it fix and they gave me a new phone. And just a few minutes ago, I was on the phone with a friend and turn off in the middle of my conversation.

That sucks!

redhanded

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
I've had exactly the same problem with my new 32G iPhone 3GS.

Every couple of days, the iPhone will just switch off and needs to be manually switched on again.

This has happened while I have been listening to music and also when the phone has been just sitting on my desk - when I have picked it up, it is switched off.

On every occasion, the battery charge has been >50%.

I've reset the iPhone and done a full restore but the problem still occurs.

I'll be bringing it back to the O2 store later today... the hardware has a year warranty.

EnglishMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Yeah, it's a real pain! In the end I called 02 and they sent me a brand new one - didn't even try and fob me off with a reconditioned iPhone - rightly so I think! (This all happened to me within 14 days of purchase).

If I were you, I would just give them a call, in my experience it is usually better to deal with Apple direct than 02 and their awful service - but if you have only just bought your iPhone, then try and get a new one out of 02 first.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
My 3GS keeps turning off. Once in the middle of call. A couple of times while using Safari and many times while using AIM.

naryn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
My 32GB has done this half a dozen times. Either i have gone to use it to find it off or on a couple of occasions it has turned itself off while i was listening to music. I originally wondered if it was over heating or something but it has happened now on a cold day.

I caught it do it once, i turned to the phone to use it, battery was at 99%, the battery value changed to 0% and the phone shutdown. When i powered it back up the battery was indicating 99% again.

I will be taking mine to the apple store where i bought it at the weekend for a replacement.

naryn

medharvest

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Help! I'm having this same issue. Everybody else had their problem resolved through warranty. But I am outside the warranty!

I have about 2 months left of my two year contract, then I'm switching to a Droid. But from now til then, I need this hunk of crap.

DESCRIPTION OF MY PROB:
Every day or two, my phone would just switch itself off. Then it became an every day event. For the last couple of weeks, pretty much every time I pulled it out of my pocket I would have to reboot in order to make a call or check email. Sometimes it refused to reboot until I gave it a power source (even though the phone was fully charged). I have been charging every night lately, do not use battery draining stuff (frequent email checks, wifi, etc).

Yes, I have plugged it into my Mac to sync thru iTunes and get the latest firmware, still no good!

Now my phone simply refuses to boot for any reason!

Has anybody had this issue and resolved it on their own (no warranty)? Does anybody know what causes it?

paula-g

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
Software update

I have an iphone 3GS and I've recently updated the software to 4.0. As soon as this was done, my phone started switching off (restarts automatically) in the middle of telephone conversations longer than 5 mins. Certain applications no longer work properly and kick me out immediately or at the end of a game. I've updated to 4.0.1 and it's still the same.

bigugly

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I have an iphone 3GS and I've recently updated the software to 4.0. As soon as this was done, my phone started switching off (restarts automatically) in the middle of telephone conversations longer than 5 mins. Certain applications no longer work properly and kick me out immediately or at the end of a game. I've updated to 4.0.1 and it's still the same.

Try going into settings then general, reset and reset network settings. I'm having the same issue but have tested it after doing the reset and the call stayed connected for 11 minutes until I disconnected.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Help! I'm having this same issue. Everybody else had their problem resolved through warranty. But I am outside the warranty!

I have about 2 months left of my two year contract, then I'm switching to a Droid. But from now til then, I need this hunk of crap.

You've proved the fact that anyone who keeps their 'phone for longer than one year should extend the Warranty with AppleCare.

24bbrou

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
answer

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

EnglishMacGuy

Its becausew of updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.