Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verloren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Hants, UK
I know, sacrilege, but just humor me! Is it possible to create something akin to an iso image in iDVD that can be burned on a Windows PC burner? I'd like to get a cheaper iBook, but really want to be able to create DVDs.

-v-

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Yes if PCs can recognize the .img extension (but I don't know if they can). Otherwise maybe Toast could convert an img to an iso or something (I haven't tried this though).

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
I think a PC should. Since all DVD/CD's are based on a similar file system, i guess it comes down to the PC counterpart. I know Nero on the PC side can read .img just fine (accompanied by its respective .cue file of course).

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
As far as I know, iDVD's only output is to burn to DVD. Either that or save it in their format (.dvdproj I think) and take it to another Mac with a burner.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Get the iDVD 4 "burn to external drive" hack. Once you have that, if you either command click or option click (can't remember which) the burn button on your Mac it gives you the option of burning it to an image file. It saves the file as a .dmg file. Rename this file to .iso and you should be able to burn it with your PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.