Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Does anybody know what measure of discount Apple offers for Government employees in the UK?

I can't find anything on their UK site.

Hoping someone here has experience of purchasing with Government discount.

Thanks in advance.

hornybloke

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Londinium
government purchase UK

I have tried and tested it. It works really well and you may need to show your works id if you're in an apple store. And if you do it via the internet, it's an obscure website. something like promo.euro.apple.com/epp.
Cannot find the exact title of the site right now, as this was from a 2006 discount brochure. But it is still valid and the (UK government) employee purchase programme still works.

Hope that helps;)

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
all student and work related discounts are 8%, higher education (purchasing in an on campus store or from your uni network) is 14%

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Depends what kind of work you do for the Government - I'm surprised any of them even need it, with the likes of MP's getting £15,000 extra a year.

hornybloke

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Londinium
Government purchase programme

kilamite wrote "Depends what kind of work you do for the Government - I'm surprised any of them even need it, with the likes of MP's getting £15,000 extra a year."

Not deviating from the thread, quite a few employees IN LONDON earn just £15000 in TOTAL :eek:(MP's and Senior Civil Service are different) and have to claim other benefits to survive! I am one of them and am hugely grateful for the Employee Purchase Programme.:apple::p

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
How can you tell if you work for a branch of the government which qualifies you for this discount?

The terms and conditions don't give any clue and i wouldn't expect anyone at work to have the foggiest idea!

I work for the DWP btw.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I work for the DWP btw.

Ring them and find out. I work at a local Council, but work for Capita seems I was covered under both cases. Though would've got 12.5% off at John Lewis had they actually stocked the bleeding Mac Mini I wanted (ie not the bloody expensive one).

WhiteNoiseMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
WOW i never knew as a government employee I could get Apple Store discounts. I really wish I knew about this years ago, I could have saved a small fortune! I'm guessing if DWP are ok for discounts HMRC will be as well?

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Yep, discounts from Apple and many other hardware and software companies are available to:
  • Government departments and employees,
  • education organisations, teachers and students,
  • non-profit organisations and employees,
  • retired people and pensioners,
  • department and employees of the appropriate company,
  • resller companies and employees,
  • other computer companies and their employees.
There are two provisos with all of these though:
  • you can not purchase the equipment for profit making business use, e.g. a student can't buy an cheap iMac and Adobe software and then set-up their own home-based desktop publishing / web-publishing business.
  • There is often a limit as to how many computers, etc. an individual person can buy in one year. This is to stop greedy scum simply buying and then re-selling on eBay.

This discounting is also available in many other business sectors. For example, I know someone who works for a book publisher. They get 50% discount on that publisher's books and 30% discount on many other publisher's books.

On top of this there are of course the usual store sales, end-of-lines, bundle deals, etc. In fact, only incredibly stupid people actually ever pay the full "Recommended Retail Price" for almost anything. ;)

bardel

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Hi, I'm looking to buy an iMac,

I've read the T&C's on the site listed above, it says that a govt employee can sponser purchases for their family members. My sister works for the Corporation of London which I think is the local government for London, (ie like any other local council I guess). As far as I know this is termed as a local government employee. Does anyone know if local government employees are eligible for this discount?

Thanks

Barry

hornybloke

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Londinium
Local government discount

Hiya, the discount ordinarily applies only to the Home Civil Service. The best way to find out if LOCAL government Officers are covered is by contacting Apple:apple: Sales , but I do not think they are included :(
Good luck.:)
NB: If the Apple site stated that you can "sponsor" a Mac to a family member, then it must be you, as the sponsor, who must be Civil Service. Your relative can work anywhere. I think you can buy up to 6 Macs a year at Gov't discount rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.