Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Hey guys, so basically, my 11 mo old mid 2008 white macbook's battery has only had 190 cycles, but it's already down to 70% battery life. It won't really hold much more than 2:30 of battery life. Apple has said that a healthy battery should hold at least 80% of battery health at 300 cycles. I follow their tips about making sure the battery isn't just sitting there, and to not just leave it there charged. Is this a problem? If I go to apple (I still have my warranty), could they check it out and replace it? I'm a student, so I really don't want to go and pay another $130+ to get a battery from them, and my warranty is almost over. Thnx :apple:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If they don't replace it, you can save a lot of money buying a replacement battery through eBay. There are online battery stores too, but generally the cheapest solution for batteries I have found is eBay.

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
They most probably will replace it for free, as as you said, they guarantee 300 cycles with 80% battery health.

Good! That's what I thought, and I guess I'll drop by the Apple Store sometime this weekend. Thanks!

If they don't replace it, you can save a lot of money buying a replacement battery through eBay. There are online battery stores too, but generally the cheapest solution for batteries I have found is eBay.

Alright, if they won't replace it, when time comes I might turn to it. I saw they had some for around 70 bucks, but the bidding gets annoying sometimes :D Thank you.

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Does any one know if I have Windows 7 boot camped, will it void my warranty? Should I remove the partition before going to apple? Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What you do software wise is not voiding the warranty.

And Boot Camp is a feature offered by Apple, so why should it void warranty.

But make a backup of your HDD in case they wanna keep the MB, which is highly unlikely in the first place.

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
What you do software wise is not voiding the warranty.

And Boot Camp is a feature offered by Apple, so why should it void warranty.

But make a backup of your HDD in case they wanna keep the MB, which is highly unlikely in the first place.

Ok, was just wondering because Windows 7 isn't officially supported yet for Boot Camp.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Alright, if they won't replace it, when time comes I might turn to it. I saw they had some for around 70 bucks, but the bidding gets annoying sometimes :D Thank you.

There are plenty of new batteries for your Macbook on eBay starting at $45 if shipped from Hong Kong/China or $55 from the US. These prices are after shipping, using Buy It Now, new from a reputable seller.. So you don't need to bother bidding.

A lot of times people spaz out when bidding and send products beyond Buy It Now prices.:eek:

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
There are plenty of new batteries for your Macbook on eBay starting at $45 if shipped from Hong Kong/China or $55 from the US. These prices are after shipping, using Buy It Now, new from a reputable seller.. So you don't need to bother bidding.

A lot of times people spaz out when bidding and send products beyond Buy It Now prices.:eek:

I'll remember to take a look at that too. I'm kind of paranoid now because I once bought a 4GB mp4 player from Hong Kong, and things seemed great, until it started going freaky and turns out it's only has a 1GB capacity. Seller's review = great, but couldn't get in contact with him.

razor-sex

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Manchester
Hey check my macbook white early 2008 battery seems to me it can be the luck of the draw weather you get a good battery or not sometimes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2.jpg
    Screen Shot 2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 861

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Hey check my macbook white early 2008 battery seems to me it can be the luck of the draw weather you get a good battery or not sometimes.

That to me seems pretty good! How is yours like that? Mine has 165 fewer cycles on it than yours, and is 17% less healthy than yours.:(

Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I'm wondering if the OP left his mb plugged in all the time, or if he used it regularly.

I use it regularly for school (so about 180 days), and i basically use a cycle per day. until recently, i've realized that i shouldn't just leave it in because a friend of mine told me, so i've been doing what they had on the apple website, to just charge it, and leave it in a cool dry place. i've done monthly calibrations and stuff, but i don't understand why it's this bad right now.:confused:

skorada123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
So I went into the Apple Store today. It was extremely busy, but the Genius took a look at macbook, and loaded the diagnostics software off the iPod nano he had with him there. The battery life was hanging around 80%, and he said it was pretty typical of a MacBook that's 1 year old. But he replaced it anyways. Thanks apple.

-- :apple: Rocks! --

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Hey guys/gals, I don't want to make a new thread but, what's the avg. battery cycle/load for a 28mo. old whitebook?

CocoBattery says:
Current Battery Charge

Current Battery Charge: 5186 mAh
Maximum Battery Charge: 5186 mAh

Current Battery Capacity
Current Battery Capacity: 5186 mAh
Original Battery Capacity: 5020 mAh

Additional Info
Battery-Loadcycles: 272
Age of Your Mac: 28Mo.

Is that bad?? should i get a new battery soon?

maclover7777

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
No. thats great.@!! You have a great battery!!

For example.
My bad one was at 1100 max charge when original was 4400 or so.
YIKES>> Huh.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
So I went into the Apple Store today. It was extremely busy, but the Genius took a look at macbook, and loaded the diagnostics software off the iPod nano he had with him there. The battery life was hanging around 80%, and he said it was pretty typical of a MacBook that's 1 year old. But he replaced it anyways. Thanks apple.

-- :apple: Rocks! --

thats awsome to hear :):) i hope the same thing happens for me haha

hi sorry to hi-jack, seemed a waste to start a new thread over it..

my MBPs battery is at 74% after 232 cycles. its the third battery ive had and there is no warranty left on the laptop. will they still replace it?

i also have my "backup" battery that reads 254 cycles and 79%, any chance of that being replaced?

it seems that i am pretty hard on my batteries ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
well i rang apple, and apparently my batteries are out of warranty.. (true, one is two years and one is 1.5years), but i was under the impression that this battery "scheme" ignored that, does anybody have any information on this?

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
from my last post about my battery... I just checked coconut battery, and it seems to me that the numbers are a little higher.

does this mean I re-calibrated it or something??

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 121

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
from my last post about my battery... I just checked coconut battery, and it seems to me that the numbers are a little higher.

does this mean I re-calibrated it or something??

No, all it means is that for at least this cycle, your battery is holding more than the optimum charge. For example, my CoconutBattery results compared to my friend Maxine's;

Mine (Black MacBook 2008 4,1) - battery kept active, drained and charged regularly
Current charge 4809 mAh
Maximum charge 5065 mAh
98% charge remaining
Current capacity 5065 mAh
Original capacity 5020 mAh
100% battery health
Load-cycles 219
Age of Mac 14 months

Maxine's (White MacBook 2008 4,1) - battery is usually connected to AC power
Current charge 4680 mAh
Maximum charge 4680 mAh
100% charge remaining
Current capacity 4680 mAh
Original capacity 5020 mAh
94% battery health
Load-cycles 178
Age of Mac 11 months

This kind of difference between capacities is mainly due to how you use your battery. Max keeps hers plugged in and that is causing the capacity to diminish though stagnation (imagine a pond silting up), and mine is used everywhere and I try to take good care of the battery, so mine is riding just above the original capacity.

andyhargreaves

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
Not wishing to boast, but a couple of Genius bar staff have commented on this. Bought my MB in October 2006.

battery.png

I use it almost daily (except when it's in having the cracked palm rest replaced for the nth time :rolleyes:), and try to always fully charge and discharge the battery. Currently the battery lasts me about 3h of averagish use (i.e. web/email, office apps).

Andy

Addictedtomacs

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
my macbook

hi there im just wanting to know if my macbook is in good condition for its age, its 31 months old and its health is 71% and it has done 522 cycles is that good ? thanks :)

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
My MacBook is 46 months old and the battery health is pretty poor at only 69% health with 378 cycles. This MacBook is used so my guess is the previous owner kept it plugged it in alot which has caused the diminished capacity. Getting about 2 hours with basic internet browsing and iTunes use; going to purchase a new one soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.