Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I've lost the four finger trackpad gestures after the update, as expected. So, I checked the Extensions directory and found the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file is still the "hacked" one. I still went through the move-copy-reboot (after Permissions Repair) procedure in earlier threads, in case the file simply got corrupted. However, it's still not working.

Anybody with a Rev A experience this and, if so, found a fix?

TIA

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Works fine for me. Got KEXT again, replaced, fixed permission, reboot, voila.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Strange... I had to rerun fix disk permissions twice and both times it complained about the same permission problems. After the second reboot, I got my four-finger track gesture back...

jamshah

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Works

I replaced the same old kext replacement that I saved and forgot to repair permissions. Rebooted and trackpad + keyboard wouldnt work. Rebooted in safe mode, which apparently repairs permissions, and now all gestures work fine.... Rev. A of course.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
All working now. Thanks for confirming that the old "hack" still works. It made me stick with the procedure until I got it working again. :)

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Sweet, the old hack worked perfectly for me, as well.

Don't forget to repair permissions before restarting. Otherwise you'll lose your keyboard and trackpad. Glad I had a Jaadu VNC on the iPhone.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
For those who want to repair permission quicker, which completes in 0.1 second.

Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext
sudo chown root:wheel .
sudo find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
sudo find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
sudo find . -name AppleUSBMultitouch -exec chmod 755 {} \;
sudo find . -name MultitouchHID -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Type this in terminal. (Type your own pass once when asked.)

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
For the record, the version number the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext was:

v189.29.1 (10.5.6)
v189.32 (10.5.7)
v189.35 (10.5.7)

I tend to just edit the kext myself - it's just adding six lines of text, but you have to be aware that the kext itself it stored in a cache (Extensions.mkext), so often a couple of reboots and invokes of the cache are required.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
For the record, the version number the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext was:

v189.29.1 (10.5.6)
v189.32 (10.5.7)
v189.35 (10.5.7)

I tend to just edit the kext myself - it's just adding six lines of text, but you have to be aware that the kext itself it stored in a cache (Extensions.mkext), so often a couple of reboots and invokes of the cache are required.

Aha! That was probably my problem. It took three reboots to re-activate the four-finger trackpad gesture for my MBA...

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Aha! That was probably my problem. It took three reboots to re-activate the four-finger trackpad gesture for my MBA...

This got me wondering, and in the man page for kextcache, I found this little gem, which might solve this problem for future updates:

NOTE: Kernel extension installers should not use this program to update caches. Instead they should merely touch(1) the /System/Library/Extensions directory after they have finished, which will cause the system to update all necessary kernel extension caches.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
This got me wondering, and in the man page for kextcache, I found this little gem, which might solve this problem for future updates:

NOTE: Kernel extension installers should not use this program to update caches. Instead they should merely touch(1) the /System/Library/Extensions directory after they have finished, which will cause the system to update all necessary kernel extension caches.

Nice find! Thanks! I'll try to remember that next time

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Nice find! Thanks! I'll try to remember that next time

You can watch it happen. Right underneath Extensions.mkext (which I believe to be the first cache file), a temp file will be created before replacing the .mkext.

advaadva

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
My keyboard and my trackpad both are not working. I tried to replace the hacked file with the 'real' AppleUSBMultitoch.kext and still- my keyboard and my trackpad are dead.

So, I think I need the hacked file that you have (please post here the link) and than I'll do reboot in safe mode(how am I doing this??)
THANKS

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
My keyboard and my trackpad both are not working. I tried to replace the hacked file with the 'real' AppleUSBMultitoch.kext and still- my keyboard and my trackpad are dead.

So, I think I need the hacked file that you have (please post here the link) and than I'll do reboot in safe mode(how am I doing this??)
THANKS

It's possible that it's a hardware problem; however, do the keyboard and trackpad work as the computer is booting? If they do, then maybe you should look into resetting the SMC:

SMC -- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

and possibly the PRAM

PRAM and NVRAM == http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

To boot into single user mode, you need to hold down the Command and S keys as the machine boots.

advaadva

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
It's possible that it's a hardware problem; however, do the keyboard and trackpad work as the computer is booting? If they do, then maybe you should look into resetting the SMC:

SMC -- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

and possibly the PRAM

PRAM and NVRAM == http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

To boot into single user mode, you need to hold down the Command and S keys as the machine boots.

on safe mode both working, and also while rebooting..
the problem caused while trying to re-active the four fingers multi-touch feature after an update to 10.5.8, both my keyboard and my trackpad are not working. I tried to replace the AppleUSBMultitoch.kext but still- I have an alert that this file is not installed correctly (every time I turn on the macbook pro)
I think that all this happen because my "repair permissions" doesn't work correctly- it's always repair the same things, and the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext is not on that list!

How can I make my disk utility repair things?!
Someone know what I need to do in order to repair the keyboard & trackpad?
All the SMC rebooting is related?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
How can I make my disk utility repair things?!
Someone know what I need to do in order to repair the keyboard & trackpad?
All the SMC rebooting is related?

If you have an external keyboard/mouse, you can use disk utility to repair the packages; however, if you don't, you can try booting into safe mode, mounting the file system and running:

repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs

advaadva

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
If you have an external keyboard/mouse, you can use disk utility to repair the packages; however, if you don't, you can try booting into safe mode, mounting the file system and running:

repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs

I'm now in safe mode but a regular repairing permissions still repair the same things!
and I did not understand what should I do with the "repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs"

Should I run it on terminal?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
I'm now in safe mode but a regular repairing permissions still repair the same things!
and I did not understand what should I do with the "repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs"

Should I run it on terminal?

Sorry, yes...

/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs

This can also be accesses via pkgutil command using the --repair.

Poking around on my system, AppleUSBMultitouch.kext is part of 3 pkgs

pkgutil --file-info /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext
volume: /
path: System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem
pkg-version: 10.5.3.1.1.1188305148
install-time: 1233381189
uid: 0
gid: 0
mode: 40755

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.7
pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192
install-time: 1242176533

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.8
install-time: 1249516851

So, you can run the following from the terminal..

pkgutil --repair com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem

advaadva

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Sorry, yes...

This can also be accesses via pkgutil command using the --repair.

Poking around on my system, AppleUSBMultitouch.kext is part of 3 pkgs

pkgutil --file-info /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext
volume: /
path: System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem
pkg-version: 10.5.3.1.1.1188305148
install-time: 1233381189

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.7
install-time: 1242176533

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.8
install-time: 1249516851

So, you can run the following from the terminal..

pkgutil --repair com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem

I don't know what all of this pkg that you wrote.. but I did run "pkgutil --repair com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem" in the terminal and it did a lot of things.. also errors and missing things.
:\

advaadva

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for helping me! I finally got it right! (after 2 times of Combo update and a lot of terminal things..)

THANK YOU!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.