Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genereyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
northern VA, USA
Does anybody know what a sync error -39 is and how to fix it?

I have iTunes 7.4.2 on my MacBook Pro. This error started popping up about a week ago. All my music, movies, podcasts, contacts, and calendars sync, but this error appears when I try to sync photos:

The iPod "..." cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-39).

This appears for both my 4th gen 20 GB iPod and my 2nd gen 8 GB nano. Although this error message does not appear for my Apple TV, the Apple TV entry has a warning icon to the right where the eject button would be for the iPods.

I have tried rebuilding my iPhoto '08 library - didn't work. I tried Disk Utility on my hard drive - it verified the disk properly and permissions are fine. Any ideas?

Galak Fyarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I had the same problem with a 30GB iPod Video with software 1.3, iTunes 8.1

for some unknown reason, it suddenly had problems syncing the pictures and the same error message appeared.

I simply restored my iPod, and now it works fine again. I can't help for Apple TV though.

genereyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
northern VA, USA
Not sure which update did it, but the original errors I had have been OBE. Haven't had these issues for more than a year, and I think it was one of the later updates to iTunes that fixed it. If not that, then it must have been aTV 2.0x...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.