Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inertiazero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way to listen to my ipod classic while charging it via usb with my work computer.

It doesn't have itunes and I'm not allowed to install itunes on this computer either.

So while I'm charging it will display the "do not disconnect" flashing txt on my ipod screen until I "safely remove hardware" from windows.

Is there a way where I can charge my ipod AND listening to music at the same time given my situation?

Thanks

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
As long as there is a usb2 port on your work computer you can charge your Ipod. I don't have itunes at work but I bring my cable with me to charge my Nano. Windows sees it as an ipod when it's plugged in and you have to use the safely remove hardware button in the tray to remove it.

luckyhuss

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
if you stop the ipod via the "safely remove hardware" button, the ipod won't charge though you will be able to listen to music. Instead since you don't have iTunes, go to "My Computer", right click the iPod drive and click "Eject". Your iPod will continue to charge and you'll be able to listen to music too.
When you are done charging, at this point click the "safely remove hardware" button.

Enjoy

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
My manager charges his shuffle from his work PC all the time with no problems.

I think the issues arise when you've got an iPod with purchased music on it and you hook it up to a system with iTunes on it. A friend lost a bunch of tunes that way that he hadn't backed up (why they weren't still on his HD is beyond me)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.