Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have a black 2nd gen nano that no longer works because I was charging it one day and it got really hot and wouldnt turn on anymore. I called apple and they said they couldnt replace it because it wasnt a saftey hazard. The rep suggested I leave it alone for a few days and try to charge it again. Well this was a few weeks ago and have been busy and forgot about it but today I plugged it in an after 10 minutes it got so hot it burnt my hand and I had to use an oven mit to unplug it.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
The 2nd gen nanos are what 3+ years old now (?), it's well out of warranty regardless, if you're that worried about it, take it into an Apple Store and see what they have to say about it in person, rather than over the phone.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
The 2nd gen nanos are what 3+ years old now (?), it's well out of warranty regardless, if you're that worried about it, take it into an Apple Store and see what they have to say about it in person, rather than over the phone.

There are and mines out of warrenty but the have replaced 1st gen nanos and 1 second gen for me in the past because of this issue.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
They need to have proof. So take it to an Apple Store, explain what happened, and then they will see if it happens again, then they will see what they can do.

TEG

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
There are and mines out of warrenty but the have replaced 1st gen nanos and 1 second gen for me in the past because of this issue.

The 1st Gens were in Taiwan only (Possibly, the article is on MR somewhere), and that was because the batteries were exploding... If you're worried, take it to an Apple store, see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.