Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctorbighands

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
I have original install discs for OS X 10.1 and 10.3 (Panther). There is one 10.1 disc and three Panther discs. The Panther CD labeled "Disc 1" says "Upgrade Disc" on it. Does that mean I have to have another version of OS X installed in order to use it?

The 10.1 CD won't boot. I hold down option at boot, and it doesn't even show up.

The Panther CD 1 gets me as far as the dreaded circle-slash.

How on earth do I get OS X installed on this machine?

I managed to get Linux installed on this machine without a hitch. Why is it so much harder to install a _native_ operating system?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you.

Frustrated,
-Nick

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I have original install discs for OS X 10.1 and 10.3 (Panther). There is one 10.1 disc and three Panther discs. The Panther CD labeled "Disc 1" says "Upgrade Disc" on it. Does that mean I have to have another version of OS X installed in order to use it?

The 10.1 CD won't boot. I hold down option at boot, and it doesn't even show up.

The Panther CD 1 gets me as far as the dreaded circle-slash.

How on earth do I get OS X installed on this machine?

I managed to get Linux installed on this machine without a hitch. Why is it so much harder to install a _native_ operating system?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you.

Frustrated,
-Nick
Well, it won't load 10.1 because, IIRC, it originally came with 10.3. And you can't load 10.3 because those are just upgrade discs.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Well, it won't load 10.1 because, IIRC, it originally came with 10.3. And you can't load 10.3 because those are just upgrade discs.
There is a way to make a regular install disc from an upgrade disc. First you need to create a copy of the 1st 10.3 install disc onto your computer. Once you've done that you need to delete the file that checks for a previous install on the iBook. Once you've done this, re-burn a copy onto a CD and bingo! You have a real install disc. I've done this with 10.3 upgrade CDs. To find this file, do the following:
Open the CD and open the System>Installation>Packages>Essentials.pkg (right click, select "Show Package Contents" >Contents>Resources> and then delete the file called "CheckForOSX.

doctorbighands

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
There is a way to make a regular install disc from an upgrade disc. First you need to create a copy of the 1st 10.3 install disc onto your computer. Once you've done that you need to delete the file that checks for a previous install on the iBook. Once you've done this, re-burn a copy onto a CD and bingo! You have a real install disc. I've done this with 10.3 upgrade CDs. To find this file, do the following:
Open the CD and open the System>Installation>Packages>Essentials.pkg (right click, select "Show Package Contents" >Contents>Resources> and then delete the file called "CheckForOSX.

This sounds wonderful. The only problem is that I only have access to Windows and Linux machines; I've just tried to view the disc contents on both, and neither one will show the contents. ARGH!!

If only I had access to a functional Mac, I could do this. I guess I'm going to have to wait.

Thank you, though, for the tip. I do really appreciate it.

doctorbighands

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Okay, so I finally got my hands on a full retail version of Panther. I was excited, thinking I could FINALLY get OS X installed on this blasted machine. I inserted the disc 1, let it try to boot, and...

...circle slash.

What is the deal here? Any help is very much appreciated.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Hmm, does the CD spin up at all? I'm leaning towards there being a problem with your CD drive. Try holding Option when you turn it on, and see if the computer can see that you have a CD in.

circle-slash typically means that a boot/system file cannot be found. Shouldn't be a problem because they are on the install CD, but if it's only looking at the HD, the of course it will circle-slash

doctorbighands

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
I know there's nothing wrong with the optical drive, because I used it to install Linux.

The disc spins up when I press and hold C (or when I hold Option and select the disc), I see the apple logo, then I see the circle-slash.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Ok, I was doing some searching on your problem. Someone suggested resetting the NVRAM. when you boot hold apple-option-p-r and wait for everything to start. let go of the keys after the 3rd chime

doctorbighands

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Ok, I was doing some searching on your problem. Someone suggested resetting the NVRAM. when you boot hold apple-option-p-r and wait for everything to start. let go of the keys after the 3rd chime

Hmm...I tried this, and I still get the circle-slash. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Well my friend, I am out of feasible ideas. The only things i can think to do now are:

1. Use another mac to install 10.3 to a firewire drive and try to boot it with that
2. Download a copy of 10.3 or 10.4 and see if you have the same problem (for testing purposes only!!)
3. Replace the logic board

Of course, if you want to waste the time you can go to an Apple Store and see what they think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.