Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Duke Nukem 3D for the iPhone has just made its debut in the App Store. This version of the popular first person shooter game first appeared in 1996 for the PC, with subsequent ports to other platforms along with multiple expansion packs and add-ons made available in the years since.

113135-duke nukem.jpg

TouchArcade has taken a first look at the app, noting that it "appears to be a rather full implementation of the PC original" though there are some on-screen analog control issues that hamper gameplay. According to a post in the TouchArcade forums by George Broussard, who co-authored the original game, these issues will be reviewed and addressed in an update.

Duke Nukem 3D (link opens iTunes) became available in the App Store yesterday evening and currently has an introductory price of $2.99.

Article Link: Duke Nukem 3D Now Available in App Store

Harpo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2006
I remember finding a demo of this on a MacAddict CD and playing it through repeatedly. Then I tried to rent the N64 version and my mother wouldn't let me, favoring the more child-friendly Banjo Kazooie.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I used to play this game all the time. I wonder if the strippers with tassels made it to the iPhone port. :D

I'm debating on buying this during my lunch break...

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I would buy it if it has the cheat codes like Wolfenstein 3d on the iPhone did... I'm not good enough at FPSs to play most of them without it.

Ericatomars

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Chicago IL
nuke em' if you got em'

ha, i loved this game on playstation... I dont think i would get the app but if i came out on ps3 that would be amazing... I think I had all 3 duke games or 2 i cant remember

g3signal

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Controls are a bit wonky. I think the Doom controls are a lot better. For me it's a classic and enjoying it but hope they do some improvements in the next update.

I have an iPhone 3GS and it runs great.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Controls are a bit wonky. I think the Doom controls are a lot better. For me it's a classic and enjoying it but hope they do some improvements in the next update.

I have an iPhone 3GS and it runs great.

It doesn't run that great on the 3GS. There are times when the framerate doubles (walking into the corners of rooms with not many textures) and then the framerate halves when there's a lot going on.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Refresh my memory, but what did Duke Nukem 3D run on when it came out? What processor speed?

I remember running this game on my Gateway that I bought in 1996. It had a 133 MHz Pentium processor, 16 MB of RAM and a 1.33 GB hard drive. It also ran Windows 95.

I would say that the iPhone 3G S could run this with no problems, unless it was a really, really, REALLY bad port.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
meh it RUNS fine on a 3g too. doesn't block the fact that the controls, like for any fps on the iphone, are absolutely TERRIBLE and unplayable.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yeah it ran fine on my P100 Gateway system. The 3GS is definitely more than capable of running this game better than it does. But the framerate at times is definitely all over the place.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I remember running this game on my Gateway that I bought in 1996. It had a 133 MHz Pentium processor, 16 MB of RAM and a 1.33 GB hard drive. It also ran Windows 95.

I would say that the iPhone 3G S could run this with no problems, unless it was a really, really, REALLY bad port.

Yeah, that was what I seemed to remember (but I think it was even slower than that...I'm thinking 33 MHz). Maybe not having a keyboard causes some issues.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
In the PSO version the strippers were with the tassels, but the geisha girls are in the sample pics on the App store, do THEY do what they used to?:D

I think I am gonna have to get this one, I found my old copy last week and was about to play it, this may be in the stars for me.

Edit: Geisha girls have a bikini on now under kimono. Controls are a little odd and will take some getting used to, but even though only five minutes with it, it is workable and well worth it, I love it. Now hopefully the update won't be vaporware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.