Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.1 for Windows to improve trackpad performance for users running Windows XP or Vista under Boot Camp.
This update improves the performance of the Apple Multi-Touch trackpad when running Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista on a Mac computer using Boot Camp.

For information on how to install this update, please visit this website: About the Multi-Touch Trackpad update 1.1 for Windows XP and Vista.
The update weighs in at 3.93 MB.

Article Link: Apple Releases Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.1 for Windows

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
When installing bootcamp on Windows 7 x64, after updating to the latest version, the boot camp tray application no longer loads on startup and it will not load if I try to open it myself, which is really annoying because I am unable to customize the trackpad behavior or even use the keyboard buttons as they would function inside of OS X.

I hope an update fixes that issue first as I'm not going to load up x86 and deal with memory addressing issues. I have 4GB of RAM and would like to use it all.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
The trackpads on the newer Apple notebooks haven't been behaving properly under Windows.

Quite true, I had to apply the older 1.0 trackpad update in order for it to even track correctly, and even then, the button clicking was haphazard at best, and like I said, in Windows 7 it doesn't even run..

orson3g

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Shows up in the Apple Software Update for Windows (XP Pro), downloads, claims to install, but doesn't. I tried a manual download and get the message that this update is not for my computer (17" MBP 2.66). The Apple page detailing the update states it's only for MacBooks and the MacBook Air.

Here's to hoping that the 17" folks (and presumably the 15" folks) get some love, too, as the Touchpad without a button is completely worthless in Windows at the moment. If anyone out there has a workaround, please post it. Thanks.:mad:

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Just installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (from MSDN) - I have the 15" 2008 unibody macbook pro.

OMG the trackpad actually works now!!!!!! Finally! The oversensitive problem is gone. Two finger "right click" also works!

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Just installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (from MSDN) - I have the 15" 2008 unibody macbook pro.

OMG the trackpad actually works now!!!!!! Finally! The oversensitive problem is gone. Two finger "right click" also works!

Can you please explain to me how you installed bootcamp on that machine? after updating to the latest version of bootcamp in win7, it ceases to load the keyboard manager tray-icon, and won't even load manually, and this is using the official updater and everything, i've even tried using the files by themselves off of apple's website or 'download only' from the updater, nothing seems to work.

This is also a late 2008 unibody mbp with technet win7 x64 ultimate rtm

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Can you please explain to me how you installed bootcamp on that machine? after updating to the latest version of bootcamp in win7, it ceases to load the keyboard manager tray-icon, and won't even load manually, and this is using the official updater and everything, i've even tried using the files by themselves off of apple's website or 'download only' from the updater, nothing seems to work.

This is also a late 2008 unibody mbp with technet win7 x64 ultimate rtm

I just installed it on bootcamp, then run the CD that came with the macbook pro. That's it.

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
I wonder how this will translate for Fusion and Parallels virtual ware users.....my guess is that they will have to update their drivers to include this fix in the next several weeks.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
I just installed it on bootcamp, then run the CD that came with the macbook pro. That's it.

I wish I could say that works for me, but it just doesn't.

The program that does all the actual bootcamp stuff just refuses to run after being updated which sucks.

cgtyoder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Fresno
It's about freaking time. The trackpad driver in Windows was just pathetic. Must have given the job of writing it to a summer intern. Who drank a lot at work.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Odd, trying to install this under my Win7 x64 bootcamp partition. I've tried installing normally, and with compatibility settings for both XP and Vista and every time I run it I get the error message "This update is not intended for this computer and will not be installed." Anyone else having difficulty installing this? I'm trying to install on a June 2009 15" uMBP.

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that Windows already had the latest drivers before I even attempted to install this update, odd.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Did anyone else have to do a three-finger right click?

I have a Late 2008 Unibody 15" MacBook Pro with 64 bit Windows 7.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Did anyone else have to do a three-finger right click?

I have a Late 2008 Unibody 15" MacBook Pro with 64 bit Windows 7.

I used to have to do a three-finger right click, but after this update this is fixed and the behavior is two finger tap to right click.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Oh it does? Because in boot camp control panel I see nothing about tap to click. Where are you seeing this setting?

See attached.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 237

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Hopefully this will fix the BSOD problems I had in vista 32 on my 13" uMB after I installed Skype. I had to reinstall vista from scratch to fix it and just refused the mtouch update.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Yup had tons of crashes relating to the .dll file used by their mouse drivers in vista n windows 7. Disabling the trackpad stopped all issues. Let see if this update fixes that.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
the oversensitivity made the trackpad totally unusable. I hope this fixes it. /me reboots into win7x64

edit: still overly sensitive...but its better than what it was before. it doesnt accidentally double click anymore when set to tap to click when i move using the trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.