Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uncletammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
I got a little water on my phone and when I attempted to open it up to let it dry out, I damaged the connector on the PCB for the ribbon cable marked "3" (J2). The connector on the board needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a part number for this or could someone point me in the right direction for getting a replacement? What is this cable for anyway? Thanks in advance!

uncletammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks Uber but thats not my problem. The broken part is the ACTUAL CONNECTOR on the motherboard, not the ribbon cable assembly. Ive done plenty of googling on the subject but to no avail.

Its just not a common problem because most people are more careful when taking their phones apart. Im going through an interesting stage in my life where I turn everything I touch into ****. This is just one example. Anyone got anything else?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I tried googling "iphone 3g ribbon connector" and got some hits. Are those what you are looking for?

uncletammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
No, its the connector on the PCB (mainboard, motherboard, logic boad, big printed circuit board). Its the thing the ribbon cable plugs into.

uncletammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
It shouldnt. I just need a part number. How is this connector even secured on here? It looks to me like its glue.

emarch25

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
Was just curious if you found a way to repair or replace the ribbon connector #3. I'm having the same issue.

Thanks
elizabeth

michalko.j

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Did the grey latch break off or the entire connector? Also what does the ribbon connector control? Don't think an opened iPhone has a flag like a water damage indicator. Mine didn't set off bells at the apple store anyway. I'd take it in for replacement by showing them something doesn't work.

Edit: Forgot it was water damaged

tien-.-nho

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
I got a little water on my phone and when I attempted to open it up to let it dry out, I damaged the connector on the PCB for the ribbon cable marked "3" (J2). The connector on the board needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a part number for this or could someone point me in the right direction for getting a replacement? What is this cable for anyway? Thanks in advance!

hi i have the same problem.. just wonder if u found a solution for that yet?

dreid98

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009

I just did the same thing. Were you able to get this sorted out?

baobab

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
I have the same problem, some instructions said to flip up the white tab and pull the ribbon out of the black housing, but I guess on some iPhones, including mine, the colors are switched, so destroyed the white housing and forced the ribbon out, breaking two pins in the process.

I found the same site, but it didn't look like they sold retail, only 100 pieces at a time, and it didn't have a price, if anyone successfully bought from them, it would be great to know how it works and if you were successful in replacing the connector.

arturm

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
baobab I sent them email asking for quote and they offered me $9 a piece
I am still waiting for delivery ... I will post here when I get it and hopefully install it

ONebulus

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
baobab I sent them email asking for quote and they offered me $9 a piece
I am still waiting for delivery ... I will post here when I get it and hopefully install it

:eek:

I had tracked this part down a few days ago but failed to see the "inquire" button. Thanks for the leg work.

I assume that the pins on your board, and your ribbon cable are still good, but you destroyed the ZIF connector? (This is my scenario)

Can't wait to see how long it takes them to mail it to you and whether this repair can be pulled off as easily as it appears it can! :p

Good luck and keep up posted.

stesell

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
I smashed the screen on my iPhone 3g and purchased a replacement off eBay, my Dad tried to surprise me by fixing it for me, and now the screen is fixed but I can't hear anything when I dial someone or someone calls me, so I assume he's damaged this cable 3 thing, I was just wondering if there is any way of fixing it? or if I took it into an apple store and played dumb and just said that the ear thing stopped working, if they would replace it for me? The phone doesn't look as if it was dropped or ever had broken screen, but what would they do if they swapped it for me and then found out the screen was a replacement?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Ste. (Ireland)

BusyLo

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Same problem

Hi guys
I have the same problem with broken connector and I was able to find it at:
http://acos-china.diytrade.com/sdp/597366/4/pd/4827026.html
it is $9 each + shipping
you can pay with paypal
I have just ordered mine and hope it will arrive soon so I can fix my iphone
good luck to you too

I too have the same problem. On my 3G Ribbon #3 there was a thin white cover, seemed almost like paper. Then there was a black clip that I could flip back and forth. The white cover was so fragile it fell apart in pieces. When I used tweasers to flip the black clip back, it broke off. Now I can talk all I want but cannot hear anyone...could be a good thing ;)

My question is about the part you are ordering from diytrade.com. It is called "Connector for Light Sensor Flex". I'm wondering if that is the same part I actually need.

I still have the little black clip, but there seems no way to re-attach it, it is so tiny.

Are we talking about the same part?

I thought it was the earpiece ribbon, so why would they call it "light sensor flex"?

I tried to a use small piece of high-end electrical tape to attach the ribbon back to the mainboard, but it didn't work.

Let me know how it works out for you.

baobab

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
I smashed the screen on my iPhone 3g and purchased a replacement off eBay, my Dad tried to surprise me by fixing it for me, and now the screen is fixed but I can't hear anything when I dial someone or someone calls me, so I assume he's damaged this cable 3 thing, I was just wondering if there is any way of fixing it? or if I took it into an apple store and played dumb and just said that the ear thing stopped working, if they would replace it for me? The phone doesn't look as if it was dropped or ever had broken screen, but what would they do if they swapped it for me and then found out the screen was a replacement?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Ste. (Ireland)

I guess it depends on what sort of genuises you have, but more likely than not they'll just give you a new one straight away, and it shouldn't be a problem if you're the original owner. I bought a broken screen iphone off of ebay, fixed it, didn't put the cable back in properly, so it wouldn't even turn on, went to the apple store to try a diagnostic test, and the guy wanted to give me a brand new iphone, no questions asked, even though it was clear that I wasn't the original owner, but I told him the truth.

ONebulus

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
My question is about the part you are ordering from diytrade.com. It is called "Connector for Light Sensor Flex". I'm wondering if that is the same part I actually need.

Oddly the claim is this ribbon controls both the earpiece and proximity sensor. You can test this by putting your hand close to the phone, the screen doesn't go off, but should stay lit if the entire clip is disconnected.

debo3381

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
Hey everybody! I'm really glad I found this forum because I have the same problem.

I found a connector on eBay for $9.99 with free shipping so I ordered it a few minutes ago.

Does anyone have any idea on how to install this connector? Does it need to be soldiered? Glued? Do I just rip the old one off? :confused: :confused:

Any information would be greatly appreciated! I'm starting to freak out over here :eek:

wilsorjg

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys, same problem also! I got a damaged iphone from work for free as it had a cracked screen. In trying to replace it, i got a little rough and broken the grey housing on top (which i can only presume is for protection). With it came a few copper wires. I have now worked out the way insert the cable (by lifting the white bit and slipping in and then closing again).

When i do so and connect the other cables I can still turn it on but i get a white fuzzy screen. Now is this because this cable 3 also transfers the clear coloured picture to the LCD and therefore needs all copper wire making a connection or is the dodgy picture from my cracked LCD screen?!

I'm very interested in knowing if anyone manages to replace this component incase i have to.

debo3381

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
Your screen is white because the lcd is broken and needs to be replaced. Mine was white too and I replaced it but broke the ribbon 3 connector in the process. My lcd is now working fine without the ribbon 3 connected.

wilsorjg

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Your screen is white because the lcd is broken and needs to be replaced. Mine was white too and I replaced it but broke the ribbon 3 connector in the process. My lcd is now working fine without the ribbon 3 connected.

I see you put that you've ordered a replacement. I'm very interested how you get on with installing it.

Do you have any idea how the ribbon affects the phone? I mean i have about 1 or 2 copper pins missing from it (but can still lock it in place) should that affect anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.