Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I'm going to New York soon and I could use a good tip calculator. Over here in Finland we don't have a tipping culture so I'm not used to just doing tip calculations in my head, thus an iPhone app would be handy.

But there's a gazillion of them in the app store. Which one should I get, which ones should I avoid like plague?

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I used that one too, and it is very good. I have switched to mTip, however, because it is even simpler and does everything you need on one page. It isn't as attactive, but for straightforward function, I haven't found anything better. (I admit I have stopped looking though, so there may be something else.)

Here is a link.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
How about your brain? This isn't a smart-ass answer, but just a little advice. Take 10% of the final bill and double it. It's very easy and will be acceptible at any US restaurant.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
How about your brain? This isn't a smart-ass answer, but just a little advice. Take 10% of the final bill and double it. It's very easy and will be acceptible at any US restaurant.
Since 15-18% is considered standard, this advice would be generous, at least in my part of the US. kas23 is right that it would be acceptable in any restaurant. It most likely would be very appreciated, particularly if the service is special. (I'm not trying to start a flame war about proper tipping levels, honest.)

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I use Tipulator but have to admit, I never use it. I always end up calculating the tip in my head. I just liked the app...lol

Although, I figure it may come in handy when splitting the check with people...who knows!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
The tip is usually based on the pre-tax bill, so I usually divide the final total by six and round up (or down if I'm feeling less generous) to the nearest dollar. Assuming 8% tax, that's about 18%.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How about the stock Calculator App that comes with your iPhone? I don't understand the need to buy another App to do a simple calculation.

You want to leave an 18% tip? Just enter in the bill amount (the amount BEFORE TAXES) and multiply by .18
For example, if the bill amount before taxes is $15.32 x .18 = $2.76 tip

You want to leave a different percentage tip? Just substitute that percentage into the above.

BTW, I've noticed that some restaurants print the tip amounts on the credit card receipt. It would show you what your tip would be at 15%, 18%, 20%. I like that, but you have to be careful, as they may be basing the percentage on the post-tax amount.

idunk

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
How about the stock Calculator App that comes with your iPhone? I don't understand the need to buy another App to do a simple calculation.
Haha yeah i have to agree. It's the easiest thing to do and it's free.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006

You want to leave an 18% tip? Just enter in the bill amount (the amount BEFORE TAXES) and multiply by .18
For example, if the bill amount before taxes is $15.32 x .18 = $2.76 tip

You want to leave a different percentage tip? Just substitute that percentage into the above.
agreed

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
I like CheckPlease Lite, which is free, and also allows you to split the bill and round the totals. Sure I could use the calculator app, but I couldn't resist the cool dials for tip percentage and number of people in your party.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
personally

I say the 10% works well $55 bill 10% 5.50 15% $7.75 20% $11.00 not hard to work out between 15%-20% the other simpler way is then grade your service 15% average 20% vg if they were amazing sometimes I go as high as 25% bit these are rare birds price of meal say $63.40 now open Calculator app already on iphone. and lets say you decide 17% to be difficult 63.40 X 0.17 your tip would be 10.78 or I would round up $11 now you can spend that money on other apps.

NY2GO

Frommer's New York

New York subway

well you get the idea! IMO you really don't need a tip app! ;)

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Don't be that guy that uses a tip calculator. They are reserved for the elderly that eat dinner at 4pm. Just tip about 20%. Service people always appreciate good tippers and some make a living on it.

Seriously, don't be that guy.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Don't be that guy that uses a tip calculator. They are reserved for the elderly that eat dinner at 4pm. Just tip about 20%. Service people always appreciate good tippers and some make a living on it.

Seriously, don't be that guy.

LOL! Even though I bought Tipulator, I agree. Never use it...I just like the little piece of candy that's part of the icon :D

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Tip calculators are a joke! I would look like an imbecile behind a maid trying to calculate a service on my iphone guessing the %.

butchseaman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
Texas
Tip calculators are a joke! I would look like an imbecile behind a maid trying to calculate a service on my iphone guessing the %.

you sure do bitch about things a lot. if you don't have something positive to say don't say anything

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
you sure do bitch about things a lot. if you don't have something positive to say don't say anything

What if your tip calculator calculate $2.91 and you only have a $2 coin ?
What if your tip calculator calculate $2.91 and you only have a $5 cash ?
What if two cents are missing ?

See what i mean?

Should i bring my money/coin jar ?

Shark131

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Double the total and move the decimal point over. Servers will thank you, They don't like 10% especially since tips ARE what they live off of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.