Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Hello,

Usually on this site for video stuff, but I figured the people here would be able to help me out.

Wondering what/where the people here would recommend for scanning old 4 x 6 photos into electronic form. Because there is such a limited amount of information on photos of this size I was looking for the scanning to be done at fairly high resolution (not just terms of pixels, but in the sense of the scanner being to pick up what is there), and fairly color accurate.

I'd want the scanning to be done professionally, but this would be for non-professional use.

Where would I start? I know nothing about this kind of thing, other that consumer scanners are not suitable for this task. Would Kinko's, for example do a decent job on this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
HI.

Kinkos may have a descent scanner, but you would still be the one running it. This is a copy center, after all. I would call reputable camera shops in your area and see what they charge. Don't take photos to anyone who doesn't specialize in photos. I had something like this done with an 8x10 at Robi's Camera in my area. Cost about $30 for the scan, an 8x10 print and the file on CD. I seem to recall that the scan fee was about $8. This is just an example. They only do walk in work and don't have web services.

Dale

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Pop into costco and speak to the guys in the photo lab. Our costco will scan old photos and put them onto disc for you for the cost of a cd.

It's not an offered service but they will do it if your nice.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
scancafe.com if you have a lot of them. I just sent 2000 negatives their way. Great service with an unbeatable price. You will have to wait a couple of months for the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.