Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
WASHINGTON (CNN) - It may just be pocket change for the richest man in the world, but Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates has been fined $800,000 by the federal government for violating an antitrust rule.

The technical incident has nothing to do with the government's massive antitrust battles with Microsoft (MSFT: Research, Estimates).

Gates, whose fortune has been estimated at more than $40 billion, ran afoul of the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department's Antitrust Division for his purchases of stock in a drug company and a waste-hauling firm.

The Justice Department said Gates has agreed to pay the civil penalty to settle a charge that he violated "premerger reporting requirements."

In a civil suit filed in federal court in Washington Monday, the department said Gates' error stemmed from his acquisition of more than $50 million in voting stock in ICOS (ICOS: Research, Estimates), a drug maker, in May 2002.

The government said Gates did not qualify for an exemption to federal notification requirements because he intended to participate in the business decisions of ICOS through his long-standing membership on that company's board of directors.

The Hart-Scott-Rodino Act of 1976 imposes notification and waiting period requirements on individuals and companies over a certain size before they can complete acquisitions of stock or assets valued at more than $50 million, the Justice Department said.

"The case filed today is not related Gates' position in Microsoft Corp. or the department's antitrust litigation with the company," the department said in a statement.

The Federal Trade Commission said it had warned Gates about a similar reporting infraction when his personal investment trust bought shares of Republic Services Corp. (RSG: Research, Estimates) in November 2001. The acquisition brought his stake to more than 10 percent of the outstanding shares of the waste-hauling company.

Antitrust rules require that entities must file with the government when their holdings exceed 10 percent of a company's stock.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/03/technology/gates_penalty/index.htm?cnn=yes

idkew

macrumors 68020
Yeah, billy got fined $800,000.

If the average person in america is worth $75,000 (prolly a high estimate), and since gates is worth $40,000,000,000, the fine, when translated into averageness is a $1.50 fine to you and i.

(correct me if my math is wrong)

stoid

macrumors 601
idkew said:

If the average person in america is worth $75,000 (prolly a high estimate), and since gates is worth $40,000,000,000, the fine, when translated into averageness is a $1.50 fine to you and i.

I'd LOVE to buy this guy's couch. Think of all the 'loose change'!! :D :D ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
idkew said:

Your math is right. And that is really ridiculous, $800,000 and it is literally a drop in the bucket. Just amazing how much money that man has.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
idkew said:

Sure, it's peanuts alright. But you've got to keep the comparison in real perspective because where they may fine me $35,000 for illicit financial activity, they are hardly going to fine him 20 million clams.

Besides after appeal it'll probably be whittled down to a couple of bucks and six minutes community service helping old ladies cross a very narrow road. :eek:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
MongoTheGeek said:
It sounds kinda bogus. Yeah, he should have filled out the paperwork saying that yeah he was buying some of the company but he wasn't buying it as part of a take over attempt which is the point of the law.
Yeah, but under that law (and most others) it doesn't matter why you did something--the rules are there for a reason, and if you don't follow them, you get dinged for it. Consider that $800K an "I was too lazy to follow the rules like everybody else." penalty.

Same as if I buy a car and don't license it properly. Doesn't matter that I'm a good driver and had no intention of doing anything bad with the car--I'm just going to drive it to work--I still have to fill out the paperwork like everybody else. That's the only way to make sure everybody does it, including the people who don't want to because they're planning something untoward.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Makosuke said:
Yeah, but under that law (and most others) it doesn't matter why you did something--the rules are there for a reason, and if you don't follow them, you get dinged for it. Consider that $800K an "I was too lazy to follow the rules like everybody else." penalty.

I agree that he should pay the appropriate penalities. My worries are two-fold. One, that he was being witchhunted. Can't get him for what we want so lets just nail him to wall for technicalities. Two, I worry that people are gloating abouthim finally getting his comeuppance over something trivial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.