Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo reports on details regarding Apple's rumored tablet computer from a source believed to have had access to information on the device. The source reports that the device will look much like a large iPhone, complete with home button and black plastic back, and offer a 10-inch screen. The source claims:
"The device, which I've held mock ups of, is going to have a 10 inch screen, and when I saw it looked just like a giant iPhone, with a black back -- although that design could change at any time" they said, "with the same black resin back, and the familiar home button."
Additional information includes the existence of two models, one including a webcam and one designed for "educational use" presumably lacking a webcam of any sort. The device will also reportedly cost $700-$900 and and may have the ability to serve as a secondary display and touchscreen input device for existing Macs.
To make up for that cost and make the device more than just a big iPod there was, this person claimed, there was talk of making the device act as a secondary screen/touchpad for iMacs and MacBooks, much like a few of the USB screens that have come out in recent months from Chinese companies. Very interesting.

Article Link: Apple Tablet to Offer Webcam Option, Serve as Touchscreen Input Device for Macs?

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Can't wait! I'll be in line the day it's released. I wish September would just get here already!!!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Interesting.. sounds like an audio/video IM device, and media controller (in addition to the standard iPhone/email/web functionality).

The big screen would be perfect for Cover Flow/album art.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
touch screen controller would be sweeeeet.

Multi-touch controller would just be one way to use it.

It could also be a remote desktop for your Mac, offloading processing and junk to the main computer.

There has to be more ideas from Apple. This thing has to be revolutionary or incredibly easy to use for it to be a success.

HDTV viewer? Even at 10", it would be unconfortable to hold and look at for more than a few minutes.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I was hoping I could get by with this device for school rather than replacing my aging PowerBook G4 with a new MBP, but I'm thinking it won't happen.... Sounds more like a companion product rather than a netbook.....

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
hey guys, I've seen this device and here's what it looks like... but even if it changes, I warned you it might, so I'm still right.

:rolleyes:

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Is a web cam really that expensive or great enough distinction to make separate model?
It needs to be a little more special to make it appealing at $700 or more.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Interesting...

It's going to be interesting to see exactly what Apple comes up with. I would still like to see them follow through with their docking idea where basically you'd take your iTablet and slide it into a 24" screen to turn it into an iMac. If you could use the iTablet as a touchscreen for your mac I guess that'd be nice...it would be cool if it could be used as a wacom tablet replacement...although it'd have to be very sensitive to do that. A touchscreen interface for the AppleTV would be nice too although I use my iPhone for that.

I don't really see where they're going with the iTablet...but I'm hoping that they come up with something compelling and awesome. If anyone can do it, Apple can.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Touch Screen

I just had an amazing idea of a way to use this guy. If it could really act as a second screen, or secondary interface for existing macs, I hope its wirelessly.

Connect the iProd to mb wirelessly, have MB connected to HDTV wired. Bingo, awesome connectivity.

We will have to wait and see though...

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
These rumours are starting to sound more and more ridiculous. Good to see Apple's counter spionage forces functioning fully.

EvanAgee

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
DFW Texas
Very, very interesting!

There are so many potentially great uses for this tablet when combined with all of the great apps that could potentially be written. A control interface for audio production software, a graphics tablet app maybe? It really seems like a take-off on the whole multi-touch trackpad idea, but much better and more exciting.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Slap in an an infrared emitter and that would also turn it into the ultimate universal remote control (with a proper app).

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
This rumor has two of the features I'd want most out of a tablet to expand its functionality. I really would like it to be used as a secondary screen and/or interface device for another apple product, be it an imac (preferably) or an :apple:TV.

I envision a charging dock that connected to the computer would allow it to be used as a secondary screen. It would also be the conduit for putting content on the device for on-the-go video/audio/etc. If you could also use it as touchscreen interface, that'd be awesome, particularly depending on the resolution.

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
The current build of Snow Leopard will be the last before adding tablet connectivity facilities which have been held back until the last moment before addition.

/MassiveSpeculation :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.