Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnFa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I've reached my 5 computer limit of authorization. Problem is, I've only used two computers as I have been reinstalled Windows a few times this past year. Is there any way to get around this, or will it mean I won't be able to sync my phone correctly anymore?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you contact the iTunes Store support nicely they can reset all your authorisations returning it to 0. You can then re-authorise your current 2 computers.

And in future remember to de-authorise before reinstalling Windows :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I've reached my 5 computer limit of authorization. Problem is, I've only used two computers as I have been reinstalled Windows a few times this past year. Is there any way to get around this, or will it mean I won't be able to sync my phone correctly anymore?

There is a way to reset and start all over. You will then have 5 and need to authorize your current 2 and have 3 left.

Always deauthorize before re-installing or changing computers.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Log in to your account in iTunes. On the page with your details like CC and address etc. there's an option to deautorise all five machines. It only appears when you've gotten to four or five authorisations.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Log in to your account in iTunes. On the page with your details like CC and address etc. there's an option to deautorise all five machines. It only appears when you've gotten to four or five authorisations.

I it also only lets you do it once a year, so if you've done it already in the past twelve months the option will not show up.

JohnFa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for all the tips and info guys! I've always forgot to deauthorize the accounts before reinstalling. Never even thought of it actually.

Thank you!

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I it also only lets you do it once a year, so if you've done it already in the past twelve months the option will not show up.

Didn't know that. I haven't deauthorised iTunes a couple of times because I figured the option would always be there. Thanks for the info.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
And in future remember to de-authorise before reinstalling Windows :)

Um, no thanks. It's extremely user-unfriendly to require something like that - not to mention conceited.

Frankly, this "authorized" computer business in iTunes is antiquated. All iTunes content is now DRM free, correct (or is at least working towards that)? If it is DRM free, there is no need to authorize devices or computers.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Um, no thanks. It's extremely user-unfriendly to require something like that - not to mention conceited.

Frankly, this "authorized" computer business in iTunes is antiquated. All iTunes content is now DRM free, correct (or is at least working towards that)? If it is DRM free, there is no need to authorize devices or computers.

Yeah, that "De-authorize Computer" option in the iTunes menu is so unfriendly.

Apps are still DRMed. Music is not.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

How else would you enforce a 5 computer limit?

Music is DRM-free. Video and apps still use DRM.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Yeah, that "De-authorize Computer" option in the iTunes menu is so unfriendly.

Yeah it is - when you have to remember to launch iTunes and de-authorize your computer before you reformat. Or before your OS won't boot. Or before your hard drive goes bad. Or before your laptop gets stolen.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
How else would you enforce a 5 computer limit?

Music is DRM-free. Video and apps still use DRM.

The point is WHY would you enforce a 5-computer limit if there is no DRM? Video and apps should also be DRM free. But then again, this is Apple we are talking about, the company that tries to protect users from their own (assumed) stupidity.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
There's no chance of DRM-free purchased movies anytime soon, mainly because people would be much more likely to pirate something that costs twenty dollars than something that costs them $1.30 and the studios aren't buzzed about providing nice clean encodes for the net to share.

And they obviously need DRM for rentals.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The point is WHY would you enforce a 5-computer limit if there is no DRM?

There is DRM.

Video and apps should also be DRM free.

Should be. But they are not.

But then again, this is Apple we are talking about, the company that tries to protect users from their own (assumed) stupidity.

Do you really believe it is Apple insisting on DRM for video?

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
There's no chance of DRM-free purchased movies anytime soon, mainly because people would be much more likely to pirate something that costs twenty dollars than something that costs them $1.30 and the studios aren't buzzed about providing nice clean encodes for the net to share.

And they obviously need DRM for rentals.

Explain how "authorizing" a computer would be needed instead of just logging in with an Apple ID. DRM content can only be played through iTunes or quicktime. So, in order for a person to share the content they would also have to share their Apple ID log in information.

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
you can reset all your authorizations quite simply and then just reauthorize the ones you like I don't think you can just keep the ones you want though you have to reset all of them.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Explain how "authorizing" a computer would be needed instead of just logging in with an Apple ID. DRM content can only be played through iTunes or quicktime. So, in order for a person to share the content they would also have to share their Apple ID log in information.

I don't know technically what authorisation does so I can't compare the two methods. I might venture a guess that whatever it does sounds better to
Apple's content providers than a simple login system.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Because you can't limit a song to 5 computers if you can just login anywhere you want without keeping track of authorized computers.

SuBGirL

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
Thank you for the helpful tips regarding this matter, i was wondering what i was going to do if i ever reached my limit of 5 computers.

Also...authorizing/deauthorizing and signing in and out of itunes for each person using the same comp does not stop bought apps from being shared.

My boyfriend has an iphone and i have an ipod touch. His iphone was synched to his comp..which died..and my ipod was synched to my comp. When he moved in with me we wanted to synch his iphone to my comp and after spending almost 6 weeks surfing the net to see if it was possible we just bit the bullet and went for it, and it worked. However, we seemed to be sharing the same library..mainly because we had no idea what we were doing..so after his iphone had been backed up and i logged on to my account i was somehow able, accidently, to install all of his bought songs and apps (about £300 worth) onto my ipod. I'm still not entirely sure how we did it and i wouldn't know how to do it again, but if Apple are making things so hard for everyone so they can try to prevent people sharing bought apps and music between their friends, they're failing miserably lol.

OneRyt

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010

Agreed. The idea that I can't use as many devices as I like... Well... that right there is restricting an aspect of freedom. Wtf? What if I have an iPod, an iTouch, an iPhone, an iPad and multiple macs in my house? What if I use each device for different particular circumstances?

it's ludicrous.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Agreed. The idea that I can't use as many devices as I like... Well... that right there is restricting an aspect of freedom. Wtf? What if I have an iPod, an iTouch, an iPhone, an iPad and multiple macs in my house? What if I use each device for different particular circumstances?

it's ludicrous.

You can sync as many devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) as you want. The 5 computer limit is only for Macs and Windows PCs.

nuarva

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
I changed the power supply, motherboard and intel cpu but used back the same hard disk and desktop casing. itunes prompt me to authorise my computer for itunes store. How can this be? the hard disk is still the same hard disk. i hope my itunes account has not been hijacked and someone else is using it?

ghamauricio

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I think all of this authorization limits is nonsense. What if you have more then 5 computers? What if you account all the computers in your home, plus the one in your work, and the one in your holiday house or something that will account for more then 5?

Also, there should be an option to LIST all the authorizations that computer has. Or will you have to remember you authorized your own account, plus your sister's for some reason, and your naphew's or something?

As has already been commented, there is always the possibility of windows going kaputt, or your HD doing so, or your laptop being stolen or something.

This is all ridiculous!

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I changed the power supply, motherboard and intel cpu but used back the same hard disk and desktop casing. itunes prompt me to authorise my computer for itunes store. How can this be? the hard disk is still the same hard disk. i hope my itunes account has not been hijacked and someone else is using it?
It's based on a Hash - not just your hard drive - you change enough components and the authorization system cannot tell your computer from another one by the same manufacturer.

Hard drives are way too generic to be used as the qualifier - they need to be able to tell your system from another - Windows does the exact same thing with it's anti-piracy scheme in Windows.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.