Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
I would like to know what everyone's favorite import settings are for importing music into iTunes...

What is the advantage (if any) to using MP3 when I hear that better compression now exists (such as AAC)?

Is there any certain format that is recommended for classical music?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
alexf said:
I would like to know what everyone's favorite import settings are for importing music into iTunes...

What is the advantage (if any) to using MP3 when I hear that better compression now exists (such as AAC)?

Is there any certain format that is recommended for classical music?

One advantage is that MP3 is pretty much universally recognized. AAC is less common.

It depends on your needs--if you want to play your stuff through a good stereo, you'll want a higher encoding rate than if you're listening only on your ipod in the subway.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Is AAC really so much better than MP3? I read one review by someone who wrote that LAME-encoded MP3 files were superior to equivalent-bitrate AAC files...

Anyone else find this?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
alexf said:
Is AAC really so much better than MP3? I read one review by someone who wrote that LAME-encoded MP3 files were superior to equivalent-bitrate AAC files...

Anyone else find this?

ALOT of things on the internet aren't true, they are fanatic people trying to make you believe in something for some reason or another. I could sit here all day and write to you telling how AAC is superior to MP3, WMA, ect...
But the only way for you to TRUELY find out is to do a test; rip a CD in MP3 then rip it again in AAC and listen to them and they decide which is better.

I did that, and AAC won hands down.

Edit: Oh yea! look at my macrumors user name! :D ;)

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
MP3 format with Variable Bit Rate Encoding, Highest Quality, 48,000 kHz sample rate, and 320 kbps stereo settings.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
When I switched from SoundJam to iTunes, I reripped all my CDs into AAC and put the AACs into my library rather than my SoundJam-ripped MP3s. I'm now regretting that. I ripped the AACs at 128, since I'm only listening on my computer and don't have space for 160, but the MP3s were ripped using VBR and usually ended up somewhere around 138-140. With all the hype over AAC, I assumed the difference in quality would be either minimal or worth the saved space. I was wrong. The difference in sound quality is noticeable -- not always, but frequent enough -- and it's the "saved space" that's minimal to nonexistent.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I use 160kbps MP3 so I can play these on my Tivo or Linksys wireless (whichever I end up getting).

Im not an audio junkie, I just enjoy music. Frankly I can't even tell the difference between MP3 and AAC, unless I am really trying to. But really? who sits at their desk (audio pros excluded) and wonders...."I wonder what this song would sound like at 320 AAC???"

In the words of Billy Joel - "Its still rock and roll to me"

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.