Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
I keep getting soliciting calls from a telemarketer. It's always the same number and when I pick up, nobody is there. Is there a way on the iPhone that I can input a number and have it blocked when it tries to call me? Thanks!

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Is your phone jailbroken? I used to have the same problem and jailbroke my phone just so that I could stop this kind of thing. The problem with mine was that I was being harassed by an idiot who was threatening me (by hiding behind a withheld number!). Anyway, if it is jailbroken you can take a look at MCleaner, which was free the last time I had a look, and iBlackList. I used to use the latter, but you have to pay for that. I know iBlackList allows you to stop all sorts of things, and is a brilliant app. I don't have the need for it now though, as I think the "idiot" got tired of being hung up on automatically!! :D. There is no need for my iPhone to be jailbroken now :eek: ...

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
AFAIK not on the iPhone's default feature but if you're with AT&T (at US) you can add Smart Limits and be able to block up to 15 (telemarketing) numbers. Mind you that's $4.99/month.

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
Or...

Just make a Silent ringtone. Make an address book entry called "Blocked" and add numbers as you go. Cheapest way I've found.

At least you wont get bothered by it ringing.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Or...

Just make a Silent ringtone. Make an address book entry called "Blocked" and add numbers as you go. Cheapest way I've found.

Yeah, but they can still leave voicemails....which is why I'm using iBlackList.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
No, my phone isn't jailbroken. Funny thing is, I install Trapster and they ask for my phone number. I input my number so I have an account setup. Stupid me. 2 days later I start getting soliciting calls. I since deleted the app, which was crap anyways, but the calls aren't going away.

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I keep getting soliciting calls from a telemarketer. It's always the same number and when I pick up, nobody is there. Is there a way on the iPhone that I can input a number and have it blocked when it tries to call me? Thanks!

Let me guess are you receiving a phone call from (732) 941-0140 ? they call me and then they hung up all the time.

Its funny I was going to ask the same question today on how to block some numbers.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Doesn't the FCC prohibit telemarketers from calling cellular phones? Maybe that is why nobody is ever on the line when you pick it up. I got a couple similar calls in the past. I called the number back and got an automated message saying to press 1 to remove my number from the list. I never got a call back from it again.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
The number I keep getting is a Baltimore, MD number: (410) 685-1008. When I try to call them, all I get is a busy signal. They hang up as soon as I answer my phone. They don't leave any voicemails, at least not yet.

Harman M

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
There are GSM codes that can do that. Go google the code and put in the numbers in your keypad.

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
The number I keep getting is a Baltimore, MD number: (410) 685-1008. When I try to call them, all I get is a busy signal. They hang up as soon as I answer my phone. They don't leave any voicemails, at least not yet.

If you google search that phone number you'll be able to find out which company is calling you. I've done it and found a forum about it. Very annoyed people, like you. Fortunately it seems that they will stop calling you if you ask them to.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Okay, went to their website and selected to stop calling me. Hopefully it will work. Thanks.

10smom

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
USA
Out of the millions of apps out there, there is not one to block incoming phone #s without jailbreak? Someone will make a killing when the figure this one out.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Out of the millions of apps out there, there is not one to block incoming phone #s without jailbreak? Someone will make a killing when the figure this one out.

It is probably in that Google phone app that Apple didn't approve :rolleyes:

The silent ringtone is the best option, even if they leave vmails you have visual vmail on iphone and can delete them much easier.

As much as I enjoy the iphone, there are lots of nice simple features missing on the phone side of things... not just the mms issue :)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I used to get the "Your warranty on your vehicle has expired"... one about 45x. even removed myself from the list and they still called. last I heard the company that was doing it was getting sued because of it. they were so bad they actually made the news.

ag55

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
theres an app for that too.

google voice would have been best but there has to be something else, i think blacklist did this but im not sure

fishstacks

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
The reason they don't pick up is that they're on autodialers. The phone just keeps calling people at a certain rate per hour, and if there aren't enough agents available to connect, it seems like there is nobody there.

If you wait like 30 seconds you might get connected to one, then you can ask them to take you off their list.

brian5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
Or...

This is the way that I've done it. I have one phone book entry called "Junk" (and I'll create more as necessary) that has 5 numbers associated with it so far. I have a "Silence" ringtone, associated with this Junk entry, that I have attached :)

EDITED: Oh darn it, I can't upload the "silence.m4r" ringtone that I wanted to upload. And MacRumors stops me from just uploading a renamed one such as silence.gif

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

it has nothing to do with someone not able to create an app for it. In order for a call filter app to work, it has to be running in the background right? since no jb iphones do not allow apps to run in the background, whats the point of making an app for it?

brian5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
it has nothing to do with someone not able to create an app for it. In order for a call filter app to work, it has to be running in the background right? since no jb iphones do not allow apps to run in the background, whats the point of making an app for it?
Apple should add this phone block capability into the next version of the Phone app. That would solve the problem.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Here's a SILENT ringtone.

Just Add a contact. Call it anything you want, like BLOCKED or DO NOT ANSWER or whatever. Then assign it this ringtone.

Attachments

• Silent.zip
    592 bytes · Views: 183
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.